Blue Jays Discussion: Edwin, Donaldson, Saunders, Sanchez, Estrada to the ASG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I never tried to insinuate you said that.

Why would EE not try to get something long term if there's a chance?

Of course, this is why he was stuck on asking 4 year term and won't negotiate during the season.

I see him getting a $100 million for 4 years type of deal.

That's pretty damn expensive for a DH. VMart got 4/68 after having a spectacular 2014 season.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
Of course, this is why he was stuck on asking 4 year term and won't negotiate during the season.

That's pretty damn expensive for a DH. VMart got 4/68 after having a spectacular 2014 season.

For sure. I understand why he'd want to try.

Also his point of just lock him up now, well, it's hard to sign a contract when only one party shows up to the negotiations...those tend not to go too well.

If they can get him to a 3 year deal, there should be a collective high five in this thread.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I'm guessing both sides could agree to a deal involving 3 years plus club/mutual options attached.

But if someone throws 4+ and/or higher AAV you can't really be mad.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

V-Mart was also above average couple seasons prior to 2014. Encarnacion has been consistent (consistently very good). I agree with Woodman and can definitely see him getting 4/100 deal.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
V-Mart was also above average couple seasons prior to 2014. Encarnacion has been consistent (consistently very good). I agree with Woodman and can definitely see him getting 4/100 deal.

He comes 4 years younger too with at least the ability to spot time at 1B.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

so major league baseball is right to begin an investigation into whether or not ortiz’s comments constitute tampering, not because of any actual impact on the blue jays slugger’s future employment but because these two franchises have a history. the blue jays never filed tampering allegations against boston when john farrell asked to be relieved of his managing duties to go to his “dream job†with the red sox, but there wasn’t a person in toronto’s front office who didn’t think there were backchannel advances made to either farrell or one of the coaches who bailed along with him. The red sox reach is long and deep, and includes their media partners such as the boston globe and nesn. In the end, the blue jays put together a trade that saw mike aviles join them from the red sox for farrell, then flipped aviles to the cleveland indians – along with yan gomes and, no, don’t get us started about that – for esmil rogers.

the nba has been particularly judicious when it comes to tampering – drake, the raptors’ official “ambassador†was hit with a $25,000 fine in 2014 for pointing out kevin durant at a concert in toronto and urging fans to show him some love – but tampering is something of a hazy area in baseball. For example, the chicago cubs were investigated and cleared of tampering charges when manager joe maddon jumped from the tampa bay rays, and new york yankees president randy levine was investigated after making an off-hand comment about the los angeles angels of anaheim’s mike trout.

The commissioner’s office has a wide range of powers to adjudicate in these matters, and in the case of levine an apology was deemed good enough. the blue jays, i’m told, did not complain formally to the commissioner’s office about ortiz’s comments. President and chief executive officer mark shapiro was said to only know what he read about the situation. But then, formal “charges†do not need to be filed for the commissioner to investigate, especially when the statements are made at an event like the all-star game.

“it’s a perception thing, more than anything else, in a case like this,†said a baseball source familiar with the commissioner’s office and its thinking on tampering. “it’s a way of telling everybody to shut the hell up, and it’s especially important to make sure fans feel everything is above board.â€

look, the fact that he is big papi and is on his retirement tour as one of the most popular players of his generation (both with peers and the media) will, of course, buy ortiz some cover. To interview ortiz one-on-one is to be smitten by the face, the smile and the level of personal engagement. This is a player, after all, who addresses groups of reporters with “what’s up, *****es?†and gets laughs. It’s true that at a time when we’ve lowered our expectations for interaction with players – “see that! He didn’t tell us to go screw ourselves! Good dude!†– ortiz seems almost on a different level. He just gets it, always has – whether it was disarming much of the damage that would be wrought by ramirez with media or fans or making an emotional pitch to his city after the boston marathon bombing. He is a singular personality at a time when the singular gets beaten out of most athletes on the way up. And as i said: Encarnacion will go where he’s going to go regardless of what ortiz said.

but we are closing in on a seismic free-agent event: The class of 2018, which could include almost every player of significance including bank-busters such as bryce harper. It’s the type of feeding frenzy that is going to draw in the big markets and big, big money, and the commissioner’s office wants teams to exercise discipline on the public stage. Might be time to send out a message, especially to that lot in massachusetts and their overblown sense of entitlement.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
He comes 4 years younger too with at least the ability to spot time at 1B.

VMart was 36 for his 2015 season, EE will be 34. Bautista will be 36 as well entering next season but that won't stop him from exceeding EE's AAV.

He's also one of the very best contact hitters in the league and put up a pretty historical feat that year by hitting 30+ home runs while striking out less than 50 times.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

consistently elite, you mean.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Better be prepared to see EE in a redsox uniform when he signs a 6+ year deal.

Quite frankly, then all power to the Idiot Sox. They can enjoy praying that EE is exactly like Big Papi, or enjoy paying big slugger money for a declining asset. I know they don't really care either way, but I don't care if they want to keep claiming stupid contracts.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Need an opinion on who's jersey to get next.

I like players that you usually don't see around (JD, Bautista etc).

Thinking of Pillar, Sanchez, Travis or Estrada, but want to get a player that will stick around for awhile yet.

Thoughts?

Sorry to break up the EE talks. :laugh:

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC

Thinking of Pillar, Sanchez, Travis or Estrada, but want to get a player that will stick around for awhile yet.

Thoughts?

Sanchez.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Thoughts?

Osuna.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad