Ehlers vs Nylander

Who will be the better more effective player going forward?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Playing with Laine/Stastny or Little is nothing to sneeze at. I would probably take that over Matthews and Hyman. At the very least, it's close to even. Does Ehlers play on the top PP?

With that being said, these two have been so even since being drafted...I prefer goals, but I think Willy has the higher ceiling. He needs to prove it this year though, since he won't have Hyman on his line. He will be playing on the 2nd unit, though.

Ehlers played pp2 all season.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Nylander outscored Ehlers, has a better career ppg, and has shown he can play C

but ehlers will win because hfboards

Nylander career PPG 0.73 / Career high 61 pts
Ehlers career PPG 0.69 / Career high 64 pts

Almost identical.

Not much to talk about with Nylander as a C so far in the NHL either.

I don't mind people taking Nylander, heck i might even myself, but neither of what you said is really a factor at this point in time at all.

Tbh it just comes down to preference in their style of play. Ehlers is more of a pinball type guy whereas Nylander likes to slow the game down. Pick what you want.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
So hard to pick one. They're both great players. Probably two of the most comparable players I can think of

Yeah, even at the time of the draft a lot of fans were saying "one of Ehlers/Nylander" with regards to who they wanted to draft, from a lot of different teams.

I couldn't choose myself, would've been happy with either.

Reactions: Oseductive

Joufreau

Jan 10, 2013
Ottawa
Yeah, even at the time of the draft a lot of fans were saying "one of Ehlers/Nylander" with regards to who they wanted to draft, from a lot of different teams.

I remember watching that draft actually hoping we would draft Ehlers.

There was a lot of talk at the time that the leafs would draft Nick Ritchie. Happy with how things turned out

ER89

Jul 25, 2018

Im biased towards willy because I personally think he will be as good as marner and that he has another level. But ofc that's all just hypothetical until proven. Like you said, both theseguys right now are very close. Can't go wrong with either tbh.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Nylander career PPG 0.73 / Career high 61 pts
Ehlers career PPG 0.69 / Career high 64 pts

Almost identical.

Not much to talk about with Nylander as a C so far in the NHL either.

I don't mind people taking Nylander, heck i might even myself, but neither of what you said is really a factor at this point in time at all.

Tbh it just comes down to preference in their style of play. Ehlers is more of a pinball type guy whereas Nylander likes to slow the game down. Pick what you want.
nylander has played roughly 20% of his time at center thats not a lot but its not insignificant. overall pretty equal guys.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Ehlers is one of the best zone entry players in the league. He's among the fastest with the puck on his stick and he's just getting started. I like willy but I think Ehlers will take the lead this year.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
both are proven offensive players and proven playoff duds, I like Ehlers grittyness more then Nylanders no existent grittyness.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
2yrs

Nylander (22): 162gms, ES 14:09 (B+), 2.14p60, 1.55p160, 52.1cf% (+1.8), 51.9xgf% (+1.6) / PP 2:11, 6.59p60, 5.57p160 / PK 0:01
Ehlers (22): 164gms, ES 14:27 (B+), 2.30p60, 1.83p160, 52.0cf% (+1.6), 51.1xgf% (-1.4) / PP 2:19, 3.52p60, 2.40p160 / PK 0:01

as close as it gets. Ehlers with the offensive advantage at ES, willy with the advantage on the PP.

Willy with the slight edge possession wise, so I give the edge to him.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
both are proven offensive players and proven playoff duds, I like Ehlers grittyness more then Nylanders no existent grittyness.
You cant be a playoff dud after 2 trips to playoffs(1 where nylander played very good) and for ehlers this was his first playoff run and he still had some decent playmaking. The sedins were not playoff duds early in their careers. Gotta give them more time. Nylander may not be gritty but he could develope that aspect to his game as he gets older. Never will be a physical grinder but he can become more engaged in board battles as time wears on.

This poll is comparing two very similar players. Ehlers is a elite skater and is probably faster than nylander but nylander hs better edges and foot work. Ehlers and nylander both are elite at zone entries. Nylander has a monster of a shot but he tries to go top shelf way to often, not so sure about ehlers shot but I feel as if it's pretty good from some highlight goals I have seen. Both have great vision and can create high quality chances for their teammates. Honestly as good have both have been, they have room to improve and take it to the next gear. These two should be able to separate themselves as top 3 in a 2014 redraft challenging draisaitl.

They both have been overshadowed by other young talent on their teams but are core players themselves. I see nylander getting 30 goals and 45 assists this year playing with Matthews and Marleau. Predict ehlers get 35 and 40 since I think he is a better at finishing then nylander.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
6 of one, half a dozen of the other. It's kind of crazy how similar their trajectories have been, being drafted right next to each other.

Both have a ways to go in learning what it takes in playoffs as they're still very young. But still, 70 point players this year I bet. Once they hit their mid-late 20's they'll probably be equal 80 point players lol

DonM

The Industrial Revolution and its consequences
May 18, 2015
May they reach the heights of other proclaimed playoff duds like Kuznetsov

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto
Misread Ehlers as Eichel was like uhhhhh

As for Ehlers v Nylander, I have no idea. They’ve pretty much matched each other through their careers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad