OT: Edmonton Rush vs Toronto Rock NLL Championship

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
Matthews was a game breaker tonight.

Put the city of champs sign back up. Lol.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
What a terrific game, from what i saw on TV the attendance looked like it was solid as well. With TSN losing the NHL they'd be smart IMO to televise the NLL season, or at least the Canadian teams, they could do for Lacrosse what they did for the CFL. I think given how similar Lacrosse is to hockey it would be an easy sell for them.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
All the outside stuff aside, I'm really happy that the Rush won. It's been an exceedingly rough road for them the last 10 years. Huge congrats guys!

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Yeah, it's fashionable to hate a mayor. Try looking at his side.

Congrats, Rush. I was following the game on Twitter. I'm excited for another championship. The Oilers have sucked buy the last two seasons have been great for other Edmonton teams I care about, OKs, Bears, Rush, Esks.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
He's been doing damage control ever since Urban rightfully called his sleazy ass out.

lol at you. you want sleezy, it's the owner not the mayor.

maybe he should spend more time properly marketing his team instead of taking cheap shots at people and spending the last couple of years trying to move the team out of Edmonton.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
He's been doing damage control ever since Urban rightfully called his sleazy ass out.

Knock it off. This stuff is ridiculous and even I refuse to defend your posting anymore.

This is an Edmonton related board and maybe stop with the Civic nonsense, knocking the mayor and city for no reason in this.

Your issue is that Lacrosse may not be back. Your issue should not be with Iveson, or the City of Edmonton or Edmontonians.

52K of whom are going to the Womens WC opener game today. An amount that is incredible and indicates how fervently Edmontonians rally around products that they like.

Congrats to the Rush but Lacrosse is not a big market here. Just the way it is.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
What a terrific game, from what i saw on TV the attendance looked like it was solid as well. With TSN losing the NHL they'd be smart IMO to televise the NLL season, or at least the Canadian teams, they could do for Lacrosse what they did for the CFL. I think given how similar Lacrosse is to hockey it would be an easy sell for them.

Ratings for CFL creep into the Millions. Ratings for Lacrosse games don't even get into the weekly top sports listings. Ratings for Lacrosse are not very high thus not very many games televised.

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
Knock it off. This stuff is ridiculous and even I refuse to defend your posting anymore.

This is an Edmonton related board and maybe stop with the Civic nonsense, knocking the mayor and city for no reason in this.

Your issue is that Lacrosse may not be back. Your issue should not be with Iveson, or the City of Edmonton or Edmontonians.

52K of whom are going to the Womens WC opener game today. An amount that is incredible and indicates how fervently Edmontonians rally around products that they like.

Congrats to the Rush but Lacrosse is not a big market here. Just the way it is.

Well said.

There definitely are Rush/Lacrosse fans in the area but your right it isn't a draw like some of the other sports in the city. Hopefully that changes with some exposure to the games played on television and word of mouth.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Great job by the Rush!! and Mathews was an absolute monster. That late goal, when they couldn't seem to be able to solve the Rock Goalie, OMG!!!

I'd go out an buy a Rush hat today, as I always do that when an Edmonton team wins a championship (just one of my things), but, alas, I can't because you can only get Rush gear at Rexall Place, during games.

I'll be disappointed if they leave town, but, the Owner's attitude doesn't help. The marketing is weak to say the least, and the sport is relatively new to Alberta.

Lacrosse needs time to take root. A more extreme example is say, Cricket; there's a sport that would need decades to have mass appeal here. Culturally, we just don't know the game.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Ratings for CFL creep into the Millions. Ratings for Lacrosse games don't even get into the weekly top sports listings. Ratings for Lacrosse are not very high thus not very many games televised.

No ****, the NLL has never had a real TV contract. People don't plan to watch the games because they aren't readily available. You can't plan to watch a weekly game of NLL on TV of course it gets low ratings, each time it's on it's essentially a one off. If TSN starting playing highlights, regularly broadcasting, or in other words giving it the CFL treatment they could have something. It's pretty obvious the sport needs to grow but Lacrosse is a popular sport, tons play it, and it's an easy game to appreciate for hockey fans. There once was a time when the UFC was floundering to, it's amazing what a strong TV deal can do for a sport.

McHilman

Nov 28, 2007
Edmonton
Great job by the Rush!! and Mathews was an absolute monster. That late goal, when they couldn't seem to be able to solve the Rock Goalie, OMG!!!

I'd go out an buy a Rush hat today, as I always do that when an Edmonton team wins a championship (just one of my things), but, alas, I can't because you can only get Rush gear at Rexall Place, during games.

I'll be disappointed if they leave town, but, the Owner's attitude doesn't help. The marketing is weak to say the least, and the sport is relatively new to Alberta.

Lacrosse needs time to take root. A more extreme example is say, Cricket; there's a sport that would need decades to have mass appeal here. Culturally, we just don't know the game.

shop.neweracap.com/Mens/Team_Edmonton-Rush

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
No ****, the NLL has never had a real TV contract. People don't plan to watch the games because they aren't readily available. You can't plan to watch a weekly game of NLL on TV of course it gets low ratings, each time it's on it's essentially a one off. If TSN starting playing highlights, regularly broadcasting, or in other words giving it the CFL treatment they could have something. It's pretty obvious the sport needs to grow but Lacrosse is a popular sport, tons play it, and it's an easy game to appreciate for hockey fans. There once was a time when the UFC was floundering to, it's amazing what a strong TV deal can do for a sport.

I'm a hockey fan and I dislike Lacrosse. I love soccer which is a related coaching/flow game complete with D strategy, counter, fast strike etc. I actually find more similarity with hockey/soccer. Lacrosse has similar origins to hockey but the game isn't really that similar in flow and concept. Much easier in Lacrosse for instance to control the ball and in that sense the flow more resembles Basketball wherein both sports have a shot clock because otherwise a club could have the ball indefinitely.

I don't like the flow of either basketball or Lacrosse either playing or watching. Lacrosse might actually be more marketable to Basketball fans than Hockey fans.

Lacrosse only has a specific market following for the most part. Not a huge following or national following.

TSN is in the business of televising sports and is always looking for product. Obviously they've done their research and don't show many games.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Go to Winners. Sorry, excuse pun, but seriously. Actually seen their gear resale at Winners outlets in offseason.

Value Village as well but second hand with that.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton

that's why I blame the owner and not the city of the people who live here.
Urban would rather make fun of the oilers, or whine that the city doesn't give him money than make efforts to promote the team.

you can't tweet the mayor a couple of days before an event, and expect him to show. make a formal invitation.
you can't ask the city for support then turn your back because what's offered to you isn't cash.
you can't expect to work with the owner of the oilers when you mock the Oilers.
you can't whine that the citizens don't support the team while you're actively attempting to move them.

I agree with the mayor. congratulations to the PLAYERS.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad