Proposal: Edmonton - NYR

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Drai in NYC would probably become as big as Hank was back in the day. Personally I would do it if I were the Rangers but I could understand them not wanting to do it. They won the lotto with the Zib trade and it’s pretty exciting to draft a 1st overall talent.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
any other variable aside, NY can't surrender LaF's elc which is huge on cap.
Also while still 20 something, NY would be taking on extra age w/Leo Drai.

no.

Reactions: slg1963

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Would a team rather have Laf and Zib, or Draisaitl. Interesting, but I think both teams say no for different reasons.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
No way. Laf is probably gonna be great but you never know with the Oilers... A top 3 player in the league isn’t being traded for a downgrade + an unknown. And sure as hell not with our first included.

broc

Dec 20, 2010
any other variable aside, NY can't surrender LaF's elc which is huge on cap.
Also while still 20 something, NY would be taking on extra age w/Leo Drai.

no.

Not sure what you mean here, because in terms of player exchange Zibby is 3 years older then Drai, so NYR actually get younger here.

Also Laf will be LUCKY to be as good a player as Drai. And the HF favorite saying comes into play as well “elite wingers aren’t worth anything close to elite centres”. Laf could be elite, he could not be too.

Even bigger still- Drai is signed long term to 8.5 mil cap hit. Zibbys contract has 2 more years, at which point he’ll be 29 years old, and UFA. He will most definitely be seeking a long term contract bringing him to 36.. and having been underpaid for 3 years straight, he’s gonna be looking to get PAID. He will sign for at LEAST 8.5 a year (higher than Zibs even) but he will for most of that contract be on his career downswing. So yeah, not only is Drai far more likely to be the better player overall, but he’s actually going to have a better caphit in 2 yrs too.

This is a great deal for NYR. Like dude above said- if you took out Edmonton’s 1st they’d still say no. Drai is a top 5 player on an incredible long term contract.

Reactions: Roof Daddy

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
As an Oiler fan... no.. reason is I don’t want another 1OA that people will say look Oilers get another 1OA... totally ignoring the fact we were not “gifted” this 1OA.

Personally, I don’t think Lafreniere is a 1OA type pick that you give up a player like Draisaitl for. I know Zibanejad is included and he is a good player in his own right. But let’s not ignore the fact he just had a career year and is only signed for 2 more years. If he continues to produce at over a point per game then you have a 30 year old player looking to sign a contract for more than Drai. If he drops back to a 65 point center, then you lose this trade. ... and there is no guarantee that he would resign with the Oil. We are not like a city like New York who has a much easier time attracting free agents or re-signing their players.

Last edited:

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
"Take Edmonton’s 1st out and they still don’t do it"

Lol. You're outta of your mind if you don't think Edmonton would do that. Sorry but two stars are worth more than one star any day of the week. Rangers would never do that. So you get a slight upgrade at center and potentially give up a superstar wing who is 18. I don't think so.

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
"Take Edmonton’s 1st out and they still don’t do it"

Lol. You're outta of your mind if you don't think Edmonton would do that. Sorry but two stars are worth more than one star any day of the week. Rangers would never do that. So you get a slight upgrade at center and potentially give up a superstar wing who is 18. I don't think so.

The only superstar in this deal is Draisaitl. This is an easy no. People who are saying both teams say no are crazy. Trading Drai for a player that scored 21 less goals and 66 less points and a magic bean is crazy, let alone giving the 14th pick as well.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
The only superstar in this deal is Draisaitl. This is an easy no. People who are saying both teams say no are crazy, NYR would be tripping over themselves to fax the papers in. Drai for a player that scored 21 less goals and 66 less points in the last 2 seasons and a magic bean is a terrible move, let alone giving the 14th pick as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad