Edmonton Oilers (P2) vs LA Kings (P3) | Part II | EDM Lead 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Good series so far. Important for the Oilers to get that win after losing another 2-0 lead, needed to show they can also draw from the resilience well when they need to. Still like us at 5on5, but hoping McDavid can adapt his game a little and Skinner can get some of his end of season mojo back. Not touching his pipe on the 2nd goal was almost very costly.

Obligatory gif for the Kostin GWG

51f4b8_aef7bbd843f0451ab248855893fb1e25~mv2.gif

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
McDavid has to be injured. He's just off.

Bad goaltending for the Oilers so far, 2 blown leads, a MIA McDavid and 3 mins of PP time compared to the Kings' 16 mins...

Weird series as the Oilers have dominated at 5v5 and these two games have really flattered the Kings.

Last edited:

TennisBalls

Jan 14, 2013
Manhattan
It’s so easy for us Oiler fans to get a little delusional in the potential and expectations of our team when we watch Connor and Drai do the things they do on a nightly basis and the way the team started rolling at the end of the year. I have been very impressed with how the Kings have played a fairly complete game so far. They’re significantly deeper than I was initially expecting. This series is already a lot more even than I had hoped for. Very stressful game today. This series should be awesome.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
10-4 in PPs after the Oil dominate two games. Complete joke.
Because they are playing way more physical and playing way less disciplined.

They are willing to sacrifice some PP’s to set the tone physically against the smaller and softer Kings but they are also taking senseless stupid penalties like getting your stick wedged in a players skate, slashing a player right in front of the ref and batting the puck into the seats from the defensive zone. Those are all going to be called everytime.

Canuck16

that's curtains!
Apr 11, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I love this classic Smythe division battle. Best of 5 now.
I am not sure why people are criticizing McDavid's play. Some are even saying he looks injured?!! Gimme a break. Crazy talk, he is still flying out there like usual and still creating chances. This is the playoffs, no more Anaheim's or Arizona's. Like Tony Montana once said, "that's no duck walk anymore , let me tell you."
McDavid on line 1 will face the tough defensive matchup. Also he is facing a dedicated shutdown guy in Danault. Drai gets the luxury of line 2 matchups.

As a fan, and side note/rant. I am slightly concerned about the ice conditions at Staples Center aka Crypto.com arena. The Lakers and Clippers are both in the playoffs and share this arena. I know statistically it is one of the busiest facilities in North America plus located in a warmer climate which can't be good for ice conditions.

It is safe to say, score early and do not trail going into the 3rd in LA. I'm assuming those 3rd period ice conditions could get nasty and won't allow for clutch comebacks. Having said that, maybe there will be more flukes and costly mistakes... Off to LA LA Land, Game 3!

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
I love this classic Smythe division battle. Best of 5 now.
I am not sure why people are criticizing McDavid's play. Some are even saying he looks injured?!! Gimme a break. Crazy talk, he is still flying out there like usual and still creating chances. This is the playoffs, no more Anaheim's or Arizona's. Like Tony Montana once said, "that's no duck walk anymore , let me tell you."
McDavid on line 1 will face the tough defensive matchup. Also he is facing a dedicated shutdown guy in Danault. Drai gets the luxury of line 2 matchups.

As a fan, and side note/rant. I am slightly concerned about the ice conditions at Staples Center aka Crypto.com arena. The Lakers and Clippers are both in the playoffs and share this arena. I know statistically it is one of the busiest facilities in North America plus located in a warmer climate which can't be good for ice conditions.

It is safe to say, score early and do not trail going into the 3rd in LA. I'm assuming those 3rd period ice conditions could get nasty and won't allow for clutch comebacks. Having said that, maybe there will be more flukes and costly mistakes... Off to LA LA Land, Game 3!
Scoring wise McD was kinda slow down the stretch, so who knows he might be dinged.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I expected a blowout, so LA making it a close game and losing by only one goal (minus the empty netter) was a pleasant surprise, and going back home 1-1 is a good situation to be in, but the way that they're playing isn't good enough. The slow starts, going down by two goals and Durzi being Durzi (which happens more when behind) are not a recipe for success. They need to be the ones who jump out to a lead (which they haven't had yet) and then let their 1-3-1 help to defend it. Maybe the home crowd will help. It'd better, because I don't expect McLellan to do anything differently.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Yea, expecting the ice to be terrible for LA games unfortunately. Or fortunately, idk. No team in the league benefits more from a puck bouncing on a defenseman at the blue line than Edmonton.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
The real most underrated player in the league is Adrian Kempe. Dude scares me more than 99% of the league when the puck is on his stick in the offensive zone.

Some players are among the best to ever play when they're given time/space, otherwise they're just lost in the crowd. Kempe is one of those players. Another example I can think of is Alexander Semin, make a mistake letting him do what he wants and he puts it in the net better than Ovechkin.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
The real most underrated player in the league is Adrian Kempe. Dude scares me more than 99% of the league when the puck is on his stick in the offensive zone.
Agreed.

Guy is dangerous, and basically never gets talked about

Pucklington

Expat in Germany.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
Korpisalo has been very good for LA, and kept them in. He's definitely a major part of it being 1-1 vs. down 2-0.

LA playing disciplined and smart. There are ways to take liberties without it being too overt and they are smart at it.

Hoping Edmonton can take lessons from them and win series, because teams like LA knock you out or are .ajor reasons your team ends up as Champions.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
10-4 in PPs after the Oil dominate two games. Complete joke.
To play Devils advocate, we often scream about bad penalties being called to even up the number of powerplays. Good on LA for playing tight, disciplined hockey. Edmonton needs to keep with the physical play but get those sticks under control.

He is absolutely an Oiler killer. His goal totals reflect that it isn't just us though.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Because they are playing way more physical and playing way less disciplined.

They are willing to sacrifice some PP’s to set the tone physically against the smaller and softer Kings but they are also taking senseless stupid penalties like getting your stick wedged in a players skate, slashing a player right in front of the ref and batting the puck into the seats from the defensive zone. Those are all going to be called everytime.
Partially I agree. The Oilers have lacked some discipline, but not to the extent of being called for 2.5x more infractions. The penalty differential, at least to some degree, is reflective of game management which has been happening in this league for years. The Oilers have led for almost 120 minutes in the series and thats just kind of how this league works.

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018
McDavid has to be injured. He's just off.

Bad goaltending for the Oilers so far, 2 blown leads, a MIA McDavid and 3 mins of PP time compared to the Kings 16 mins...

Weird series as the Oilers have dominated at 5v5 and these two games have really flattered the Kings.
Philip Danault. He is playing vs McDavid spectacularly. Almost expected this

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
Philip Danault. He is playing vs McDavid spectacularly. Almost expected this
He is out scoring McDaving, while almost exclusively playing against him.

I can’t expect it to continue all series, but he has had a pretty nails performance so far.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
I respect the Kings, but I just hate the way they play the game. It's boring as hell.
I hear you as a fan, but I will say this series is displaying that game plan to its extreme because of McJesus and Draisatl. We’re a much higher tempo, north-south bunch against teams who don’t have two top 5 players. Our whole strategy is volume chances off the rush, so we kind of have to be (though the biggest offensive improvement from last year to this one is chances generated off the cycle).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad