To Edmonton:

Carter Verhaeghe
23 yo - 41 GP - 20 G - 28 - 48 P.

To Tampa Bay:

Tyler Benson
20 yo - 42 gp - 5 g - 29 a - 34 p.

OR

2nd round pick

I just want to see this kid given a chance and he can step in as a top 6 forward with Edmonton.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I don't know that TB would do it unless Syracuse is out of the playoff picture. TB is very invested in Syracuse being as successful as possible and he's a big part of it.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Wasn't Benson pretty well received when he was Drafted?

Benson was expect to be a 1st round pick but he was injured which dropped him out of the 1st round . He is also probably behind his development curve as he had a few injuries that has hurt him . Had he stayed healthy I have no doubt he would be in the NHL by now

Reactions: A91

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Why are we trading you a better player for either a worse player straight up or a pick that would be further away from helping us? And what is with all these garbage proposals involving Tampa lately?

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Why are we trading you a better player for either a worse player straight up or a pick that would be further away from helping us? And what is with all these garbage proposals involving Tampa lately?

I really don’t see Tampa getting Tyler Benson for Carter Verhaeghe anyway.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
wow... was expecting bigger names.

Would this deal even get stickied if it actually happened?

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Not trading Benson I think we have a top6 forward in him.
And hes a local favorite, somewhat of a child phenom if he had applied for CHL exceptional status he likely would have gotten it. First time in a while hes been healthy though so fingers crossed he has shed the injury-prone title

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Oilers say no. While Benson isnt as productive yet, hes 3 years younger and has higher potential. I think Benson is the better prospect so we keep him.

Reactions: thadd

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Wasn't Benson pretty well received when he was Drafted?
Benson is being well received right now. He's had injury issues that put his development behind, but he looks great in the AHL this year. The big question for him isn't if he will have the talent to play in the NHL, it's if his body will be able to withstand the speed and physicality. If it can, he's a sure shot middle six winger at worst. He's a better prospect than Verhaege, so we'll pass.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Benson is the runaway leader in the AHL in assists for rookies and the ice tilts heavily with him on the ice. I saw a post a couple days ago that Bakersfield rocks a 66% CF% with Benson on the ice, 55% without.

I have no interest in dealing either him or a 2nd rounder for a guy that’s 24 next season with well documented skating issues. Easy pass from Edmonton.

That’s like us offering Gambardella for Raddysh or a 2nd.

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
You aren't.

There is no basis to support that statement beyond draft position and hype. If you want to argue that Benson has greater longterm potential then that’s another story, though even then I’d say he needs to demonstrate that he can stay healthy before you can make any grand statements about his potential. But at the moment Verhaeghe is both the superior player and the one with fewer question marks concerning his health. You know this yourself or you wouldn’t be asking for the trade in the first place.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
There is no basis to support that statement beyond draft position and hype. If you want to argue that Benson has greater longterm potential then that’s another story, though even then I’d say he needs to demonstrate that he can stay healthy before you can make any grand statements about his potential. But at the moment Verhaeghe is both the superior player and the one with fewer question marks concerning his health. You know this yourself or you wouldn’t be asking for the trade in the first place.

We aren’t asking for anything.

OP is a Leafs fan, presumably one that wants his Toronto born boy in the NHL. He’s not an NHL player though, and with his skating he won’t ever be.

There is no incentive at all for the Oilers to trade a 20 year old prospect or a 2nd rounder for a 23 year old AHLer with skating issues, and one that was nowhere near Benson as a 20 year old.

Verhaeghe for Benson is like us offering Gambardella for Raddysh. After all, Gambardella is the better player today by far.

Reactions: Economist

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Pass. I like Benson, and a 2nd is too much to give up for a guy like Verhaeghe. If we’re taking a flyer on hoping a 24 year old AHLer can step up and make an immediate impact, I’m not sure I’d give up more than like a 4th. Just look at Vatrano. Better AHL numbers, and coming off 18 points in 44 games in the NHL. He returned a 3rd.

He didn’t ask for the trade...

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

I didn't ask for the trade. I don't want a career AHL'er for one of our highest potential prospects.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Pass. I like Benson, and a 2nd is too much to give up for a guy like Verhaeghe. If we’re taking a flyer on hoping a 24 year old AHLer can step up and make an immediate impact, I’m not sure I’d give up more than like a 4th. Just look at Vatrano. Better AHL numbers, and coming off 18 points in 44 games in the NHL. He returned a 3rd.

He didn’t ask for the trade...

Vatrano also proved he could contribute at the NHL level BEFORE he was traded, not after. 8 goals in 39 games at 21 and 10 in 44 at 22. Florida was making a calculated bet he could continue producing, not blindly flinging good assets at the wall and praying something would come of it.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
The reaction here to Benson is what I was expecting. That's why I was kind of surprised about OP's post. Didn't think he fell that far off a cliff.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Just not seeing much reason to do this. TB's okay with older prospects. They eventually get their chance.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Vatrano also proved he could contribute at the NHL level BEFORE he was traded, not after. 8 goals in 39 games at 21 and 10 in 44 at 22. Florida was making a calculated bet he could continue producing, not blindly flinging good assets at the wall and praying something would come of it.

Ya that’s my point. Verhaeghe has no track record in the NHL. Tampa isn’t going to get much in return for him until he does, and I don’t blame them in the slightest if they’d rather keep him instead of dealing him for a mid round pick.

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
The reaction here to Benson is what I was expecting. That's why I was kind of surprised about OP's post. Didn't think he fell that far off a cliff.

Far from it. He’s been very, very good for us.

He won’t be the top 3 pick caliber player he was once heralded as, but I can’t see a single reason (now that he’s fully healthy and his hip/pelvis issues are corrected) that he won’t be a top 9 winger in this league. He’s one of the smartest prospects in terms of hockey IQ I’ve ever seen.

I’ve been seriously struggling trying to come up with a comparable for him. Best I can come up with is a winger version of Paul Stastny. Great playmaker, smart, good size, good two way. None of his individual skills blow you away but put all together and you’ve got a really nice player.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Ya that’s my point. Verhaeghe has no track record in the NHL. Tampa isn’t going to get much in return for him until he does, and I don’t blame them in the slightest if they’d rather keep him instead of dealing him for a mid round pick.
I don't think it has ever even crossed the minds of the organization. Like Verhaeghe was a random pick up to add depth the Syracuse. While he is performing there, we never considered him being called up at all. That's why this whole proposal seemed strange. Never even thought of Verhaeghe as a trade asset at all.

Reactions: The Nuge

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Far from it. He’s been very, very good for us.

He won’t be the top 3 pick caliber player he was once heralded as, but I can’t see a single reason that he won’t be a top 9 winger in this league. He’s one of the smartest prospects in terms of hockey IQ I’ve ever seen.
High hockey IQ is pretty much the #1 criteria for the picks that Tampa make. Benson would fit in well with us, but I don't see a reason for Edmonton to trade him. Unless Keith Gretzky is a terrible interim GM?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00