Pre-Game Talk: Edmonton v Vegas. He’s Aliiiiiiiiiive.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
This was almost 30 years before I was born, and even though I wasn't even a thought yet, it still pisses me off how they behaved. The total lack of understanding of the consequences of what they did (the propaganda victory for the Soviets in the heart of the Cold War, not to mention the gall of cheering for the enemy) can't be described as anything other than immature, ignorant, and straight up stupid.
I was around but very young. I was 3. Just old enough to hate the Leafs, Habs, and Canucks.

Phil mentioned in interview around end that fans in Vancouver were yelling at him " Communism is better" . Typical for that place. You are 100% correct, they were immature, ignorant, and straight up stupid. Now the people in the city are so out to lunch they probably would vote Communism

Reactions: Biltmore and K1984

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Maybe your a young dude I don't know you but Gary saved the NHL in the 90's by getting much needed revenue with his push to grow the game in America. Our dollar was worth half of the US and several teams in Canada including the oilers were at serious risk. People whine about it being Canadas game you know what else is Canada's game? The CFL and that's exactly what type of league the NHL was trending to become. Our games were shown on OLN and ESPN 3. American expansion and then imposing the cap saved hockey and the cap has grown from 37 million and if not for COVID it would be near 97+ million. Wealthy men are lining up to buy an expansion team. He's turned the south into a hockey loving region and had teams down there far out drawing most Canadian markets while bringing in way more revenue than most of Canada. Not singling you out personally but it's really pathetic when fellow Canadians think every Canadian city that wants a team should have one when the truth is the only teams that bring in big money are the three biggest markets. If Gary was a monster, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton would have been moved to four massive markets in the states where there's actual growth potential. You don't see the MLB or NBA with teams in Idaho or North Dakota but yet we have teams in supposed rabid Canadian markets that draw less than Florida, Carolina Nashville, Dallas Vegas etc. I will never understand why people shit all over a guy who basically saved the sport during the 90's.

As for him somehow fixing shit to benefit American teams, come on man you surely must know how stupid that is right? Like what all the Canadian owners are like sure we don't mind not generating playoff revenue, revenue that goes 100% into their pocket. How do you explain the oilers getting all those 1st overalls? Do you really think doctors would risk their license to let Vegas; use LTIR and that Gary and the other owners would be ok with it?
All the people who spout this nonsense really need to give their heads a shake and when the oilers re-sign #97 to 16 million a year you guys can thank Gary for growing the game to the point that a city of 300k or whatever can compete financially with the teams with 30 million people. Take a look at the MLB and how small market teams almost never land the stars because rich clubs have the ability to build super teams.
Lot of hyperbole in your post.

Canadian markets have traditionally been the breadwinner for NHL with revenue generation through higher ticket prices and lucrative broadcasting deals because hockey has been king, not LA King, for the country's population. ("The confidential document shows that the six Canadian NHL clubs last season accounted for about 33 per cent of the $1.2 billion (U.S.) in league ticket revenue. In 2007-08, Canada’s six teams represented 31 per cent." For NHL, the cash is in Canada )

The broadcast failing you cite was tied to a regional, cold weather sport trying to find its footing within a crowded, established American sporting culture. They accepted anything and it showed with bad business deals with fringe partners. Meanwhile the Canadian markets fed league revenues and buildings. The short-term currency crisis followed significant labour changes including standardizing the league and team's largest expense, player contracts, into U.S. dollars; younger free agency; and a rape and pillage mentality with large markets raiding smaller ones for elite talent. Kill the game where it mattered and drove league revenue viability was not an option. Leaving monopolistic conditions in Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver would be foolish and a learned mistake through Winnipeg's relocation to a metaphorical revenue desert.

Bettman has been an overwhelming success in his essentially sole purpose to drive revenue and business success to the NHL cartel ownership groups. The NHL is steadily weaning itself off the overwhelming foundational revenue of its Canadian consortia members. But that hasn't necessarily jived with the viability and success of the NHL game in Canada. Two tier league status now exists and is growing through no tax jurisdictions, new big destination cities who promised lifestyle options, anonymity, and softer working conditions for a new generation workforce less content and accepting of playing anywhere for the privilege of playing the game at apex NHL level.

Do agree though, there's no tinfoil Bettman conspiracy theory against Canadian NHL franchises. He's still stumping and guilting for public subsidized 'housing' for Canadian owners to help both their owners and league profitability. But it's secondary to chasing the big money which is continuing to grow the game in the U.S. of A.

Last edited:

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I had it in the States when everyone was raging about it and didn’t see what the big deal was tbh. Maybe expectations were too raised.

Best Nashville Hot Chicken sandwich I ever had was in Nashville at Hattie B’s. Go figure…

Why does it have to be downtown?!?!? Edit - it’s in McCauley even worse. Maybe I’ll stop in there before the game tonight and try it out.
Hattie B's is legend! Had a nuclear hot Hot Chicken sandy there that was so good. Have a couple good options in Vancouver but man it's hard to find good BBQ ... and Greek Style pizza in this town.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Maybe your a young dude I don't know you but Gary saved the NHL in the 90's by getting much needed revenue with his push to grow the game in America. Our dollar was worth half of the US and several teams in Canada including the oilers were at serious risk. People whine about it being Canadas game you know what else is Canada's game? The CFL and that's exactly what type of league the NHL was trending to become. Our games were shown on OLN and ESPN 3. American expansion and then imposing the cap saved hockey and the cap has grown from 37 million and if not for COVID it would be near 97+ million. Wealthy men are lining up to buy an expansion team. He's turned the south into a hockey loving region and had teams down there far out drawing most Canadian markets while bringing in way more revenue than most of Canada. Not singling you out personally but it's really pathetic when fellow Canadians think every Canadian city that wants a team should have one when the truth is the only teams that bring in big money are the three biggest markets. If Gary was a monster, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton would have been moved to four massive markets in the states where there's actual growth potential. You don't see the MLB or NBA with teams in Idaho or North Dakota but yet we have teams in supposed rabid Canadian markets that draw less than Florida, Carolina Nashville, Dallas Vegas etc. I will never understand why people shit all over a guy who basically saved the sport during the 90's.

As for him somehow fixing shit to benefit American teams, come on man you surely must know how stupid that is right? Like what all the Canadian owners are like sure we don't mind not generating playoff revenue, revenue that goes 100% into their pocket. How do you explain the oilers getting all those 1st overalls? Do you really think doctors would risk their license to let Vegas; use LTIR and that Gary and the other owners would be ok with it?
All the people who spout this nonsense really need to give their heads a shake and when the oilers re-sign #97 to 16 million a year you guys can thank Gary for growing the game to the point that a city of 300k or whatever can compete financially with the teams with 30 million people. Take a look at the MLB and how small market teams almost never land the stars because rich clubs have the ability to build super teams.
I've witnessed 9 cups and two dynasties. Lived in Montreal and Edmonton so no ,I'm not young. You didn't need to go on about Gary's good deeds. That was years ago. He's been given credit for that by many of us here already about saving the Oilers from moving to Houston. I'm talking about NOW. The game could be marketed a lot better especially the individual players. That's been an issue for years. I don't like the dodgy officiating, offside rules and I don't like the LTIR BS . I could go on but don't want to. You keep cheerleading for him.

Reactions: Biltmore

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Lot of hyperbole in your post.

Canadian markets have traditionally been the breadwinner for NHL with revenue generation through higher ticket prices and lucrative broadcasting deals because hockey has been king, not LA King, for the country's population. ("The confidential document shows that the six Canadian NHL clubs last season accounted for about 33 per cent of the $1.2 billion (U.S.) in league ticket revenue. In 2007-08, Canada’s six teams represented 31 per cent." For NHL, the cash is in Canada )

The broadcast failing you cite was tied to a regional, cold weather sport trying to find its footing within a crowded, established American sporting culture. They accepted anything and it showed with bad business deals with fringe partners. Meanwhile the Canadian markets fed league revenues and buildings. The short-term currency crisis followed significant labour changes including standardizing the league and team's largest expense, player contracts, into U.S. dollars; younger free agency; and a rape and pillage mentality with large markets raiding smaller ones for elite talent. Kill the game where it mattered and drove league revenue viability was not an option. Leaving monopolistic conditions in Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver would be foolish and a learned mistake through Winnipeg's relocation to a metaphorical revenue desert.

Bettman has been an overwhelming success in his essentially sole purpose to drive revenue and business success to the NHL cartel ownership groups. The NHL is steadily weaning itself off the overwhelming foundational revenue of its Canadian consortia members. But that hasn't necessarily jived with the viability and success of the NHL game in Canada. Two tier league status now exists and is growing through no tax jurisdictions, new big destination cities who promised lifestyle options, anonymity, and softer working conditions for a new generation workforce less content and accepting of playing anywhere for the privilege of playing the game at apex NHL level.

Do agree though, there's no tinfoil Bettman conspiracy theory against Canadian NHL franchises. He's still stumping and guilting for public subsidized 'housing' for Canadian owners to help their owners and league profitability. But it's secondary to chasing the big money which is continuing to grow the game in the U.S. of A.

The bold is the next biggest challenge that the CBA needs to address, but it simply never will because it favours teams that the NHL has a vested interest in seeing win from a variety of perspectives, financial and otherwise.

All of these issues create competitive imbalance that largely benefit the Lightning, Panthers, Rangers, Knights, and to a lesser extent Hurricanes and Stars:

1) No tax/low tax States (this one might legitimately be impossible to address directly)

2) Existence of no trade/limited trade clauses that allow players to limit which teams they get traded to, which not coincidentally tend to be to teams in no tax states that are competitive and in nice cities - this one is the big one for me. It creates a system where an exclusive list of 7 or 8 teams have access to a select group of elite players that they can get for below market value. Gives select markets the ability to reload or load up much, much faster and much, much cheaper than the rest of the league.

3) No interest in policing or reforming LTIR - this one isn't market specific, but due to point #2, the "sexy" markets are more incentivized to cheat the system because they have more big name players interested in joining their team for a song that they need to make room for.

Other than one offs, I am predicting a steady stream of the teams I listed earlier in my post winning the Cup for no reason other than they get to play by different rules.

Reactions: Biltmore

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
The bold is the next biggest challenge that the CBA needs to address, but it simply never will because it favours teams that the NHL has a vested interest in seeing win from a variety of perspectives, financial and otherwise.

All of these issues create competitive imbalance that largely benefit the Lightning, Panthers, Rangers, Knights, and to a lesser extent Hurricanes and Stars:

1) No tax/low tax States (this one might legitimately be impossible to address directly)

2) Existence of no trade/limited trade clauses that allow players to limit which teams they get traded to, which not coincidentally tend to be to teams in no tax states that are competitive and in nice cities - this one is the big one for me. It creates a system where an exclusive list of 7 or 8 teams have access to a select group of elite players that they can get for below market value. Gives select markets the ability to reload or load up much, much faster and much, much cheaper than the rest of the league.

3) No interest in policing or reforming LTIR - this one isn't market specific, but due to point #2, the "sexy" markets are more incentivized to cheat the system because they have more big name players interested in joining their team for a song that they need to make room for.

Other than one offs, I am predicting a steady stream of the teams I listed earlier in my post winning the Cup for no reason other than they get to play by different rules.
The challenge is a CBA has two partner interests at stake, ownership and its workforce.

The no/tax state is an extraneous issue beyond their control. But I'd personally love to see some sort of neutral cap revenue system that adjusts the cap thresholds on a per team basis to level and create a consistent, even financial range for all teams. More complex but sure it could be do-able ...
Can't do anything about the shifting worker choice to work and live in attractive options down south but at least standardize the cap to ensure one economic range that all teams compete within for talent.

I can't see them regulating no trade/limited trade. Players won't support this and it really comes down to ownership philosophies to self-regulate their own dumb decisions to issue them. Alot of time players release their right in trade. Owners have to be careful of collusion allegations if this suddenly became a league practise to forgo these provisions in any contracts.

Hopefully LTIR can be considered to apply consistently to playoff competition as well as regular season. Not sure why healthy teams through the 82 game meat grinder get hosed when LTIR intentionally or incidentally can be leveraged for playoff success.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015

Why are you so obsessed with us?

You have your own team board.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

I actually agree that Bettman deserves credit for saving several Canadian teams. But a huge percentage of this post is just way off. Forbes numbers of course leave some big ??? mostly on the operating income side. Their revenue numbers have typically been the most accurate pieces of their data.

Last year Forbes had the Oilers revenue numbers ahead of every US team. I am not sure I buy that fully but it would not be a stretch to see them higher than all but a couple of US teams.

Florida has had financial issues for much of its tenure in the NHL. Arizona should probably have been gone multiple times. Nashville did a great job of turning things around but they were on life support for years. Aside from LA and Dallas none of the southern teams had been regularly in the upper half of the NHL revenue picture until Vegas came along.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad