GDT: Edmonton Softs vs Calgary Hards

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
Well guys... It's an improvement!? ;)

See you in the reg season and I hope we can tease each other a little without sour feelings!

All the best!

Reactions: Oilers in NS

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yamamoto had better have a couple extra gears than what he's shown in these games vs. the Flames rookies, otherwise he'll be lucky to see even some preseason games, never mind making the Oilers roster for opening night. He's been very underwhelming for someone who's supposed to some sort of offensive dynamo. Right now all he's showing me is a tiny kid with good anticipation who doesn't seem to know how to stay out of scrums where he gets consistently erased from the play.

I have to agree. He should have stood out in these games. He didnt at all.
Benson did though.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I think its a complete waste of time drawing conclusions from these games.
Its false. The precise reason they play these games is to help management draw conclusions.

When things go the team's way (like last night) everyone wants to 'draw conclusions', but when the team is getting throttled its a 'waste of time'. Truth is, every game is important or they wouldn't bother playing them at all.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Sucks to lose to Calgary even in an essentially meaningless rookie game.

That was an atrocious 3rd period after they worked so hard to battle back. Some guys definitely need to step in main camp.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I have to agree. He should have stood out in these games. He didnt at all.
Benson did though.

Right now, if you only had these rookie games to go off of, one would think that Benson was far more likely to make the Oilers roster this season than Yamamoto...which is probably why we need to see what these guys look in in real preseason games where the pace will be increased.

Because if Benson can keep up with the pace, I like what I see from him a LOT more than what I've seen from Yamamoto. The only thing that might save Kailer is that he's a RW where the Oilers have less depth.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Its false. The precise reason they play these games is to help management draw conclusions.

When things go the team's way (like last night) everyone wants to 'draw conclusions', but when the team is getting throttled its a 'waste of time'. Truth is, every game is important or they wouldn't bother playing them at all.
Yep. Invites hope to draw closer looks or contracts.

Prospects aim to have good camps so management gives them a higher starting place in the main camp. If you dog it all rookie camp no chance the org in good faith gives you a gravy shot.

If these games mattered for nothing they wouldn't play them.

One major conclusion you can draw is that there is an organizational issue with goaltending. Our pro goalies last season were bad. Our rookie goalies spending the camp with coaching staff looked bad. Draw your own conclusions from that

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

If they are drawing conclusions from these games then they are fools.
These games can help to gather information but they should never be used to draw conclusions.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
He's been very underwhelming for someone who's supposed to be some sort of offensive dynamo.
Underwhelming is probably fair. But I get the sense that he's just a half second away from making some plays. You can see him having the right thought and then just barely failing to execute. I felt the same way about his NHL stint last season. I believe that a hard working kid, which he must be to have come this far at his size, will close that gap up and the plays will start happening for him. The one thing he can't change is his size and its a big problem.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Yamamoto had better have a couple extra gears than what he's shown in these games vs. the Flames rookies, otherwise he'll be lucky to see even some preseason games, never mind making the Oilers roster for opening night. He's been very underwhelming for someone who's supposed to be some sort of offensive dynamo. Right now all he's showing me is a tiny kid with good anticipation who doesn't seem to know how to stay out of scrums where he gets consistently erased from the play.

Agreed, he should've been dominant and he was far from it. IIRC he started slowly last season as well and his play picked up in the preseason, hopefully history repeats itself and he really ups his game. As for Skinner, what a poor showing, outside of Rodrigue in the 2nd period, did any of our goalies have a good stretch in any of these 3 games?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Right now, if you only had these rookie games to go off of, one would think that Benson was far more likely to make the Oilers roster this season than Yamamoto...which is probably why we need to see what these guys look in in real preseason games where the pace will be increased.

Because if Benson can keep up with the pace, I like what I see from him a LOT more than what I've seen from Yamamoto. The only thing that might save Kailer is that he's a RW where the Oilers have less depth.

For sure. I view these games as early indications...there is much more to be seen though.

Early indications dont look good for Yamamoto and look very good for benson.

Now on to phase 2 of camp where the value of the games is a lot higher.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Agreed, he should've been dominant and he was far from it. IIRC he started slowly last season as well and his play picked up in the preseason, hopefully history repeats itself and he really ups his game. As for Skinner, what a poor showing, outside of Rodrigue in the 2nd period, did any of our goalies have a good stretch in any of these 3 games?
Wells didn't allow any goals the last game but don't think he had to face any real shots.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
That why he said it can help management draw conclusions.

As I mentioned to Digger...these games are so peliminary they are nothing more than ealry markers.

In terms of drawing conclusions...I would suggest that these games are maybe 10% of the overall equation. Maybe its just wording though.

The next phase of camp is far more important and far more revealing than these games.

From a fan perspective I am excited to see what Benson can do in the next phase. As for Yamamoto...he has to be much better than he was the past few games. Much better.
He better elevate his game or his stay will be short.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
Only caught the third but my thoughts
Missing Benson, Jones and Bouchard was big. Frankly Bear and Yamamoto need to be better. The two guys who have really played in the chel looked pedestrian. Frankly, goaltending lost the two games. Yes, Calgary came out in the third but, they still got a gift or two.

On a side note kinda annoyed how often the commentators brought up that Oilers rookies only played the NAIT/Macewan game yesterday and shouldn't be tired. Not really a huge reason why but having rest is still an advantage

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Only caught the third but my thoughts
Missing Benson, Jones and Bouchard was big. Frankly Bear and Yamamoto need to be better. The two guys who have really played in the chel looked pedestrian. Frankly, goaltending lost the two games. Yes, Calgary came out in the third but, they still got a gift or two.

On a side note kinda annoyed how often the commentators brought up that Oilers rookies only played the NAIT/Macewan game yesterday and shouldn't be tired. Not really a huge reason why but having rest is still an advantage

I disagree with this. The team played a grand total of 3 games and game number 2 was more like a practice.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Maybe so but still an extra game day routine they had to do.

In a 3 game preseason...its pretty meaningless.

If anything though it should have been an opportunity to have more cohesiveness considering the team was just thrown together last week. So from that perspective it should have been an advantage to play an extra game.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Disappointed in Yama and Bear. They both were busting thier butts and imo looked underwhelming against bad competition. Both in this game looked gassed and beat up with some slow exits off the ice as well.

A lot of "good" performances in this tournament, only one "great". Jones busted his butt and had results to show for it. Although Bouchard really supported him well defensively while Jones went Uber aggressive.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Disappointed in Yama and Bear. They both were busting thier butts and imo looked underwhelming against bad competition. Both in this game looked gassed and beat up with some slow exits off the ice as well.

A lot of "good" performances in this tournament, only one "great". Jones busted his butt and had results to show for it. Although Bouchard really supported him well defensively while Jones went Uber aggressive.
Jones and Bouchard seem to work well together.

Someone

Jul 11, 2007
Disappointing game for the two guys that should be pushing for the big club this year, but that might be part of the reason. Bear and Yamo will get a look no matter what so they might not be as hungry as others. Still, we should have seen a dominant performance and didn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad