WJC: Egli hit on Nylander (Egli susp. 3 games, no confirmed diagnosis for Nylander)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Not necessarily, he was believed to be concussed at the time of the suspension was he not? Either way I'm not changing my opinion, just the same as Leaf fans refuse to change theirs because there was contact with the head. When I said they need to take into consideration that Nylander was responsible for his body positioning I meant in terms of suspending or not suspending Egli. It seems clear they didn't give much if any thought to this because of Nylander's superstar title and Egli's relatively no name title which is the bias I'm against in this entire situation. Had it been Nylander drilling Egli nobody would bat an eye over Egli being injured. I'm simply saying I'd want everyone to be evaluated the same regardless of how talented they are. Unfortunately, this isn't the case, especially in the NHL.

Virtually everything in your post is something you've invented. It's hard to take that seriously.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
whats everybody complaining about in here...the hockey world is eliminating all hits and contact to players head, and blind side hits that can result in serious injuries...and this is the juniors, with the world watching

this is good for hockey

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Being tall doesn't mean you still get to body check a small player in the head.

Yes, it means they need to take more care when leaking a check to ensure no headshot is made. That might be tougher for them to do - but oh well.

And being smaller doesn't mean you can go skating around the ice oblivious to where the other players are and expect them to jump out of your way so they don't hurt you.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
And being smaller doesn't mean you can go skating around the ice oblivious to where the other players are and expect them to jump out of your way so they don't hurt you.

This makes it seem as if Nylander just skated into the other guy at random - no, he was deliberately targeted for a check. Big difference.

Being in a vulnerable position is not an invite for a check to the head.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Why in the world would he allow Nylander to skate by him so he can catch him in the shoulder as opposed to head on in the chest? He risks missing the check if he does that.

Where did I say to let him skate by? Where did this head on in the chest hit transpire?

Egli came almost perpendicular, and did so by "cutting across the bow" catching mostly head, skating right past the puck, getting a penalty, and being suspended. He "risked missing the check" by targeting well forward of Nylander's centre of mass.

PTmbp13

Jan 21, 2007
Its wierd, how when you play hockey you don´t want to hurt other players, but you sometimes hit like Egli did when he could have let that one go. Overwelmed by WJC and playing againt Sweden in the opening, its a huge game.

The game is too fast for Egli. (at least in this situation and some others). He couldn´t think that fast, "should i skate away from this hit"?
This hit would hurt on all humans, but you cannot ask of Egli to be so quick in his mind, but it will come as he grows up & learning the trade. He might learnt from this as Nylander hopefully did too. For supertalented guys it is like in when you drive your car, you have to think of all others as dangerous idiots that may run into you. Drunk or not. Be aware, be alert. There are just persons driving and they can be pissed, drunk, stressed, pumped up (like Egli) and they probably arent stupid or anything, just heat of the moment will hurt you. Sure the hit was faul because of the angle from he came from. Anyone can understand that it will hurt/injured a person if its followed thru. 3 games suspension was okay. They just have to play more with the puck against the other teams from now on, if they are allowed. They were owned by Team Sweden and close vs Team Denmark with no spark left. (2games in row). Is Egli playing a game this WJC?

Last edited:

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Its wierd, how when you play hockey you don´t want to hurt other players, but you sometimes hit like Egli did when he could have let that one go. Overwelmed by WJC and playing againt Sweden in the opening, its a huge game.

The game is too fast for Egli. (at least in this situation and some others). He couldn´t think that fast, "should i skate away from this hit"?
This hit would hurt on all humans, but you cannot ask of Egli to be so quick in his mind, but it will come as he grows up & learning the trade. He might learnt from this as Nylander hopefully did too. For supertalented guys it is like in when you drive your car, you have to think of all others as dangerous idiots that may run into you. Drunk or not. Be aware, be alert. There are just persons driving and they can be pissed, drunk, stressed, pumped up (like Egli) and they probably arent stupid or anything, just heat of the moment will hurt you. Sure the hit was faul because of the angle from he came from. Anyone can understand that it will hurt/injured a person if its followed thru. 3 games suspension was okay. They just have to play more with the puck against the other teams from now on, if they are allowed. They were owned by Team Sweden and close vs Team Denmark with no spark left. (2games in row). Is Egli playing a game this WJC?

Don't worry. One day Egli Egilthorpe might and will be known as the "LAST GOON OF THE GAME". And it's a big honour. He might even get in the HOF. :thumb:

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
If Nylander gets right back up, does Egli get suspended? I'm in the minority, I'm sure, but I've seen the hit a dozen times now. I don't see what's vastly dirty about it. You can't always look a guy in the eyes when you hit him. Sometimes, you have to pay attention if you're the puck carrier.

JFG

Mar 14, 2012
Hope he will return. He's just so electrifying to watch. I mean even his skating and zone entry is fun to watch.

PTmbp13

Jan 21, 2007
Hope he will return. He's just so electrifying to watch. I mean even his skating and zone entry is fun to watch.

Nylander just float thru everybody. So smooth. If he had MacDavids shot he be even better.

I love Nylanders game but Forsberg & now MacDavid is even more fun. Around the net, so patience with puck skating around. Nylander does it too very nice. MacDavid is the most explosive of them but all three is/was top/most fun to watch. NHL will be more fun when Nylander start and MacDavid is back.

Please help me with another player look like them (if there are any)?

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
If Nylander gets right back up, does Egli get suspended? I'm in the minority, I'm sure, but I've seen the hit a dozen times now. I don't see what's vastly dirty about it. You can't always look a guy in the eyes when you hit him. Sometimes, you have to pay attention if you're the puck carrier.

So youre saying it was a dive? Or what do you mean by 'if he get right up'? Nylander got hit in the head, he COULDNT get right up, and now he's out for the next game.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
So youre saying it was a dive? Or what do you mean by 'if he get right up'? Nylander got hit in the head, he COULDNT get right up, and now he's out for the next game.

He means only that the refs made their decision as did the directorate on the basis of Nylander's alleged "upper body injury" which has never even been confirmed explicitly as a concussion. The hit was not the thing eo ipso which stopped the game.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
The hit itself wasn't that dirty but I do understand the suspension based on injury. Hopefully Nylander will return to the tournament.

PTmbp13

Jan 21, 2007
Style offensively, Duchene when he broke into the league. Both great at maneuvering through traffic at high speeds while puck handling.

Yeah, I like him. Haven´t watched Avalanches so close though. But i really look frwd to see Connor back in, and Nylander to hit the league.

sorry for out of topic a bit here.

Last edited:

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Nylander just float thru everybody. So smooth. If he had MacDavids shot he be even better.

I love Nylanders game but Forsberg & now MacDavid is even more fun. Around the net, so patience with puck skating around. Nylander does it too very nice. MacDavid is the most explosive of them but all three is/was top/most fun to watch. NHL will be more fun when Nylander start and MacDavid is back.

Please help me with another player look like them (if there are any)?

McDavid is a generational talent...Nylander/McDavid is not a fair comparison for Willy, so of course McDavid is going to be the more exciting and fun player to watch.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
the hit wasn't that dirty and Nylander should've had his head up but at the same time it was a careless play and crap like that needs to come out of the game. Egli knew what he was doing, he say Nylander and did what he did. It might not have been a head hit but it was pretty damn close and he tried to do damage. I'm not saying hitting should come out of the game but players need to respect each other way more and if someone has their head down it shouldn't be treated as an invitation to smash someone as hard as you can. Everyone needs to be responsible.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
McDavid is a generational talent...Nylander/McDavid is not a fair comparison for Willy, so of course McDavid is going to be the more exciting and fun player to watch.

Probably; but not necessarily. When was Crosby a "more fun or exciting player to watch" than, say, Patrick Kane or the likes? :D

And when actually did McDavid's shot get upgraded to the first class and much better than Willy Nylander's?

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario

I'm not saying it was a dive. I'm saying the hit itself wasn't bad. Just because he was hurt doesn't mean the hit is bad. If he got up and skated away, there would be no talk of a dirty hit.

He means only that the refs made their decision as did the directorate on the basis of Nylander's alleged "upper body injury" which has never even been confirmed explicitly as a concussion. The hit was not the thing eo ipso which stopped the game.

Basically this. You can have a very clean hit and a guy still gets hurt.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

Alleged by who?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad