Recalled/Assigned: Edvinsson, Berggren & others sent to GR

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Edvinsson is saying all the right things about taking advantage of his time in Grand Rapids:

I would certainly hope so. Even if you were to disagree it gets you nowhere to bitch to the media. He's a smart player, on and off the ice. He'll take what he can out of the experience.

Leave the bitching to the fans online that are bored at work...

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I would certainly hope so. Even if you were to disagree it gets you nowhere to bitch to the media. He's a smart player, on and off the ice. He'll take what he can out of the experience.

True. But he's not obligated to say anything at all. He appears to be very willing to put a positive spin on everything and is not hesitant to discuss it.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
True. But he's not obligated to say anything at all. He appears to be very willing to put a positive spin on everything and is not hesitant to discuss it.
Like I said, beyond his ridiculous physical gifts for hockey he is also very smart and takes to coaching/teaching very well.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009

I'm still bitching on behalf of Berggren...

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I don't think that's how that works lol.
There no reason it couldn't though. He got caught in a BS numbers game and sent down. Fine. But the AHL is a garbage league allowing garbage players and he gets blown up. Least the Wings could do is an off-day paper move shuffle to get bring him up and put him on IR with $900K paychecks rather than $70K ones. We have the cap money to spare.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
There no reason it couldn't though. He got caught in a BS numbers game and sent down. Fine. But the AHL is a garbage league allowing garbage players and he gets blown up. Least the Wings could do is an off-day paper move shuffle to get bring him up and put him on IR with $900K paychecks rather than $70K ones. We have the cap money to spare.
Well, first, I think there might be rules in place regarding injured players being shuffled from the AHL to NHL, or vice versa? For cap circumvention reasons? I might be wrong on that, but I think it's the same reason AHL-types who get hurt in the preseason with the big club are usually on the NHL roster until they're healthy and can be sent down.

But if I am wrong on that, are there any examples of NHL clubs that have employed an "out of the kindness of their heart" angle to the way they manage the cap? I mean, sucks for Berggren, but I think this is a "thems the breaks, kid" kinda situation.

Reactions: SoupNazi

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Well, first, I think there might be rules in place regarding injured players being shuffled from the AHL to NHL, or vice versa? For cap circumvention reasons? I might be wrong on that, but I think it's the same reason AHL-types who get hurt in the preseason with the big club are usually on the NHL roster until they're healthy and can be sent down.

But if I am wrong on that, are there any examples of NHL clubs that have employed an "out of the kindness of their heart" angle to the way they manage the cap? I mean, sucks for Berggren, but I think this is a "thems the breaks, kid" kinda situation.
There would definitely be rules for sending a guy down. Not sure about the inverse.

Teams have called up kids on light stretches to essentially double their AHL pay for the year. Doesn't take much when the AHL salary is less than 10% of the NHL one.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
There would definitely be rules for sending a guy down. Not sure about the inverse.

Teams have called up kids on light stretches to essentially double their AHL pay for the year. Doesn't take much when the AHL salary is less than 10% of the NHL one.
Huh. Not sure I've heard of teams doing that. I mean, paper transactions for cap purposes, sure. But explicitly to pay a kid extra money?

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Huh. Not sure I've heard of teams doing that. I mean, paper transactions for cap purposes, sure. But explicitly to pay a kid extra money?
I can't remember who it was, this had to be 6-8 year ago. But I remember a stretch where I think it might even have been the Wings where the team swapped the kid that was up in the pressbox even though neither was playing. The announcers were talking about it as a way to toss a kid a bone. And the timing on travel days or whatever sometimes a kid can pick up an NHL paycheck without even leaving their AHL team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad