Proposal: Edmonton-Tampa Bay

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
High hockey IQ is pretty much the #1 criteria for the picks that Tampa make. Benson would fit in well with us, but I don't see a reason for Edmonton to trade him. Unless Keith Gretzky is a terrible interim GM?

Our last competent GM was Kevin Lowe, who in an embarrassment in other ways , (Six Rings speech, Tiers of fans, demanding Comrie’s signing bonus back, etc) so I’m not expecting managerial brilliance.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
wow... was expecting bigger names.

Would this deal even get stickied if it actually happened?

:facepalm: Why does it matter? Why does every thread have to discuss star players? Let people talk about whatever players they want to talk about.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Verhaeghe will get his opportunity next year, we'll need cheap contracts and he's likely to provide instant support.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Have no interest in this deal. Verheaghe is Syracuse best player and could possibly be the Les Cunningham winner this year. That's how good he's been. Benson is also a LW which we don't need in Syracuse or Tampa as it's our deepest position.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Ya that’s my point. Verhaeghe has no track record in the NHL. Tampa isn’t going to get much in return for him until he does, and I don’t blame them in the slightest if they’d rather keep him instead of dealing him for a mid round pick.

Yeah I don’t see us dealing him for a mid-round pick or a questionable prospect. Not saying Carter is going to amount to anything special in the NHL but there’s a chance we’ll lose one of our bottom six centers to the cap over the next couple of years and right now he’s one of our few center prospects in a position to compete for one of those roles. So he’s not a guy we’re going to just throw away at this point.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Yeah I don’t see us dealing him for a mid-round pick or a questionable prospect. Not saying Carter is going to amount to anything special in the NHL but there’s a chance we’ll lose one of our bottom six centers to the cap over the next couple of years and right now he’s one of our few center prospects in a position to compete for one of those roles. So he’s not a guy we’re going to just throw away at this point.

Tyler Benson is not a questionable prospect, guy.

Reactions: TFHockey

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Tyler Benson is not a questionable prospect, guy.

He would be for Tampa though. We have on the NHL roster Johnson, Palat, Killorn and Miller plaupla LW all signed for at least 4 more years. In the system we have Volkov, Katchouk Barre-Boulet and Fortier. Benson does nothing for us as a prospect. We are Michigan thinner at center. So a C for C deal or Verheage for a RD who make more sense.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
He would be for Tampa though. We have on the NHL roster Johnson, Palat, Killorn and Miller plaupla LW all signed for at least 4 more years. In the system we have Volkov, Katchouk Barre-Boulet and Fortier. Benson does nothing for us as a prospect. We are Michigan thinner at center. So a C for C deal or Verheage for a RD who make more sense.
How would that make Tyler Benson a "questionable prospect"? With your post in mind, you should have said that Benson would have a questionable future in Tampa Bay due to the depth on LW.

A "questionable prospect" would be a prospect who does not have a good chance at making the NHL, which would be untrue for Benson because of his hockey IQ.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
How would that make Tyler Benson a "questionable prospect"? With your post in mind, you should have said that Benson would have a questionable future in Tampa Bay due to the depth on LW.

A "questionable prospect" would be a prospect who does not have a good chance at making the NHL, which would be untrue for Benson because of his hockey IQ.
Much first line says he would for Tampa. There are plenty of kids who are talented enough to play in the NHL but end up in the wrong situation. They don't get that chance to prove themselves or by the time they due it's too late as the organization doesn't want them anymore and they can't stick. Slater Koekkoek was a 10th overall for us and played in the playoffs a few years ago but spent the majority of the past few seasons in the press box because of our talent ahead of him. He had the skills but couldn't get the chance so his value was nothing for us. Benson would be the same way as he would have little value with who is ahead of him. While Verheaghe does because he's the next C up.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I wouldn't move a second round pick for him. The Oilers can snag a good player with a high second.

Agreed. I wouldn’t move either. 23 year olds having good AHL seasons is no guarantee of NHL successs and Bakersfield is doing pretty well at the moment.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Much first line says he would for Tampa. There are plenty of kids who are talented enough to play in the NHL but end up in the wrong situation. They don't get that chance to prove themselves or by the time they due it's too late as the organization doesn't want them anymore and they can't stick. Slater Koekkoek was a 10th overall for us and played in the playoffs a few years ago but spent the majority of the past few seasons in the press box because of our talent ahead of him. He had the skills but couldn't get the chance so his value was nothing for us. Benson would be the same way as he would have little value with who is ahead of him. While Verheaghe does because he's the next C up.
So you agree with my post that Benson is not a "questionable prospect" but instead would have a questionable future in Tampa Bay due to their LW depth, therefore Tampa would not be interested in him.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
So you agree with my post that Benson is not a "questionable prospect" but instead would have a questionable future in Tampa Bay due to their LW depth, therefore Tampa would not be interested in him.

That's literally what I said in my first post. He would be a questionable prospect for us. Not someone we should be trading our AHL MVP for.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
That's literally what I said in my first post. He would be a questionable prospect for us. Not someone we should be trading our AHL MVP for.

You never said that Tyler Benson would be a "questionable prospect" for the Tampa Bay Lightning. Instead, you posted suggested that Benson is a "questionable prospect". These two sentences have a very different meaning.

1) Tyler Benson is a "questionable prospect" for us.
In this instance, you are referring to how Tyler Benson would have a lot of question marks for the Tampa Bay Lightning.

2) Tyler Benson is a "questionable prospect"
In this instance, you are stating how Benson would have questions mark for every single team in the league, which would suggest that he is not a good prospect.

Reactions: spaghtti

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
You never said that Tyler Benson would be a "questionable prospect" for the Tampa Bay Lightning. Instead, you posted suggested that Benson is a "questionable prospect". These two sentences have a very different meaning.

1) Tyler Benson is a "questionable prospect" for us.
In this instance, you are referring to how Tyler Benson would have a lot of question marks for the Tampa Bay Lightning.

2) Tyler Benson is a "questionable prospect"
In this instance, you are stating how Benson would have questions mark for every single team in the league, which would suggest that he is not a good prospect.

First of all Hose and I are not the same person. Second I do think Benson’s injury history is sufficient to bring his future into question to at least some extent. Plenty of guys overcome early issues with injuries and go on to have excellent NHL careers; plenty more fail to do so. Before I say that Benson will have a better career than Verheaghe I want to at least see him go a couple seasons without any major health issues and put up numbers that would indicate a superior longterm development curve. And even then we run into the positional and timing issues that make Carter more valuable for our purposes.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
First of all Hose and I are not the same person. Second I do think Benson’s injury history is sufficient to bring his future into question to at least some extent. Plenty of guys overcome early issues with injuries and go on to have excellent NHL careers; plenty more fail to do so. Before I say that Benson will have a better career than Verheaghe I want to at least see him go a couple seasons without any major health issues and put up numbers that would indicate a superior longterm development curve. And even then we run into the positional and timing issues that make Carter more valuable for our purposes.
1) I got confused since both of you guys had no picture so assumed both of you were the same. My fault.
2) His injuries are a concern. However, none of his injuries have been a repeat.

Also, I do agree with your post that it makes no sense for the Tampa Bay Lightning to trade for a less developed prospect when they are in win-now mode.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
To Edmonton:

Carter Verhaeghe
23 yo - 41 GP - 20 G - 28 - 48 P.

To Tampa Bay:

Tyler Benson
20 yo - 42 gp - 5 g - 29 a - 34 p.

OR

2nd round pick

I just want to see this kid given a chance and he can step in as a top 6 forward with Edmonton.
A second rounder for Verhaghe is overpayment.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Not trading Benson for what is at best a lateral move. (But actually worse since Benson is 3 years younger and only in his 1st pro season putting up very good numbers in the AHL)
If he's traded he's going to be part of a package for a proven player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad