WJC: "Eh oh Canada go"?

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
It was very respectful of him to contact you in any case. The growth of that group has actually been really shocking... without any real concerted marketing effort outside of all of us inviting our friends and maybe posting the link around. I suppose it's a cause that markets itself. Pepsi should be taking notes...

I read your post on the facebook group as well, and noted that he mentioned having the full support of hockey canada... which I suppose isn't as hard to get as it used to be. I'm more curious about why TSN was pushing it so hard. Sponsorship deal? Advertising dollars? Not too familiar with the ins and outs of that industry.

Frankly I think the campaign was doomed for two reasons: First, it was doomed from the beginning simply because it had the optics of being a big American corporation trying to appropriate Canadian culture for their own gain. Second, the real nail in the coffin was that they chose a really embarrassing cheer. Sure, I know a Canadian woman came up with that, and maybe even the people who chose the winner were Canadian, but clearly they don't represent the majority of Canada. Someone should have done just a tiny bit more market research on the thing and found out that Canadians don't really like chanting "EH." Especially at the beginning of a sentence.

Did he have anything to say about the actual chant itself and how many people think that it kind of sucks?

TSN was also in on it, hence the constant plugging of the cheer on the broadcasts.
I don't know what Mr. Hooper personally thought of the cheer, or how much he had to do with selecting the candidates people could vote for.

BeBen*

Bump figured some of you would be interested by this

http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Canada+junior+hockey+chant+falls+flat/2412382/story.html

Fans posting messages on online hockey discussion forums, such as NHL team websites and HFBoards.com, condemned the chant, with all due respect to Buma.

"I trust the Pepsi chant will die the early and inglorious death it deserves," said one member on HFBoards.com.

Gonna go look around to see who said that

EDIT found it Jorge Garcia : http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=719300&highlight=I+trust+the+Pepsi+chant+will+die+the+early

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad