Post-Game Talk: EDSF Game 2 - B's tie up the series - BRUINS 4 Washington 3 F/OT

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Great win B's fans (my dad is a big Bruins fan) he tells me we will really like Riley Nash in the playoffs, he seemed to do a great job against us last year with the Jackets.

As a fanbase that is more familiar with him should we be excited for him? I know he is strong defensively, but does he give much more?

There was one series, I think it was the 2018 Toronto series where Bergeron was a last minute scratch from the lineup with a concussion or something, and Riley Nash ended up centering Marchand and Pastrnak. He was passable but not great. IIRC Krejci carried us to win that game in the end.

Durnberg

Feb 2, 2007
They never stopped skating.Hall used his strength along the wall .Alot of guys do not get past that check.You sure your not a Caps fan invading this board?:sarcasm:

Well, seeing as I didn’t see the embellishment from Wilson the first time I saw that play. Perhaps I should watch the last 10 minutes of the game a second time ;)

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Did Tuukka Rask give up a soft goal in Game 2? A closer look says no - The Boston Globe

Since parsing playoff goals against Tuukka Rask is a favorite parlor game of some, let’s discuss the one from Game 2 against the Capitals Monday that looked the worst.
First period, 3:18 remaining. A Dmitry Orlov shot hit Garnet Hathaway at the top of the circle, slid through two Bruins and a Capital, and slipped underneath Rask’s pads. It tied the score at 2, in a game the Bruins eventually won in overtime.
Should Rask have found the puck? That would have been nice. It also would have been nearly impossible, since Matt Grzelcyk and Lars Eller were tangling a foot in front of him. A shielded Rask remained on his feet until he saw Eller react to the incoming puck, then dropped to his knees and flared out his pads with hope he would stop it.

NESN analyst and former Bruins goalie Andrew Raycroft saw it as Rask playing the odds. Staying on his feet allowed him to react quicker to a sharp deflection. On his knees, he is less mobile.

“If you’re going to make 99 saves playing it one way, and give up one, you can’t go back and forth trying to make that one save out of 100,” Raycroft said.

It speaks to a larger issue surrounding Rask, in his 12th year of providing high-level goaltending for the Bruins. Based on social media comments and talk radio bloviating, the expectation is that he should make 100 saves out of 100.
“As soon as you leave Boston, no one knows you play in the league anymore,” said Raycroft, who started his five-team, 11-year career with the Bruins and, coincidentally, was the other half of the 2005 trade with Toronto that brought Rask here. “That’s the passion of the fans. They love this team.

“But look at other teams play. There’s lots of goals that go in that you never see in Boston.”
For example: Monday’s Penguins-Islanders game, in which Pittsburgh’s Tristian Jarry allowed “four really bad goals,” Raycroft said, “or, they would be for Tuukka Rask. It happens around the league. It doesn’t happen here. Because of the success Tuukka’s had, there’s the idea that this is what it always looks like. If you had bad goaltending in this league, things go south quickly. That gets lost on people.”

In Raycroft’s view, the Rask discourse stems from the run of Tim Thomas, full of fire and fury that captured the hearts of Bruins fans a decade-plus ago. Fair enough. But fans shouldn’t be calling for Jeremy Swayman every time the red light comes on. Rask stopped 36 of 39 shots in Game 2, after saving 32 of 35 in Game 1.
“The leash — like, enough,” Raycroft said on his podcast, Morning Bru. “He is playing the rest of the series now. That’s it. This is what he is. He is really good. And he makes a lot of saves.

“He makes really good plays with the puck right now. His hockey sense is off the charts. And he does win a lot of these big games. He wins overtime games. He finds ways to keep his team in it. What he does on a consistent basis is so much better than a lot of other goalies.”

“We don’t panic throughout games,” Brad Marchand said. “There’s a sense of calm when things aren’t going our way. That’s why we have Tuuks back there, to kind of bail us out in situations like that and give us a minute to find our game.”

————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Now I’m gonna go waaaaaay out on a limb here and suggest that Raycroft maybe - just maybe- knows a wee bit more about goaltending then we do.

Unless my old coach Joe Bertagna snuck in here.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Did Tuukka Rask give up a soft goal in Game 2? A closer look says no - The Boston Globe

Since parsing playoff goals against Tuukka Rask is a favorite parlor game of some, let’s discuss the one from Game 2 against the Capitals Monday that looked the worst.
First period, 3:18 remaining. A Dmitry Orlov shot hit Garnet Hathaway at the top of the circle, slid through two Bruins and a Capital, and slipped underneath Rask’s pads. It tied the score at 2, in a game the Bruins eventually won in overtime.
Should Rask have found the puck? That would have been nice. It also would have been nearly impossible, since Matt Grzelcyk and Lars Eller were tangling a foot in front of him. A shielded Rask remained on his feet until he saw Eller react to the incoming puck, then dropped to his knees and flared out his pads with hope he would stop it.

NESN analyst and former Bruins goalie Andrew Raycroft saw it as Rask playing the odds. Staying on his feet allowed him to react quicker to a sharp deflection. On his knees, he is less mobile.

“If you’re going to make 99 saves playing it one way, and give up one, you can’t go back and forth trying to make that one save out of 100,” Raycroft said.

It speaks to a larger issue surrounding Rask, in his 12th year of providing high-level goaltending for the Bruins. Based on social media comments and talk radio bloviating, the expectation is that he should make 100 saves out of 100.
“As soon as you leave Boston, no one knows you play in the league anymore,” said Raycroft, who started his five-team, 11-year career with the Bruins and, coincidentally, was the other half of the 2005 trade with Toronto that brought Rask here. “That’s the passion of the fans. They love this team.

“But look at other teams play. There’s lots of goals that go in that you never see in Boston.”
For example: Monday’s Penguins-Islanders game, in which Pittsburgh’s Tristian Jarry allowed “four really bad goals,” Raycroft said, “or, they would be for Tuukka Rask. It happens around the league. It doesn’t happen here. Because of the success Tuukka’s had, there’s the idea that this is what it always looks like. If you had bad goaltending in this league, things go south quickly. That gets lost on people.”

In Raycroft’s view, the Rask discourse stems from the run of Tim Thomas, full of fire and fury that captured the hearts of Bruins fans a decade-plus ago. Fair enough. But fans shouldn’t be calling for Jeremy Swayman every time the red light comes on. Rask stopped 36 of 39 shots in Game 2, after saving 32 of 35 in Game 1.
“The leash — like, enough,” Raycroft said on his podcast, Morning Bru. “He is playing the rest of the series now. That’s it. This is what he is. He is really good. And he makes a lot of saves.

“He makes really good plays with the puck right now. His hockey sense is off the charts. And he does win a lot of these big games. He wins overtime games. He finds ways to keep his team in it. What he does on a consistent basis is so much better than a lot of other goalies.”

“We don’t panic throughout games,” Brad Marchand said. “There’s a sense of calm when things aren’t going our way. That’s why we have Tuuks back there, to kind of bail us out in situations like that and give us a minute to find our game.”

Now I’m gonna go waaaaaay out on a limb here and suggest that Raycroft maybe - just maybe- knows a wee bit more about goaltending then we do.

If he was down in the butterfly and the puck was deflected up over his shoulder, instead of down through the five hole, everyone would have complained about how he went down too quickly.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
If he was down in the butterfly and the puck was deflected up over his shoulder, instead of down through the five hole, everyone would have complained about how he went down too quickly.

yah.....my dad used to say people like that cant find their own ass with both hands....

I never understood that until the interwebs were invented.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

Didn’t need Razor’s take, just needed eyes and common sense. Glad to see him confirm it though

Reactions: HumBucker

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Great win B's fans (my dad is a big Bruins fan) he tells me we will really like Riley Nash in the playoffs, he seemed to do a great job against us last year with the Jackets.

As a fanbase that is more familiar with him should we be excited for him? I know he is strong defensively, but does he give much more?

chances are he won’t do anything to win or lose you a game. That has value in the league

Reactions: TopChedder

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
He wasn't good for the B's in the playoffs. Took stupid penalties, one included punching Bobby Ryan in the face. I believe he has been better since he left Boston as he didn't have much playoff experience before he came to the B's.

Yeah I was more referring to his most recent post season performances with Columbus. He was pretty bad vs. Ottawa in 2017 and coming off a concussion the next playoff year and played timid.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Someone in the Rask thread summed it up pretty easily - it looked like an easy shot to save from the comfort of my couch.

But we all know by now Rask isn't remembered for the saves he makes, only the ones he lets in

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige

Right on.
We have been blessed in net for so long that we can not see what we have. Same at center position. Same on defence, now with 73.

This is like health (santé in french) .you know what you had and how precious it was until when you lost it!

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
So Miller was physically fine when he returned, that is concerning. I thought he looked really off and was back to his old ways of handling the puck like a grenade. This year he has looked excellent with the puck, a different player.

I would have felt better about it if Cassidy said he needs a game off to rest his knee but he said it had nothing to do with it. Were the stitches in his hand? Maybe that would explain the rough time with the puck. They have to be careful with bacterial infection if so.

I was thinking they should give Tinordi a game, he plays the exact same way. Clifton, Miller and Tinordi should be in and sit Reilly. Thye need to clear up the crease and make the Caps pay for it in our end.

Reactions: Gordoff

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
As long as you don't expect much from him offensively you should be happy with his game. Good guy to have out there taking important defensive zone faceoffs and killing penalties......and that's about it. :nod:

Awesome! As long as he is defensively responsible and a good FO guy I can live with that for sure!

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
Good in his own end, at the dot, on the PK but he's not primarily out there to score. Essentially a good defensive 4th line center that probably won't score a lot but helps keep the puck out of his own net.

That's what I kinda remember from him when playing you guys and the Jackets, so that's good.

Thanks so much!

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
There was one series, I think it was the 2018 Toronto series where Bergeron was a last minute scratch from the lineup with a concussion or something, and Riley Nash ended up centering Marchand and Pastrnak. He was passable but not great. IIRC Krejci carried us to win that game in the end.

Yeah I vaguely remember that, the game where Marchand iced it I believe. Passable and can play D were my only wants from him, so that's good.

Cheers!

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
chances are he won’t do anything to win or lose you a game. That has value in the league

Perfect. Nothing happening is better than leaking scoring chances, I will take it.

Really appreciate all you guys taking time to give me some info from personal experience. Also a good board to swing by and talk hockey.

Reactions: Gordoff and CDJ

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
No Clifton?

We may see 7 defensemen in one of these games, especially if they keep Miller in the mix.

I would have no problem with that as long as they have a 4th line available. I feel as though Clifton could take a strong shift or two at 4RW if needed.
Me too. When I suggested it at the beginning of the season I got ripped for it but his kind of toughness and tenacity is priceless no matter where in the lineup it's placed.

Reactions: trenton1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad