Proposal: Edmonton-Washington

Apr 9, 2009
USA
A guy who is playing overseas, a 4th line winger/replacement level player who the Caps already yet walk, a 2nd round pick, and conditional picks if he were to re-sign and you think that's too rich an offer?

Easy pass from Washington. They want to win the Cup this year since Holtby is almost certainly gone and Backstrom needs to be re-signed as well, and I can't see them relying on a guy with 1 NHL game under his belt to backstop those efforts.

Counter-offer: Puljujarvi for Holtby's rights at the draft.

If you word it like that, it sounds terrible. You could also say a top 5 pick a couple years ago with loads of talent, a player who scored 22 last year in Edmonton, a 2nd and possibly a 1st. That doesn't sound all that bad.

I dont care that you pass. I'm annoyed that you made it sound like it was nothing. It's a trade for one year of a goalie and you're getting a good prospect, bottom 6er and potentially a 1st and 2nd. It ain't that bad.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Note: only if Washington is high on Samsonov, confident in him being their starter and Edmonton is looking to be a playoff-bound team. But the other circumstances here are Holtby entering UFA territory.

Edmonton:
Braden Holtby

Washington:
Jesse Puljujarvi
2nd 2020
Conditional 1st 2020/2021/2022 (if Holtby signs extension longer than 6 years)
Alex Chiasson

Would say Koskinen or Russell but those are difficult, think Oiler fans would rather Smith over Koskinen right now. Only way I think there'd be a liable way to move Koskinen's contract is by loaning it to the KHL.

3 first rounders? you are joking right?

nzoilerfan

May 18, 2011
Sheesh that's a hard no from Washington - EDM won't want to be giving up too much for a UFA anyways. They have too much tied up in Koskinen already. Probably high on Hollands list to deal with that, but until sorted not enough cap space.

How about Puljujarvi for Copley and a draft pick.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Yakupov still had some value 3 years out, not to mention Puljujarvi has size speed and defensive play on Yakupov. His floor is much higher.
This is all what’s known as an opinion and I hope you’ll feel free to feel offended if I disagree with Yours. Literally the only thing Puljujaarvi currently has on Yakupov is time and that is quickly running out.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
While EDM seems a very likely landing spot for Holtby especially if the Caps brass is looking to move on I suspect that the Oilers would want to have an extension in place if moved at the TDL.

That being said that package is way to lite for a SC winning goalie with an extension. Furthermore I would think that EDM would want to try and Pawn Off Koskinen to some team and run Holtby/Smith. EDM can’t afford 10 million plus on two goalies. That is gonna take somebody serious assets to move Kosk.

I suspect the Caps go for one last run and then Holtby is given a hardy handshake at seasons end-thanks for all that you have done for the organization.

Futures Passed

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.
Sep 2, 2018
I don’t see this making sense for either team. Edmonton already lacks cap space. They are in no position to go after an expensive rental. They need to think long term and will struggle just to make the playoffs if they’re lucky. They have already invested in other goalies. I don’t see them making a move like this in general, so I think they’re actually a bad fit.

As for Washington, I don’t see them trading Holtby. He will go on at least one final cup run with the Caps and he still may resign. The Caps are still in win now mode.

Even if GMBM did consider it for some reason, the price tag would be very high and no one wants Puljujarvi. The Oilers would be better off letting him develop in Finland for awhile and hopefully becoming a much better player than he currently is in a couple of seasons because his value is just not very high right now, so I can’t see him being an attractive asset.

Any Holtby trade would require a first round draft pick, a blue chip prospect, and either a second round pick or another quality prospect at minimum. Since the Caps almost certainly won’t consider trading him in the first place though, the offer would have to be so extraordinarily good that they would actually have to stop and seriously consider it. We all know that posters in Hockeysfuture almost always offer less than players actual value though and, when they don’t, everyone freaks out, so the whole hypothetical is fairly ridiculous. Any offer that would actually get Washington’s attention is one that the other team’s fans will immediately say they would pass on, so it’s pretty easy to predict how this conversation plays out.

scenario 1:

other team’s fan: makes crappy offer that the Caps would never consider

Caps fans: why would we ever possibly consider that? It’s a terrible offer and we’re trying to win the Cup right now in Ov and the core’s remaining window. Hard pass.

scenario 2:

caps fans: here’s a real offer that Washington might actually consider because it was so attractive you might actually get the Caps attention

other teams fans:

OMG, ROFL! We’d never consider that! We’re only making terrible offers no one in their right mind would ever consider in the first place like we were playing GM on some early 90s Sega Genesis hockey game. Please give us the player for a hand full of pucks. Hard pass.

- The End

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
I’m not Holtby’s biggest fan but he’s not too far removed from a cup and Elite status. There is not one team I can think of that’s a goalie away that had pieces to acquire someone of Holtby’s level to spare without setting them back. This includes Edmonton. Oil needs their draft picks to fill out the roster in the future with their core pieces in place.

Reactions: TS Quint

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
While EDM seems a very likely landing spot for Holtby especially if the Caps brass is looking to move on I suspect that the Oilers would want to have an extension in place if moved at the TDL.

That being said that package is way to lite for a SC winning goalie with an extension. Furthermore I would think that EDM would want to try and Pawn Off Koskinen to some team and run Holtby/Smith. EDM can’t afford 10 million plus on two goalies. That is gonna take somebody serious assets to move Kosk.

I suspect the Caps go for one last run and then Holtby is given a hardy handshake at seasons end-thanks for all that you have done for the organization.
I don't believe Holtby would go to Edmonton.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
If you word it like that, it sounds terrible. You could also say a top 5 pick a couple years ago with loads of talent, a player who scored 22 last year in Edmonton, a 2nd and possibly a 1st. That doesn't sound all that bad.

I dont care that you pass. I'm annoyed that you made it sound like it was nothing. It's a trade for one year of a goalie and you're getting a good prospect, bottom 6er and potentially a 1st and 2nd. It ain't that bad.
Who cares where he was picked? Giving draft position value is like saying he's almost as good as Crosby, or Yakupov is still as good as Crosby. That has to be the worst way of valuing a player you can possibly come up with. Draft position means NOTHING two years later. We have so much more information since then.

Loads of talent based on what? Not his play.

What is your offer for Pool Party from a Pens stand point?

A guy who scored 22 goals getting dragged around by McDavid. Maroon got 28. How does he look without McDavid? That's why McDavid gets paid the big dollars.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
He is indeed. I firmly believe he will go somewhere though (IF the Caps decide not to sign him) where he can win.

If Edmonton had a goalie they would be a lot closer. Not an Oiler fan but with Bouchard and other D coming up if they get a goalie and winger they are looking good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad