Player Discussion: Ehlers

jetsnblues

Jan 23, 2021
Who will be the first to beg to be traded after watching Mo's continued "never ending love" for CSW? Ehlers or PLD? (Great song by the way...to us old folk anyways)

An old quote to go with your old song "winning fixes everything" .............I love Ehlers and if we have a winning team I would hope he accepts his role but if not then he leaves, like I feel about patty I am gonna miss him but if you are not happy and don't want to be here.....goodbye, don't need unhappy players around

ElLoboBlanco

Jan 20, 2021
Really weird direction this thread has taken.

I think Ehlers has been the teams best winger for a couple years and his point totals will explode next to PLD.

Add in Statsny(Perfetti in the future) and that line is hopefully/likely a possession powerhouse 5vs5.

My guess is Ehlers will be really happy here for a long while.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Once again Ehlers back at sub 14mins a night...

Once again KC back with Chef and Wheels, and 21plus minutes.

What happened to Ehlers deserves more toi and to play against the best Mo? :laugh:

Honestly, don’t care if he is on the second line, especially now when PLD is here, but those mins need to go up, or we will loose Ehlers aswell.

This I just can’t understand. The other guys are playing 50% more than him, it’s a huge discrepancy. Laine already left due to usage (to the best of my understanding), so why do this to Ehlers?

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
After watching his game grow I believe he is one of the most underrated players in the NHL. We are blessed to have both he and Connor under Long term deals.

I have tremendous faith in our management of this team! Including Maurice by the way!

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
This I just can’t understand. The other guys are playing 50% more than him, it’s a huge discrepancy. Laine already left due to usage (to the best of my understanding), so why do this to Ehlers?

That gap won't last and isn't even worth discussing knowing the PLD is going to centering that line soon.
I honestly think the top line is being overplayed a bit due to Laine being injured the last 4 games and the jets finding themselves behind as often as they are.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles

Whilee could be right in what he wrote. I faintly remember Paul alluding to something like that. Could also be a coincidence (though it feels like a trend).

If I remember correctly 5v5 distribution was pretty even across the top 6 last season plus/minus 30 sec or so. Can't really complain about that. I think it just all adds up when you don't PK, 2nd/3rd pair 4v4, playing PP2, 3rd/4th pair on 3v3 and last guy out on 6v5. The real issue in my opinion is not Connor/Chief/Wheels playing 20 min a night (most of the time their play warrants that), it's Paul not finding bigger roles on special teams for Nikky. His strengths seem to lend themselves very well to less players on the ice and it simple isn't being utilized properly I think.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Typical PoMo line/ time management of his roster.
KC may be the golden boy goal scorer now, but Ehlers is a play-driving, puck-carrying dynamo, with smooth speed. Most exciting player to watch and hopefully has regular point scoring success to match his talent and play domination. He will be the Elite-Ehlers before long.

JetsJets

Jul 8, 2014
I know it's hearsay, but especially with all the rumours of the locker room drama over the last couple years... it seemed like Patty was one of the few that made Nik feel at home here in the locker room. I sincerely hope Nik is not the next to go. I remember when some wanted to ship him out after his, what 20 game playoff stretch without a goal...

There will always be 'some' who want something, and there will always be hearsay. I and I am sure many others (including you apparently, so we agree) hope he will be a career Jet. And while there have undoubtedly been ups and downs for him over the years – like for any other person – I have always had the sense going back to Day 1 that he fits in great with this team.

Screen-Shot-2021-01-25-at-10-22-29-AM.png

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
That gap won't last and isn't even worth discussing knowing the PLD is going to centering that line soon.
I honestly think the top line is being overplayed a bit due to Laine being injured the last 4 games and the jets finding themselves behind as often as they are.

The first line has been overplayed for like 3+ years, I don't share your optimism for "the gap won't last" :) Would make sense to go for 1A/1B with the entrance of Dubois but I'm not holding my breath...

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Really weird direction this thread has taken.

I think Ehlers has been the teams best winger for a couple years and his point totals will explode next to PLD.

Add in Statsny(Perfetti in the future) and that line is hopefully/likely a possession powerhouse 5vs5.

My guess is Ehlers will be really happy here for a long while.

Agree on Ehlers but explotion of points need to equate with more minutes. Hard to score more than he is scoring if he will not get 3 more minutes a night at least. You can only score so much with the minutes you are given.
Analtics are all good but in the end you need to play more to score more.

Go Ehlers

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
2 years ago Maurice teased us with

Laine Schiefele Wheeler line at the beginning of the year. It eas a pre season game but Laine exploded for 6 points i believe against the Flames on that line. Regular season started, for some reason Wheeler and Schiefele was dragging the line. But Laine got dropped down the line.

This year
Mauriced teased us with
Ehlers Schiefele Wheeler line.
They started together, again the LW was doing fine and the others were dragging the line. After 2 games, Ehlers was dropped down the line. And this was not the first time. Each time the 55 and 26 combo are not going they being fed the minutes and rotated a different winger to get them going.

Hopefully PLD can put some pressure on Maurice to spread the minutes.

Calcutta

Oct 3, 2019
If Nik isn't happy the team needs to go all out to sort it. No way we let him get unsettled. The boy's a legend. His dad's a coach back home, his cousin plays in San Jose. Get his mum a cushy job in the front office I don't care, get a local girl to stitch him up with a baby, whatever it takes nail that lad down.

Hulide

Jul 12, 2017
If Nik isn't happy the team needs to go all out to sort it. No way we let him get unsettled. The boy's a legend. His dad's a coach back home, his cousin plays in San Jose. Get his mum a cushy job in the front office I don't care, get a local girl to stitch him up with a baby, whatever it takes nail that lad down.
Its not about teammates.. its not about the org. (Chevi loves Ehlers) Its not about the city!! EHLERS LOVES WINNIPEG!! EHLERS LOVES HIS TEAMMATES!!! Its about TOI and the Coach!!

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
The first line has been overplayed for like 3+ years, I don't share your optimism for "the gap won't last" :) Would make sense to go for 1A/1B with the entrance of Dubois but I'm not holding my breath...

The last 3 years do not apply anymore - unless you want to dwell on the past.
We now have a 1B center that should even things out more - we've never had this.
With the addition in mind, we'll see - I'm optimistic.

Reactions: Howard Chuck

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Same excuses as past.

Why don't you at least wait and see if what I'm calling out, has an impact - it's only a couple of wks and then we know.
My points are not "the same excuses as past" because we now finally have a 1B center that will impact minutes.

RCAFguy

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
Ehlers is our best forward. Everyone loves the points that Connor puts up, but the underlying numbers are heavily skewed in Ehlers favour. Paired up with PLD, I hope Ehlers TOI goes up and the CSW line's TOI goes down. The CSW line has never been and will never be, very good defensively. PLD, Ehlers against the other teams top line is what I want to see.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
After watching his game grow I believe he is one of the most underrated players in the NHL. We are blessed to have both he and Connor under Long term deals.

I have tremendous faith in our management of this team! Including Maurice by the way!
He had one of the league's best rosters for 3 or 4 years and underachieved. Not to undermine this thread, but if anyone has done good work with Ehlers it wasn't Maurice. He doesn't even know the systems.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
guy has been great the last 2 games. i flip flop between him and KC on our top winger this year. man, him and dubois together could be electric. he deserves more praise among our mainstream media.

He'll get it once PLD in centering the line - not that it really matters because neither Nic or KC get a lot of attention via the media (and who cares) - and I agree that the wingers will be flip flopping as they find the best configurations. You'll see each of these two sharing the spot light as they go on mini streaks - one week it'll be Ehlers and the next you'll see KC ramp up.
What I look forward to is the 1A/B centers in place so that we don't have to discuss usage, minutes, and who's better as much as we are right now - better times are coming.

Both of these guys are exceptional wingers for different reasons - I never want to lose either of them.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
He'll get it once PLD in centering the line - not that it really matters because neither Nic or KC get a lot of attention via the media (and who cares) - and I agree that the wingers will be flip flopping as they find the best configurations. You'll see each of these two sharing the spot light as they go on mini streaks - one week it'll be Ehlers and the next you'll see KC ramp up.
What I look forward to is the 1A/B centers in place so that we don't have to discuss usage, minutes, and who's better as much as we are right now - better times are coming.

Both of these guys are exceptional wingers for different reasons - I never want to lose either of them.

connor pdl ehlers is actually the configuration I’m most excited to see! But with pdl here I agree that the top 6 winger configuration won’t really matter as much anymore

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Ehlers will force his way out if this madness doesn't stop. For two years he's been best winger of the team, but this dinosaur plays him ~15 min per game.

If Ehlers had Wheeler's usage, Ehlers would be top 5 in scoring race easily. Chevy needs to fired, because he won't fire this mad hatter of the coach.

ElLoboBlanco

Jan 20, 2021
For what it's worth Ehlers played pretty much the same amount of minutes as the rest of the top 6 last night even strength.

I also don't mind him being on his own PP where he is the focul point.

Sometimes when you're as good as Nik is you're asked to carry your own line and own PP unit.

Seems a little like people upset about the Laine trade or who don't like PoMo are making mountains out of molehills here for no particular reason.

Besides, Ehlers is stuck here for the next while anyways and he really doesn't strike me as the kind of man who would quit on his team, shit on his teammates, or not show up to camp to demand a trade.

My favorite part of the Laine trade is never having to listen to Ehlers trade talk ever again.... Our cap problems are now solved for the foreseeable future.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
For what it's worth Ehlers played pretty much the same amount of minutes as the rest of the top 6 last night even strength.

I also don't mind him being on his own PP where he is the focul point.

Sometimes when you're as good as Nik is you're asked to carry your own line and own PP unit.

Seems a little like people upset about the Laine trade or who don't like PoMo are making mountains out of molehills here for no particular reason.

Besides, Ehlers is stuck here for the next while anyways and he really doesn't strike me as the kind of man who would quit on his team, shit on his teammates, or not show up to camp to demand a trade.

My favorite part of the Laine trade is never having to listen to Ehlers trade talk ever again.... Our cap problems are now solved for the foreseeable future.

This isn't a new topic but I think you are right in it's being brought up again as a result of the Laine trade. Ehlers has averaged about the same icetime since he was a rookie to now. Not sure about you but I think Ehlers is a vastly better player than when he joined the org. Better driver, better defensively, more consistent etc. I firmly believe that should have translated into more icetime and responsibility. 6v5 is the only critical game play situation Ehlers is used as part of the "first package". That means his responsibilities have diminished over the years while his play has not. Not that anyone will be surprised but his usage is definitely the hill I will die on :laugh:

ElLoboBlanco

Jan 20, 2021
This isn't a new topic but I think you are right in it's being brought up again as a result of the Laine trade. Ehlers has averaged about the same icetime since he was a rookie to now. Not sure about you but I think Ehlers is a vastly better player than when he joined the org. Better driver, better defensively, more consistent etc. I firmly believe that should have translated into more icetime and responsibility. 6v5 is the only critical game play situation Ehlers is used as part of the "first package". That means his responsibilities have diminished over the years while his play has not. Not that anyone will be surprised but his usage is definitely the hill I will die on :laugh:

That's understandable. He's definitely a first line player who deserves first line minutes in theory.

I think PoMo has used him to balance our second line for the last number of years but his linemates haven't given PoMo the confidence to use that line in high leverage defensive situations not that Chef and wheels have been defensive stalwarts lately.

I think the icetime issue is in part because PoMo has used Lowry to go out against one of the other teams top six lines in an effort to give the second line better matchups.

My hope is that a PLD/Stats/ Ehlers second line makes them not just matchup proof but also likely the most defensively responsible line leading to an increase in usage and a stabilizing of the whole forward core. Lowry can now go out and absolutely dominate other teams bottom six's. The stone hands line should be able to score more if they are spending 70% of their time cycling in the Ozone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad