Proposal: Edmonton - NYR

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Not sure what you mean here, because in terms of player exchange Zibby is 3 years older then Drai, so NYR actually get younger here.

Also Laf will be LUCKY to be as good a player as Drai. And the HF favorite saying comes into play as well “elite wingers aren’t worth anything close to elite centres”. Laf could be elite, he could not be too.

Even bigger still- Drai is signed long term to 8.5 mil cap hit. Zibbys contract has 2 more years, at which point he’ll be 29 years old, and UFA. He will most definitely be seeking a long term contract bringing him to 36.. and having been underpaid for 3 years straight, he’s gonna be looking to get PAID. He will sign for at LEAST 8.5 a year (higher than Zibs even) but he will for most of that contract be on his career downswing. So yeah, not only is Drai far more likely to be the better player overall, but he’s actually going to have a better caphit in 2 yrs too.

This is a great deal for NYR. Like dude above said- if you took out Edmonton’s 1st they’d still say no. Drai is a top 5 player on an incredible long term contract.[/QUOTE]

No ? Drai top 5, etc

Pt was Rangers surrender age on LaF comp to Drai, but I see yr pt.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
It’s definitely an interesting idea and possibly bang on value-wise (I’m a big fan of Laf’s potential, so I’ll say the Rangers are giving up more). With that said, it’s completely understandable why both teams would decline.

As an Oil fan I would say no, and I think a previous post from broc summed it up perfectly - you’d be in trouble trying to re-sign Zibby 2 years from now. I don’t think it’s crazy to suggest he commands 10+ per if he puts up a season like he did this year, and it would be a retirement contract (taking him to 37). Drai having 5 more years @ 8.5 per is a big deal. The (expected) Hart Trophy winner, in his prime, on a bargain contract for 5 more years? You don’t trade that player.

I guess the biggest unknown is who is there at 14? If one of Quinn, Jarvis or Askarov are still there, you’re getting an impact player. When you consider contracts, I think I’d rather have Drai + one of them than Zib + Laf. Interesting debate.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Good idea. I wouldn’t take it because I’d rather solve the center problems by re-signing Zibanejad and having Chytil develop than trading away Lafreniere for a center with more team control.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
damn now this is a proposal. I can understand why rangers fans say no but Drai would absolutely run the Rangers

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
The only superstar in this deal is Draisaitl. This is an easy no. People who are saying both teams say no are crazy. Trading Drai for a player that scored 21 less goals and 66 less points and a magic bean is crazy, let alone giving the 14th pick as well.
I agree they shouldn't do it. But Zibanejad scored 3 less goals in 14 less games, so I am not sure where you are getting your numbers, He also had 35 less points, but again 14 less games. I guess you're counting the last 2 seasons, but why (and if that were the case it would be 22 less goals).

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
I agree they shouldn't do it. But Zibanejad scored 3 less goals in 14 less games, so I am not sure where you are getting your numbers, He also had 35 less points, but again 14 less games. I guess you're counting the last 2 seasons, but why (and if that were the case it would be 22 less goals).
Sorry my bad it was over the last 2 seasons, and both players had career years both seasons. There is a visible step down regardless of how much you like Zibanejad. The risk of a player not turning out, even a 1st overall is very real and makes this to risky.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Neither team will do this and for good reasons, but this is one of the better blockbuster proposals I’ve seen on here where it’s to at least be considered.

Vinny

Aug 10, 2011
London
No, difference between Zibanejad and Draisaitel As said above is not Lafreniere. Drop the 1st from the Rangers and add de Angelo or Buchnevic.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Question for Oilers fans, who do you think is worth more, McDavid or Draisaitl? All things considered.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Is the difference of Zibanejad and Draisaitl really 1OA?

Just me, but I think you forgot the 13th overall pick in your assessment.

I don't do it. I've had enough 1st OA. Even McD and Drai are still learning how to win... we need maturity, not youth.

Reactions: spaghtti

FireGorton

Laf to Kak
Aug 6, 2020
Draisaitl, 1st 2020 for Zib, 1st OA 2020

Edmonton will become a little bit more balanced offensively. Rangers will get another superstar on a great contract and potentially save money.
Hahahahaha oh wait your serious let me laugh even harder

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
It's a fairly even deal, but Zibanejad only has 2 years remaining until UFA...

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
so Drai for Zib and Laf is a hard no? Wow!

yes, it’s a hard no. And an incredibly easy one. But go ahead, try convincing fans of a team that took Yakupov and Puljujarvi in the top 5 that downgrading on an Art Ross winner for two seasons of Zibanejad before he’s UFA for the sake of a damn draft pick a good idea, we’ll wait.

Reactions: spaghtti and 780il

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
McDavid.

For the same reasons I think Crosby will always be more valuable than Malkin.

No, I'm not comparing Drai to Malkin.

Just checking... I personally value Draisaitl more (if I were an Oilers fan) than McDavid based on the fact that he can do it all. Used on PP, PK, and great 5v5. Also is arguably the best contract in the league.

I see no problem comparing Crosby/Malkin to McDavid/Draisaitl, the Oilers' duo are the next two best players just like Malkin and Crosby were a decade ago.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
No, difference between Zibanejad and Draisaitel As said above is not Lafreniere. Drop the 1st from the Rangers and add de Angelo or Buchnevic.

Zero interest in either. Five years of Leon is worth much more to us than two years of Zib. Oiler fans say no even if it is Lafreniere, they’re gonna say no a lot more impolitely with that revision.
Add whatever you want to Zib tho, it’s never a yes from Edm.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
From a pure value standpoint, it's probably fair but I don't think people realize how truly special Draisaitl is. If I'm not getting back a young Norris caliber Dman back like Jones then I'm not dealing Draisaitl for anything.

Also, keep in mind that Zibanejad is due for a huge raise in 2 years if he has a few more seasons like this one compared to Drai being locked up for another 5 for relative pennies so that spreads out the value between the two further.

Reactions: spaghtti

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Just checking... I personally value Draisaitl more (if I were an Oilers fan) than McDavid based on the fact that he can do it all. Used on PP, PK, and great 5v5. Also is arguably the best contract in the league.

I see no problem comparing Crosby/Malkin to McDavid/Draisaitl, the Oilers' duo are the next two best players just like Malkin and Crosby were a decade ago.
I certainly don't disagree with your line of thought. I just look at McDavid and Cro as the faces of the league and equate that to being more valuable.

If the Oilers lost Drai people would get over it. If they lost McDavid they'd riot.

Edit: I'd only be comfortable comparing Drai to Malkin if Drai can do what he has been doing for a good number of years. I think he will but only time will tell.

Reactions: Czarchuk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad