Proposal: Edmonton-Washington

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Note: only if Washington is high on Samsonov, confident in him being their starter and Edmonton is looking to be a playoff-bound team. But the other circumstances here are Holtby entering UFA territory.

Edmonton:
Braden Holtby

Washington:
Jesse Puljujarvi
2nd 2020
Conditional 1st 2020/2021/2022 (if Holtby signs extension longer than 6 years)
Alex Chiasson

Would say Koskinen or Russell but those are difficult, think Oiler fans would rather Smith over Koskinen right now. Only way I think there'd be a liable way to move Koskinen's contract is by loaning it to the KHL.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Pass from Edmonton.

On the off chance that Holtby becomes an Oiler it'd have to be next summer as a free agent.

A guy who is playing overseas, a 4th line winger/replacement level player who the Caps already let walk, a 2nd round pick, and conditional picks if he were to re-sign and you think that's too rich an offer?

Easy pass from Washington. They want to win the Cup this year since Holtby is almost certainly gone and Backstrom needs to be re-signed as well, and I can't see them relying on a guy with 1 NHL game under his belt to backstop those efforts.

Counter-offer: Puljujarvi for Holtby's rights at the draft.

Last edited:

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
The only way Washington moves him during the season is if let’s say he has a month or two injury and Samsanov comes in and looks fabulous for a that stretch. Even at that, where will the Oilers be at that point in the season??

You only have short windows to win Cups and trading away one of your core pieces to get there, just doesn’t happen.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
A guy who is playing overseas, a 4th line winger/replacement level player who the Caps already yet walk, a 2nd round pick, and conditional picks if he were to re-sign and you think that's too rich an offer?

Easy pass from Washington. They want to win the Cup this year since Holtby is almost certainly gone and Backstrom needs to be re-signed as well, and I can't see them relying on a guy with 1 NHL game under his belt to backstop those efforts.

Never said Washington does it just that Edmonton doesn't, not sure why you don't get that.

Doesn't make any sense for Edmonton to give up a 1st round plus for a Holtby at this point.

Lol at Puljujarvi to talk to Holtby early though, not really sure why you decided to add that nonsense to the discussion.

Reactions: voxel

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Only way I think there'd be a liable way to move Koskinen's contract is by loaning it to the KHL.

I don't think this is possible - so your whole proposal is junk. All other NHL-to-KHL have been ELC type players. The past CBA might have allowed it. Otherwise it would have been done before (Datsyuk, Shipachyov, Kovy) more recently. Koskinen's isn't going to walk away from $4.5M/yr either.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Can’t see Edmonton doing this. Like it or not we’ve hitched our wagon to Koskinen. I cannot see us paying what’s likely to be 12+ million in goaltending for the foreseeable future and we’ve invested heavily in goaltending with recent picks, and giving up that much to effectively just sign a guy in free agency.

We’ll get by with what we have until one of Starrett/Skinner/Wells/Rodrigue/Konovalov emerges as a starter.

Reactions: BudBundy

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Pass.

Those pieces don't help the Capitals right now, Oilers can't fit him for cap reasons and Holtby is a winner. He's not going to go to a team like the Oilers.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
It doesn't matter if Washington is mga-high on Samsonov at the deadline. They won't trade a proven playoff starter who's won the Stanley Cup. 2 depth players at best, a 2nd and maybe a low 1st (if Holtby is for some reason willing to stay in Edmonton) are all very unlikely to have the same impact Holtby can make over one playoffs.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
A guy who is playing overseas, a 4th line winger/replacement level player who the Caps already yet walk, a 2nd round pick, and conditional picks if he were to re-sign and you think that's too rich an offer?

Look at the other 2016 1st round picks who have made 0 NHL impact, but are still considered high impact prospects.
Are you offering draft rights for them? Even Samsonov hasn’t done jack in the NHL, so f*** off with that bullshit

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Look at the other 2016 1st round picks who have made 0 NHL impact, but are still considered high impact prospects.
Are you offering draft rights for them? Even Samsonov hasn’t done jack in the NHL, so **** off with that bull****

How is that the same? Those prospects have been developing their game in the Juniors or AHL and have been trending upwards. Puljujarvi has been a borderline 4th liner and trending downwards all along, and now he has bolted to Europe, refusing to sign with their Oilers. He might still become a solid NHL'er for some other team but that absolutely kills his trade value.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Nothing in this deal is going to motivate Washington to move Holtby, even if they KNEW he would be gone in the offseason. Having him on the roster for a cup run attempt is move valuable than anything in that offer.

Secondly, the Oilers are already paying Koskinen 4.5M. They can't afford to sign Holtby as a free agent anyway.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
How is that the same? Those prospects have been developing their game in the Juniors or AHL and have been trending upwards. Puljujarvi has been a borderline 4th liner and trending downwards all along, and now he has bolted to Europe, refusing to sign with their Oilers. He might still become a solid NHL'er for some other team but that absolutely kills his trade value.
He is still a 4th OA pick only 3 years out who still has value and this asshat is offering Holtbys negotiation rights for him.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Holtby would return a first just for the rental. There would be something conditional on top of that for an extension.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Caps aren’t going to trade Holtby this season unless they are definitely out of playoff contention. The chances of that happening are pretty slim unless they suffer some major injury problems between now and the TDL.

Someone might trade for Holtbys rights, but I doubt it. He most likely walks and gets a Bob like contract from some other team

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Are you offering draft rights for them? Even Samsonov hasn’t done jack in the NHL, so **** off with that bull****

If there are other 2016 1st rounders that have jetted to Europe rather than play for the organization that drafted them, after they were poorly developed and showed little chance of justifying their draft position, and a poster from that team makes a thread about acquiring Holtby, then yes, I'll request their draft rights as well.

Samsonov is considered in the top three prospects at his position in the world. He also dominated the AHL the second half of last season after taking some time to adjust to a new country and new rink size. Pulju... not so much.

The Capitals have a solid recent track record of squeezing some juice out of guys that were mismanaged or just didn't mesh with the organization that drafted them. Connolly, Eller, Kempny, DSP, and Oshie are all guys who were huge parts of the Cup run and in some cases continue to be leaders on the team, which is the basis for my interest in JP.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I think that 1st needs to be guaranteed and not lottery protected + Pulju + Smith to backup Samsonov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad