Eemeli Rasanen

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Franson's a good NHL defenseman. We'd be lucky to get that out of a second rounder.
Well by using the draft position as a base for the comparison, Rasanen should be better than Franson as Franson was drafted in the 3rd round.
Aside from that I never sid Frnson wasn't a servicale defensman. I said projecting Rasanen to have a ceiling of Franson was pessimistic because Rasanen has all the physical attributes Franson has, plus he is a better skater, and imo, the only thing that kept Cody from being a ligit top 4 guy was his skating.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Well by using the draft position as a base for the comparison, Rasanen should be better than Franson as Franson was drafted in the 3rd round.
Aside from that I never sid Frnson wasn't a servicale defensman. I said projecting Rasanen to have a ceiling of Franson was pessimistic because Rasanen has all the physical attributes Franson has, plus he is a better skater, and imo, the only thing that kept Cody from being a ligit top 4 guy was his skating.
Out of all the D we have drafted, if we can just turn Dermott/Lily and Rasanen into legit top 4 D, I'm extremely happy.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Out of all the D we have drafted, if we can just turn Dermott/Lily and Rasanen into legit top 4 D, I'm extremely happy.
If we hit on all three that would be a cornucopia of wealth.
Imo Dermott is ready. He looked better than both Borgman and Rosen to me in camp.
Lil Tim seems to be doing well but I haven't watched a Marlies game this season :( But I have all the hope in the world for him. Maybe some point next year?
And Rasanen is looking promising. Let's revisit him in a couple years. Once he gains some hockey strength he will be formidable!

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
so far so good on him, but if it were easy to look at a project like a 6'7" defender at 19 years old and say "yep, he's gonna pan out as a top pairing guy" then I think the NHL draft would be 2 rounds long because most of the busts would be weeded out. I don't think the most accurate scout in the world could give you a read on this kid yet that you'd want to bet your house on

Reactions: Gary Nylund

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016

Rielly ----- Rasanen
Dermott - Liljegren
Borgman - Zaitsev

I'd be extremely happy as well.. gonna need a lot of luck

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
If we hit on all three that would be a cornucopia of wealth.
Imo Dermott is ready. He looked better than both Borgman and Rosen to me in camp.
Lil Tim seems to be doing well but I haven't watched a Marlies game this season :( But I have all the hope in the world for him. Maybe some point next year?
And Rasanen is looking promising. Let's revisit him in a couple years. Once he gains some hockey strength he will be formidable!

Having Borgman in the lineup over Dermott was still the right call.

Dermott is still only 20 years old, only playing his 2nd pro season and his development is better served playing a lot of minutes in all situations on the Marlies then playing less than 15 minutes with the Leafs.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

Dermott is still only 20 years old, only playing his 2nd pro season and his development is better served playing a lot of minutes in all situations on the Marlies then playing less than 15 minutes with the Leafs.
Two things for me
1 would he be playing only 15 minutes? He's pretty good
2 is 20 minutes in the ahl better than 15 minutes in the NHL? Add to that practicing with the big boys daily
:dunno:

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

Borgman is only 22 and had never played on NA why is he the right call? really if you are worried about development Rosen would be the right call he is 24(?)

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Didn't Franson start laying some big hits around 2012-2013?

Franson did become more physical but he had to develop that edge and even then he was still quite soft + he couldn't maintain it cause that just isn't in his DNA.

Rasanen has a natural physical mean streak that he needs to learn to tone down.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Two things for me
1 would he be playing only 15 minutes? He's pretty good
2 is 20 minutes in the ahl better than 15 minutes in the NHL? Add to that practicing with the big boys daily
:dunno:

1. He wouldn't be beating out Gardiner or Rielly for minutes. Our # 5 and beyond Dman have all played less than 15 minutes.
2. Dermott is better served playing a lot of minutes in all situations and learning how to be a leader instead of being pigeon holed into a depth role. It's also good to keep his confidence high.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Borgman is only 22 and had never played on NA why is he the right call? really if you are worried about development Rosen would be the right call he is 24(?)

1. Borgman is a different type of Dman than Rosen. Borgman is the type of Dman we needed a lot more on our bottom pair
2. Borgman & Rosen competed for that spot and Borgman won the spot.
3. Borgman being 18 months older than Dermott is a big difference. Dermott is still a more valuable piece with higher upside who will get his opportunity soon enough.

Reactions: johnny_rudeboy

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
1. He wouldn't be beating out Gardiner or Rielly for minutes. Our # 5 and beyond Dman have all played less than 15 minutes.
2. Dermott is better served playing a lot of minutes in all situations and learning how to be a leader instead of being pigeon holed into a depth role. It's also good to keep his confidence high.
I don't look at it as beating anybody out for minutes: it's a team so the load is shared. Take 1 minute from each top 4 and give it to Dermott and he's now playing 19 minutes a night and our top 4 are a little better off for it. I'm sure if Babcock had 6 defensemen of equal quality they would all have identical minutes because it would be the best for the team so if Dermott was up and deserved more minutes it would be better for the team to give him some

I don't agree about the pigeon holding him if he was up. The only thing he would not get is pp time but they would be grooming him to be in the top 4 the whole time. Like Dermott himself said when he turned pro; he's not worried about his offense, so he's focusing on the other side of the game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad