Pre-Game Talk: Edmonton v Vegas. He’s Aliiiiiiiiiive.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Mary Browns Nashville hot chicken sandwich is awesome. The thick cut potato wedges are good too.
I’m gonna try that!!!

KFC is best Hangover medicine. I use to ask them to leave it the grease a few minutes extra. That will suck up those booze cells and great for the arteries
Yes it is! That I do agree with! Nothing like a naked split, eating some KFC!

Wait… what? Scratch that last par t

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
Ah, that time of year approaching.

When people haphazardly schedule important events (wedding, family reunion, charity dinners, etc) while not bothering to think "if there ends up being a playoff game during this event, will it result in people bailing on my event, or simply not wanting to be at my event?" There are always a gauntlet of weddings around this time of year that get wrecked by playoffs. I was at one during Game 2 against Vegas last year and 70% of the attendees had the game on their phone during the ceremony. Just last Friday my Dad was forced to go to his Cousin's 60th birthday party at some hall, pretty much every man there wasn't happy about it, and most of them were huddled around phones. And this isn't even playoffs yet.

Wish there was a bulletin that could be sent out around March in years where we contend to every Edmontonian saying "warning - you risk your event being ruined if a playoff game lands at this time. If the event can occur July or later, consider scheduling then."
Haha... so selfish of them right?

Worst part is that I'm in Toronto, so no one cares about the Oilers like I do.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Gary has been keeping this league down for years. The sooner he's willing to GTFO , the better. I think there's a lot of old heads that need to retire. Time for a fresh approach with the league. Right now it feels like a sham of an operation.

If team owners are ok with how the league operates then they're dumb AF too. Giving a team(s) an unfair advantage only lessens your chance of making the playoffs, winning a round ,winning the cup and could lessen fan interest. Even if it's a marginal chance, why sign off on it? Each round generates revenue for your team , you dumb f***s.
Maybe your a young dude I don't know you but Gary saved the NHL in the 90's by getting much needed revenue with his push to grow the game in America. Our dollar was worth half of the US and several teams in Canada including the oilers were at serious risk. People whine about it being Canadas game you know what else is Canada's game? The CFL and that's exactly what type of league the NHL was trending to become. Our games were shown on OLN and ESPN 3. American expansion and then imposing the cap saved hockey and the cap has grown from 37 million and if not for COVID it would be near 97+ million. Wealthy men are lining up to buy an expansion team. He's turned the south into a hockey loving region and had teams down there far out drawing most Canadian markets while bringing in way more revenue than most of Canada. Not singling you out personally but it's really pathetic when fellow Canadians think every Canadian city that wants a team should have one when the truth is the only teams that bring in big money are the three biggest markets. If Gary was a monster, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton would have been moved to four massive markets in the states where there's actual growth potential. You don't see the MLB or NBA with teams in Idaho or North Dakota but yet we have teams in supposed rabid Canadian markets that draw less than Florida, Carolina Nashville, Dallas Vegas etc. I will never understand why people shit all over a guy who basically saved the sport during the 90's.

As for him somehow fixing shit to benefit American teams, come on man you surely must know how stupid that is right? Like what all the Canadian owners are like sure we don't mind not generating playoff revenue, revenue that goes 100% into their pocket. How do you explain the oilers getting all those 1st overalls? Do you really think doctors would risk their license to let Vegas; use LTIR and that Gary and the other owners would be ok with it?
All the people who spout this nonsense really need to give their heads a shake and when the oilers re-sign #97 to 16 million a year you guys can thank Gary for growing the game to the point that a city of 300k or whatever can compete financially with the teams with 30 million people. Take a look at the MLB and how small market teams almost never land the stars because rich clubs have the ability to build super teams.

Reactions: Macheteops

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
I bet Stone will be back game 1 and look fine. I haven't been following that situation but I don't feel I need to. The Knights and Stone are aware of the public perception of that situation. I don't think they made it up but it makes sense to exaggerate it. I'm open to being wrong on this. If it plays out like you say I'll admit it is a surprise to me.
If he’s back game 1 he faked it imo

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
it's really pathetic when fellow Canadians think every Canadian city that wants a team should have one when the truth is the only teams that bring in big money are the three biggest markets. If Gary was a monster, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton would have been moved to four massive markets in the states where there's actual growth potential.
1) the Oilers make ‘big money’. Almost any site you care to look at says they have been in the top three since the new rink opened. But you probably give Gary the credit for that as well.

2) nobody that I’ve ever met thinks every Canadian city that wants a team should get one. Your argument would be more convincing if you didn’t make stuff up.

3) the NHL has already failed in places like Cleveland, Kansas City and Atlanta. Just because a market is large doesn’t mean it will support the NHL. There’s a lot of competition for entertainment dollars and many Americans would rather watch other sports.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
1) the Oilers make ‘big money’. Almost any site you care to look at says they have been in the top three since the new rink opened. But you probably give Gary the credit for that as well.

2) nobody that I’ve ever met thinks every Canadian city that wants a team should get one. Your argument would be more convincing if you didn’t make stuff up.

3) the NHL has already failed in places like Cleveland, Kansas City and Atlanta. Just because a market is large doesn’t mean it will support the NHL. There’s a lot of competition for entertainment dollars and many Americans would rather watch other sports.
I just reported him for trolling and I got a warning for calling him a moron. Boot this fella outta here. Not sure what to call him now. This WOKE movement is NFG

Reactions: TB12

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
And Campbell was probably taken apart for organs. Stone will get his right nut.
Any it likely gets rejected

Mcdavid missing games isn’t great, it’s a natural worry but he has a high pain tolerance and can play through a lot, if this was the playoffs he would be playing.

was listed 1 to 2 weeks and missed 2 games lol day to day prob misses rest of regular season
Puts some coin back in the kitty as well. Maybe can pay a bit of Browns bonus this year.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
If you ever make it down to the States, I highly suggest Zaxby's or Raising Canes. Some of the best chicken I have ever laid lips on.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Popeye's hot chicken sandwich is good.
They just got it here in Halifax the last year. I only ate their once.

Now Ill tell ya a restaurant I really liked and I believe you guys have them in Edmonton, Olive Garden. There are none east of Manitoba. I ate there outside Buffalo in August. Dandy

If you ever make it down to the States, I highly suggest Zaxby's or Raising Canes. Some of the best chicken I have ever laid lips on.
Deep South?

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017

@bringbacktheskate604

So I noticed you never mentioned Vancouver in your rant on Canadian cities that could have been moved, I was there in 90's and witnessed sparse crowds. They should have moved the team after their fans destroyed the city in 1994 and 2011. It will never happen, but can you imagine if Vancouver actually won a cup? Very uneducated city of fans on the game of hockey. I played in Burnaby 8 Rinks in leagues out there. Our pick up team from little towns throughout NS destroyed them . Wish I had a chance to play against ya

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
@bringbacktheskate604

So I noticed you never mentioned Vancouver in your rant on Canadian cities that could have been moved, I was there in 90's and witnessed sparse crowds. They should have moved the team after their fans destroyed the city in 1994 and 2011. It will never happen, but can you imagine if Vancouver actually won a cup? Very uneducated city of fans on the game of hockey. I played in Burnaby 8 Rinks in leagues out there. Our pick up team from little towns throughout NS destroyed them . Wish I had a chance to play against ya

Best way to sum up Nuck fans - other than possibly Montreal I don't think there is another City in the country that would boo Team Canada and openly cheer for the Soviets like they did in '72.

That whole circus optimized their mentality as hockey fans and it hasn't changed in 50 years since.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
They just got it here in Halifax the last year. I only ate their once.

Now Ill tell ya a restaurant I really liked and I believe you guys have them in Edmonton, Olive Garden. There are none east of Manitoba. I ate there outside Buffalo in August. Dandy

Deep South?
Soup, salad, and breadsticks. Unlimited. Yum yum yum.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Best way to sum up Nuck fans - other than possibly Montreal I don't think there is another City in the country that would boo Team Canada and openly cheer for the Soviets like they did in '72.

That whole circus optimized their mentality as hockey fans and it hasn't changed in 50 years since.
Great point. Glad you brought that up. I seen the video of Phil Espo coming on the TV and pleading with the fans not to boo.
Only fans worse then that were Philly fans. They booed Santa FFS.

Man, what a speech by Phil. Really inspiring.

Reactions: Biltmore

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Great point. Glad you brought that up. I seen the video of Phil Espo coming on the TV and pleading with the fans not to boo.
Only fans worse then that were Philly fans. They booed Santa FFS.

Man, what a speech by Phil. Really inspiring.

This was almost 30 years before I was born, and even though I wasn't even a thought yet, it still pisses me off how they behaved. The total lack of understanding of the consequences of what they did (the propaganda victory for the Soviets in the heart of the Cold War, not to mention the gall of cheering for the enemy) can't be described as anything other than immature, ignorant, and straight up stupid.

Reactions: Biltmore

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
I’m gonna try that!!!

Yes it is! That I do agree with! Nothing like a naked split, eating some KFC!

Wait… what? Scratch that last par t
My friends...this place on Jasper Ave is a gamechanger.

You're welcome.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Popeye's hot chicken sandwich is good.

I had it in the States when everyone was raging about it and didn’t see what the big deal was tbh. Maybe expectations were too raised.

Best Nashville Hot Chicken sandwich I ever had was in Nashville at Hattie B’s. Go figure…

My friends...this place on Jasper Ave is a gamechanger.

You're welcome.

Why does it have to be downtown?!?!? Edit - it’s in McCauley even worse. Maybe I’ll stop in there before the game tonight and try it out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad