WJC: Egli hit on Nylander (Egli susp. 3 games, no confirmed diagnosis for Nylander)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Mod Update: Suspended for 3 games.
http://www.worldjunior2016.com/en/news/egli_suspension/

Mod Note: No confirmed diagnosis as of 12/27/15 for Nylander, so do not state one as fact until we have official word from a reputable source.

To stop it from taking over the GDT...

In the first period of the Sweden/Swiss game, Egli hit Nylander up high

Nylander hasn't returned. Suspension for Egli seems likely.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
A useless plug nobody has ever heard of that will never be a real hockey player takes a cheap shot at by far the best player on the tournament. Such BS

Funny how dominating Nylander was before he got run with a disgusting hit

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
From the two angles I saw it looked like he got all shoulder. That second video you posted though basically shows all head shot though.

Would suck to see him get a concussion from this.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I think the slow mode replay in the 1st vine pretty clearly shows that it was a shoulder to shoulder full body hit with some inevitable contact with the head.

All "predatory" talk makes little sense for me. The hit didn't break any rules, and yeah, I'm not happy that Egli went for a hit with no intention to play the puck, but it doesn't make the check illegal.

I hope Nylander won't get a serious concussion from this hit.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Hard to tell if he got the head or not depending on the angle.

He'll be suspended regardless though. A) He hit a top player and hurt him..and B) When it is a dangerous hit that is borderline, they usually side with the victim with the IIHF.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
Clear hit to the head and obvious suspension

Anyone saying otherwise was blinded by Nylander's beautiful hair

hKHhYih.jpg

Last edited:

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
That's the risk you take sending a high profile prospect to the World Juniors.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Clear hit to the head and obvious suspension

Anyone saying otherwise was blinded by Nylander's beautiful hair

What a ****ing joke. The blinded aren't the ones calling it a clean hit.

That was Shoulder to Shoulder. I get the penalty being called because it looked borderline at full speed and Nylander is a top player. But slowed down it clearly wasn't dirty.

It would be ridiculous if Egli is suspended.

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
I think the slow mode replay in the 1st vine pretty clearly shows that it was a shoulder to shoulder full body hit with some inevitable contact with the head.

All "predatory" talk makes little sense for me. The hit didn't break any rules, and yeah, I'm not happy that Egli went for a hit with no intention to play the puck, but it doesn't make the check illegal.

I hope Nylander won't get a serious concussion from this hit.

This is pretty much how I feel about it too. Also looks worse(and probably hurts worse too) because he's leaning as he turns when the hit lands from the side; all the contact goes to the upper body and there's no way to push back against the hitter and try to maintain balance(not seeing him obviously also doesn't help). It seems to be within the rules to me, though unnecessary and suboptimal. Might've been able to make something happen if he had gone for the puck.

That said, the two angles make it look very unclear. Hard to make a definitive call on it. I'll leave it up to the experts to decide where the contact is made; I'm sure they have better footage to work with.

Ben Matlock

Resteriged Uesr
Aug 21, 2007
The hit looks very different from different angles. I first thought it was shoulder to shoulder with zero head contact, but the other angle shows he hits him a little early and gets the head from the front.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
First of all, it was an east-west hit more than a north-south hit. Hence, blindside hit.

Second of all, if Nylander got hit in the shoulder, how did he get a concussion?

Suspension worthy, the best player of the tournament is gone after one period of play. What an anti climax.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
First of all, it was an east-west hit more than a north-south hit. Hence, blindside hit.

Second of all, if Nylander got hit in the shoulder, how did he get a concussion?

Suspension worthy, the best player of the tournament is gone after one period of play. What an anti climax.

Hahahaha are you kidding me?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I'm legitimately curious if half the people posting in this thread just looked at the first tweet's vine and not the 2nd tweet's video, it looks vastly different, you can't see the contact to the head in the vine.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto

You don't need direct contact to the head to cause a concussion (although that's typically what causes it). You just need some sort of force that's sufficient for the brain to move around in the head.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Well, rip to nylanders career. Thats a big time concussion. He's down and out for a few minutes on the ice and by the time he's up and skating to the bench he's still disoriented... Beauty hit though right? What a beautiful hit. ****ing joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad