Ehlers vs Nylander

Who will be the better more effective player going forward?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
There have been 8 different threads here that come up when you search Ehlers Nylander..
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/search/2447015/?q=nylander+ehlers&o=date&c[title_only]=1&c[node]=72

None of then interestingly involve a head to head vote/thread.

2 dynamic young developing (currently) 60pt players..

2yrs

Nylander (22): 162gms, ES 14:09 (B+), 2.14p60, 1.55p160, 52.1cf% (+1.8), 51.9xgf% (+1.6) / PP 2:11, 6.59p60, 5.57p160 / PK 0:01
Ehlers (22): 164gms, ES 14:27 (B+), 2.30p60, 1.83p160, 52.0cf% (+1.6), 51.1xgf% (-1.4) / PP 2:19, 3.52p60, 2.40p160 / PK 0:01

Ehlers
236gms, 69g, 162pts, 0.69PPG

Nylander
185gms, 48g, 135pts, 0.73PPG

Last edited:

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
There have been 8 different threads here that come up when you search Ehlers Nylander..
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/search/2447015/?q=nylander+ehlers&o=date&c[title_only]=1&c[node]=72

None of then interestingly involve a head to head vote/thread.

2 dynamic young developing (currently) 60pt players..

Ehlers
236gms, 69g, 162pts, 0.69PPG

Nylander
185gms, 87g, 135pts, 0.73PPG

Small typo: Nylander has 48 goals, not 87

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Last year Nylander was stapled to Matthews where as Ehlers spent more time away from the Schifele/Wheeler line

They are even, but Ill go Ehlers.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Last year Nylander was stapled to Matthews where as Ehlers spent more time away from the Schifele/Wheeler line

They are even, but Ill go Ehlers.
This also means that while Nylander and Matthews are facing top QoC, Ehlers is facing secondary QoC which helps with his numbers and scoring

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I say Nylander because once he's signed he will be back on Matthews line with Marleau and they might get easier match ups if more teams rather focus on Tavares.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I'll give Nylander an edge only for having center capability.

But otherwise.. similar production, similar speed, similar game effect... slightly more versatility with Nylander.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
I say Nylander because once he's signed he will be back on Matthews line with Marleau and they might get easier match ups if more teams rather focus on Tavares.
Can the same arguement not be made for Ehlers? He's on their 2nd line as well.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Nylander has about as much chance to play ld as he has to play centre. Which is not much at all. I'm sure if all the centre's of the team are injured ehlers can play centre just as well as Nylander since that's the only way Nylander is going to play centre in this league. Talk about being desperate to make your guy seem more important. These 2 guys are about as equal as you can get only diffrence is ehlers isn't as full of himself and is signed to good long term contract.

Reactions: cg98

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Nylander outscored Ehlers, has a better career ppg, and has shown he can play C

but ehlers will win because hfboards

Ehlers entered the league a year before Nylander. He didn't have AHL as an option or he would have been sent down and likely have a higher ppg than he has now. Nylander had all of 1 point more than Ehlers while playing more than half a min more per game. Nylander won't be playing C for quite some time, if at all, in Toronto so I don't see how that could be a factor. Pretty much all advanced stats point towards Ehlers having had the best season last year... Couldn't care less about who wins the poll but the result won't be because hfboards... These players are super close and wouldn't blame anyone for picking one above the other. For me it is clearly Ehlers.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Similar pt production, i think Ehlers will be the better goal scorer but Nylander can play C in a pinch which is valuable as well. Honestly, very close, i'll go with Ehlers but no qualms on people voting Nylander. If this includes contracts, if Nylander gets a substantial higher %ofCH vs Ehlers, than i'd go with Ehlers quite easily

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Nylander has a better career PPG because he didn't play most of his rookie season. They're nearly identical over the last two years.

It doesn't matter that he can play C, he's a winger, so that has nothing to do with effectiveness or "who is better" going forward.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Or because Ehlers doesn’t play next to a top 5 center

Playing with Laine/Stastny or Little is nothing to sneeze at. I would probably take that over Matthews and Hyman. At the very least, it's close to even. Does Ehlers play on the top PP?

With that being said, these two have been so even since being drafted...I prefer goals, but I think Willy has the higher ceiling. He needs to prove it this year though, since he won't have Hyman on his line. He will be playing on the 2nd unit, though.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Playing with Laine/Stastny or Little is nothing to sneeze at. I would probably take that over Matthews and Hyman. At the very least, it's close to even.

With that being said, these two have been so even since being drafted...I prefer goals, but I think Willy has the higher ceiling.
Willy better offensively and Ehlers defensively imo. Reason I pick ehlers is Nylander’s offense is almost purely assists and he plays with the best goal scoring center in hockey.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
I'll give Nylander an edge only for having center capability.

But otherwise.. similar production, similar speed, similar game effect... slightly more versatility with Nylander.

Similar speed? Im.sure nylander isn't slow, but i wouldn't call it wash for speed
Ehlers is one of the fastest players in the league

"Has shown he can play c" Yeah in a junior league. I wouldn't give nylander any points for it until he actually plays a legit top 6 centre

Nylander and ehlers were drafted in the same year, But ehlers entered the nhl a year later
Wouldn't started comparing their careers points unless you're gonna to subtract ehlers first season

Ehlers last two seasons

Nylander last 2 seasons

If you want to include ehlers first year
38 points

Nylander had 13 points

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad