OT: Edmonton Rush vs Toronto Rock NLL Championship

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
No ****, the NLL has never had a real TV contract. People don't plan to watch the games because they aren't readily available. You can't plan to watch a weekly game of NLL on TV of course it gets low ratings, each time it's on it's essentially a one off. If TSN starting playing highlights, regularly broadcasting, or in other words giving it the CFL treatment they could have something. It's pretty obvious the sport needs to grow but Lacrosse is a popular sport, tons play it, and it's an easy game to appreciate for hockey fans. There once was a time when the UFC was floundering to, it's amazing what a strong TV deal can do for a sport.

Indeed.
Just think back to the days when CBC covered the CFL. Many games were not covered at all until Labour Day and as a result the viewership was down and the overall perception of the League was quite low.

Not too difficult to figure out the correlation between coverage and overall League success.

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
that's why I blame the owner and not the city of the people who live here.
Urban would rather make fun of the oilers, or whine that the city doesn't give him money than make efforts to promote the team.

you can't tweet the mayor a couple of days before an event, and expect him to show. make a formal invitation.
you can't ask the city for support then turn your back because what's offered to you isn't cash.
you can't expect to work with the owner of the oilers when you mock the Oilers.
you can't whine that the citizens don't support the team while you're actively attempting to move them.

I agree with the mayor. congratulations to the PLAYERS.

Lashing out the way he did definitely made things more difficult on himself. It's a shame because some people probably wouldn't go to a game because of it.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Lashing out the way he did definitely made things more difficult on himself. It's a shame because some people probably wouldn't go to a game because of it.

just using the one example of complaining he wasn't yet offered a chance to play in the new arena. if that's your goal, why are you mocking the oilers, then?
all he needed to do was use common sense.

I don't go to the games because I don't enjoy the sport. I can respect that people do like it. but the way the owner acts makes me not care if he does manage to move the team.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I'm a hockey fan and I dislike Lacrosse.

You're also one guy, one guy that i wouldn't exactly call a conventional thinker either.lol. No shame in that i respect that you have a perspective that's you're own. The reality is there won't be a 100% retention rate and there doesn't have to be, Lacrosse isn't going to become a major sport any time soon but it could be another solid option. I've taked to enough guys on hockey teams i've been on about the Rush and we all agree that we'd watch it but we never think about it, if it was on TSN guys would be thinking about it a lot more often. Not all Boxing fans like the UFC but i can tell you without question it wasn't just the creation of new fans following Spike TV's Ultimate Fighter but the conversion of boxing fans that allowed the UFC to become a well known entity in sports.

I love soccer which is a related coaching/flow game complete with D strategy, counter, fast strike etc. I actually find more similarity with hockey/soccer.

Soccer's too slow for me and the lack of competitive one on one battles makes it far less like hockey than Lacrosse imo. Lacrosse is without question the most similar game to hockey, box lacrosse's roots are strongly attached to hockey. Both are played with sticks, same amount of players, same size rink, checking, ect... Soccer doesn't have the battles that define Lacrosse and Hockey.

Lacrosse has similar origins to hockey but the game isn't really that similar in flow and concept. Much easier in Lacrosse for instance to control the ball and in that sense the flow more resembles Basketball wherein both sports have a shot clock because otherwise a club could have the ball indefinitely.

I agree the flow of the game is similar to basketball with the half court split, shot clock, picks and whatnot but that's not a bad thing. I don't mind basketball, i doubt most of the guys who watch hockey do either. Lacrosse is still more like hockey but it's not like basketball isn't a popular sport to watch.

I don't like the flow of either basketball or Lacrosse either playing or watching. Lacrosse might actually be more marketable to Basketball fans than Hockey fans.

C'mon do you know how many guys end up playing both sports? Hockey and Lacrosse have too many grassroot ties for there not to be a marketability there.

Lacrosse only has a specific market following for the most part. Not a huge following or national following.

TSN is in the business of televising sports and is always looking for product. Obviously they've done their research and don't show many games.

The market is small because of the exposure, certainly you must realize if it was given greater exposure it would have a more robust fanbase.

TSN hasn't shown Lacrosse because they've had hockey. Also it's only been recently that the sport has grown to the point it has, the past 10 years have made the NLL more relevant than it had been. There's momentum there and i think it's a solid fallback for TSN, the league has established Canadian teams and Lacrosse is somewhat popular at a collegiate level in the States.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Go to Winners. Sorry, excuse pun, but seriously. Actually seen their gear resale at Winners outlets in offseason.

Value Village as well but second hand with that.

True, I also bought an Eskimos shirt and hat there a couple months ago.

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015
Lacrosse is a fantastic sport especially to watch it live. My son plays in the NLL and it has been a real treat to see him progress from tykes to that level. There are some incredible athletes in that league and the crowds although smaller are generally very enthusiastic.:yo:

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Lacrosse is a fantastic sport especially to watch it live. My son plays in the NLL and it has been a real treat to see him progress from tykes to that level. There are some incredible athletes in that league and the crowds although smaller are generally very enthusiastic.:yo:

Congrats!

May I ask who your son is?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad