Edmonton Oilers Top 20 prospects headlined by Connor McDavid

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
connor_mcdavid_edmonton_070615.jpg
Photo: Connor McDavid is the consensus top prospect in hockey but the burden of changing the Oilers’ fortunes is not his alone (courtesy of Andy Devlin/NHLI via Getty Images)

</p> As the Edmonton Oilers begin the club’s most highly-anticipated season in recent memory, Hockey’s Future has a few new names to introduce in this year’s preliminary Top 20. Without needing any preamble, the most notable is Connor McDavid, who has managed to drum up world-wide attention. His addition to the club helped sell out the annual preseason rookie tournament in Penticton, British Columbia featuring the Oilers, Vancouver Canucks, Winnipeg Jets and Calgary Flames.… read more

The post Edmonton Oilers Top 20 prospects headlined by Connor McDavid appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I like Khaira a lot but it is hard to see him ahead of either Yakimov or Slepyshev. I'd put both ahead of Pitlick as well even though there is a very good chance Pitlick plays most of the year on the big club's roster.

I also think that Davidson should be higher up or this list as should Laleggia. Simpson is too high.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Khaira is easily the most overrated Oilers prospect. I'd be surprised if he ever makes the Oilers roster full time, very surprised.

Laleggia should be way higher than 16. There's no way that Simpson should be 9 spots ahead of him. Laleggia was a better college player.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Yeah, I'm not holding my breath on Gernat either.

As for Simpson, slepyshev and yakimov should be ahead of him on this list, but he is their best D prospect after Reinhart and Nurse.

I expect big things from him this year.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
I have never been a big Khaira fan. Yakimov imho is a better prospect, in fact I would put Bogdan right behind Reinhart.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Khaira had a rough AHL season, but too soon to write him off. I agree tho, Yakimov is ahead

Yakimov, Slepyshev, Chase, Platzer, Laleggia, Simpson, Davidson, Jones are all guys I feel have NHL futures. Those guys are my top 10-14

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
McDavid

Nurse
Draisaitl

Reinhart

Yakimov
Slepyslev
Brossoit

Platzer
Laleggia
Jones

Those are my top 10, in their own tiers (can be ranked in any order with tiers)

Lagesson didn't make their list, but I have a feeling he's better than 5 or 6 guys on it.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Initial reaction

Musil shouldn't be on the list anymore and the guy listed behind him are in front of him

Chase is too high

Kaira is about ten spots too high

and of course my two Russians should be higher

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
They did better this time than they usually do in the past... I think Yakimov should be ranked a little higher, but that could just be my bias.

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
Khaira rated as a 7 means he has second line potential and I really think that's a reach. If he makes it, he'll be bottom six.

As for the rankings, the top 5 I think most would agree on. Beyond that it's a lot harder to rank.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I have Khaira at #5. Nice to see someone else super high on him.

People are usually split on him. The people that like him have seen him play and the people that don't like him look at his stats.

I'm not saying he's a guarantee but I absolutely love his game I think he'll eventually be a poor mans David Backes. I can't see him above the third line but I think he can be a dominant bottom six player that we need to win.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Initial reaction

Musil shouldn't be on the list anymore and the guy listed behind him are in front of him

Chase is too high

Kaira is about ten spots too high

and of course my two Russians should be higher
Why shouldn't Musil be on the list? I don't see a tonne of potential in his game, but he had a good year last year in the AHL did he not? And the handful of games he got in the NHL weren't terrible.

McGlassbangers

Jul 13, 2009
McFinland
1. McDavid
2. Nurse
3. Draisaitl
4. Reinhart
5. Brossoit
6. Yakimov
7. Slepyshev
8. Chase
9. LaLeggia
10. Platzer
11. Jones
12. Khaira
13. Pitlick
14. Musil
15. Pakarinen
16. Davidson
17. Simpson
18. Bear
19. Moroz
20. Paigin

HM: Oesterle, Lagesson

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
McDavid

Nurse
Draisaitl

Reinhart

Yakimov
Slepyslev
Brossoit

Platzer
Laleggia
Jones

Those are my top 10, in their own tiers (can be ranked in any order with tiers)

Lagesson didn't make their list, but I have a feeling he's better than 5 or 6 guys on it.

Good list.

Seems I am alone in wanting to put Slepyshev ahead of Yakupov, but they are in the same tier.

I'd also put in Lagesson with the Plazer group, but that may be wish ful thinking as he is a Frolunda boy. I think his relatively weak season will be forgotten this season.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Good list.

Seems I am alone in wanting to put Slepyshev ahead of Yakupov, but they are in the same tier.

I'd also put in Lagesson with the Plazer group, but that may be wish ful thinking as he is a Frolunda boy. I think his relatively weak season will be forgotten this season.

Can't Edit post for some reason. I obviously meant Yakimov, not Yakupov. My autocorrect at work there.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
2 Qs.

1. what time is puck drop?

2. is it being streamed?

apologies if asked and answered earlier. no time to peruse.

edit. my apologies. clicked wrong thread,

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I have Khaira at #5. Nice to see someone else super high on him.

People are usually split on him. The people that like him have seen him play and the people that don't like him look at his stats.

I'm not saying he's a guarantee but I absolutely love his game I think he'll eventually be a poor mans David Backes. I can't see him above the third line but I think he can be a dominant bottom six player that we need to win.

I like Khaira and have followed him since he was at Michigan Tech where he, Petan and Pietila made for a very good line. I think he has definite pro potential. But that does not change my feeling that he should be behind Yakimov and Slepyshev.

Oct 15, 2008
Khaira had a rough AHL season, but too soon to write him off. I agree tho, Yakimov is ahead

Yakimov, Slepyshev, Chase, Platzer, Laleggia, Simpson, Davidson, Jones are all guys I feel have NHL futures. Those guys are my top 10-14

On the contrary he should have been written off a long time ago.

slim2001

Aug 2, 2008
Alberta
Weak... not a single B potential used. Guy's like Pitlick, Pak and Davidson played in the NHL last year and are not going to drop significantly down the depth chart, could have put them and maybe one or two more as B potentials. Way too many 6.5C ratings guys like Miller and Osterele are not equivalent to Yak2 and Slepy.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00