Edmonton's playoff chances

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Their playoffs hopes were legitimately over when A) they rolled into the season with Eakins still in place as head coach and B) they refused to upgrade their D to anything resembling respectability that would even have a faint hope of getting the team close to even mediocre in that department.

So in short the season was over and any chance at the playoffs were over by early July.
But they did upgrade their D. They spent a lot of money on Nikitin and Fayne. This team is damn close to being up against the cap. The problem here is the same as it's been for over a decade. Lowe and Mactavish have no clue how to judge talent and properly value their players.

I agree with you that our playoff hopes were over in July. I even went so far back then to say that this team reminded me of the team in 2009-10 that was spent to the cap with a bunch of lousy players signed to long term contracts. I said this team was in worse shape for the future now than we have been since that year. It's amazing to me how much damage Mactavish has done here in just a year and a half.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Cliche "you can not make the playoffs in the first month of the season"
Fact-"you sure as hell can lose the season in the first month of the season"

Oilers have screwed the pooch for this season

Another bottom three finish I may put myself up on ebay to auction my services off to another team, league or sport

Keggatron

Nov 15, 2008
The frustration level being a fan of this team is unbearable. Every time I see the Oil put in zero effort and just get shelled it makes me want to yell obscenities at Katz about cleaning this whole ****ing mess up. It's so frustrating that these guys have jobs for life. We'll be out of the playoffs for 9 years straight this spring. Any other team in the league this management team would have been turned over three times by now.

i-wish-i-knew-how-to-quit-you.jpg

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
umm, so what happens if we lose to boston and buffalo and drop 2 more? Is this season officially over?

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
umm, so what happens if we lose to boston and buffalo and drop 2 more? Is this season officially over?

Ironically it might save the season if those losses finally sink Eakins. I think for the good of the team it's best to go on a losing streak here to force management to fire Eakins so that progress can actually be made.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
The frustration level being a fan of this team is unbearable. Every time I see the Oil put in zero effort and just get shelled it makes me want to yell obscenities at Katz about cleaning this whole ****ing mess up. It's so frustrating that these guys have jobs for life. We'll be out of the playoffs for 9 years straight this spring. Any other team in the league this management team would have been turned over three times by now.

i-wish-i-knew-how-to-quit-you.jpg

Too funny! Is that Kevin and Katz?

CorpseFX

Feb 9, 2007
Milwaukee
I know most of us don't think Edmonton has a chance to make the playoffs this year, they just want to see improvement but here is a depressing fact for those who still have hope that they can make it.

This was from 2013:
"CBC’s Elliotte Friedman unveiled: NHL teams that find themselves four points or more out of a playoff spot on November 1 almost never recover to make the postseason."

on November 1st, Edmonton had 9 points and 8th place had 14pts... leaving them 5 points out of the playoffs...

One month in and we find our selves once again eliminated from the playoffs...sort of..

we didnt even need a stat like that (like the 0-2 NFL stat) to know this team is not ready for the playoffs from top to bottom in the organization.

a team that pays Benoit Pouliot that much money for playing OK in the playoffs on a staunch Ranger team that over achieved + lame possession numbers = bozo town.

the money wasted over the past 8 years on trash rosters and the efficiency of winning to pay for the minimal wins is hilarious. it has to be astronomically bad for the cost of each win. maybe the CORSI bros can run those numbers to see how much it costs to be horrible.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
We're barely into November and it looks like we've given up all hope. That has to be a record.

Didn't Dallas Eakins set the record last year? I think we're just tying it again this year. Probably could have broken it, but the schedule makers were very nice this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad