Proposal: Edmonton - Montreal

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
I keep my overpaid 1.5M$ / 4 years for leadership. Still easier to deal a forward garbage than a goalie garbage
I agree a forward is easier to manage. You can just let him be 13th forward.
But would Gally accept this?
He's a proud guy and still thinks he can play. He's gonna want to prove people wrong.
It's not gonna end well, i'm afraid.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Oilers need cap space this season and the Habs have plenty of it, so here's the solution i see.

I've pitched this idea elsewhere before but no one has reacted on it yet.
Maybe it's a little too outside the box.

To Montreal: Jack Campbell
To Edmonton: Future considerations (Brendan Gallagher, after the season)

The Oilers are going for it this season. They clear 3.85M of cap space now to help them make the moves they want, without giving up assets.
If they intended to buy out Campbell this summer, buying out Gallagher instead will cost an additionnal 2.5M of cap space, spread over 6 years.
Buying out Gallagher will actually give them 333K of cap space next year, making it a net gain of 1.433M over buying out Campbell. I'm sure they'll want to go for it again.
The big hit will come in the 2026-27 season, but the cap will probably have gone up by over 10M by then.
If they decide to keep him, they add up to 1.875M cap hit per year vs Campbell in the AHL.

The Habs save 1.5M of cap space for the next 3 seasons. Actually 2.65M with Campbell in the AHL.
They only get rid part of Gallagher's cap hit but they open up a forward roster spot and they don't let some of the cap space they have this year go to waste.
They can always buy out Campbell later if needed. It's gonna be less costly than buying out Gallagher and less complicated given his history and status with the team.

The deal can always be expanded to include players and picks.

The only potential problems i see are:
Gallagher has a 6 team No Trade List, but he comes from EDM, so i can't imagine they're on it.
Real money is higher than cap hit for EDM. Owners might not like that.
Kent Hugues might look bad for the time between the 2 transactions occur.

Seems like a win-win to me.
Is Campbell buyout cheaper?

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Unfortunately it is likely buyout city for Campbell. Hopefully no fool in Oilers management bring him into camp next season for another chance.

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
Is Campbell buyout cheaper?
Yes, by 2.5M total for the 6 years.
Not a huge gap but the big difference vs Gallagher is that Campbell can be sent to the AHL. MTL will probably have enough cap space next year to fit him in Laval and they would save 2.65M vs Gallagher in MTL. And thus reducing the buyout period by 2 years for every year he spends in Laval.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Not a huge gap but the big difference vs Gallagher is that Campbell can be sent to the AHL. MTL will probably have enough cap space next year to fit him in Laval and they would save 2.65M vs Gallagher in MTL. And thus reducing the buyout period by 2 years for every year he spends in Laval.
Gallagher while overpaid is a useful hockey player (3rd line). Campbell is a complete useless goalie. He's deadcap.

Habs are not offsetting a useful player with a completely useless goaltender.

Not happening.

Ever.

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
Gallagher while overpaid is a useful hockey player (3rd line). Campbell is a complete useless goalie. He's deadcap.

Habs are not offsetting a useful player with a completely useless goaltender.

Not happening.

Ever.
Are you watching the games?

They are both useless.

Gallagher has become a burden. He can't keep up the pace anymore and he's playing frustrated.. He's taking costly penalties almost every game now because of that.
Marty is really annoyed with him. You can see it in its face after every stupid penalty Gally is taking.

He's done.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
Two terrible contracts, however, I'd keep Gallagher because:

1- Less term the better
2- Gallagher has been here his whole career, might as well let him finish it here
Same term for the 2 players.
The way he's playing, they won't be able to keep him much longer, especially if they want to make the playoffs soon.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Maybe off season trade

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
There are few buyout candidates that the Oilers could trade Campbell for that would be worse in terms of how the future dead cap plays out. Gallagher is actually one of them. A more than $4M buyout charge in the year McDavid is a UFA is not something the Oilers would take on even with a rising cap.

I will give the OP this. It is a creative idea.

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
If montreal thinks they can sign someone for less than 2.65M in FA that does what Gallagher does, it's not a bad idea

But Edmonton getting deadline cap space is by far the most valuable 'asset' in this trade, so Oilers have to add

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
There are few buyout candidates that the Oilers could trade Campbell for that would be worse in terms of how the future dead cap plays out. Gallagher is actually one of them. A more than $4M buyout charge in the year McDavid is a UFA is not something the Oilers would take on even with a rising cap.

I will give the OP this. It is a creative idea.
Does McDavid re-sign with the Oilers if they don't win in the next 2 years?

It's a trade off. You can't just look at what you're giving away.

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
If montreal thinks they can sign someone for less than 2.65M in FA that does what Gallagher does, it's not a bad idea

But Edmonton getting deadline cap space is by far the most valuable 'asset' in this trade, so Oilers have to add
Yes, maybe, but i tried to keep it as simple as i could.

Like i said, pick and players can be added to the deal. We don't have any say in this anyway.

A rookie on an ELC will be better than Gally.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Are you watching the games?

They are both useless.

Gallagher has become a burden. He can't keep up the pace anymore and he's playing frustrated.. He's taking costly penalties almost every game now because of that.
Marty is really annoyed with him. You can see it in its face after every stupid penalty Gally is taking.

He's done.
Campbell is unplayable.

Gallagher is a 3rd line winger.

Habs are not making that trade.

Reactions: viceroy

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
He's barely a 4th line player at this point.
But he's like you, he won't accept reality. He's already started to complain to guys like Stu Cowan.

Even mainstream media is starting to talk about the possibility of buying him out now.
It's that bad.
And Campbell is barely an AHL quality goalie. I'd rather keep the guy who can buried on the 4th line and still contribute. You can't just hide a bad goalie the same way. Campbell is a pure cap dump. There's nothing but negative value there

Reactions: viceroy

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
He's barely a 4th line player at this point.
But he's like you, he won't accept reality. He's already started to complain to guys like Stu Cowan.

Even mainstream media is starting to talk about the possibility of buying him out now.
It's that bad.
He's easily a 4th liner and a 3rd liner when he has a competent C. Point is he can still play at an NHL level. Campbell can't even play at an AHL level.

Its you who is completely out of touch!

What part of Oilers will need to buy out Campbell is giving you trouble? Habs don't need to buy anyone out. They are not competing for a few years. By the time the Habs are competitive, Gallagher's contract is over.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015

Lol gtfo here first that shit isn't even possible and second it increases their cap during McDavid and Leon's new contracts it's actually sad how delusional Habs fans are they think they are getting a plus in this scenario.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
He can and will bounce back in Montreal. Take the deal before Soup bounces back in Edmonton
Sure, a goalie with fragile confidence is going to bounce back under the media microscope in Montreal.

You should read The Game by Ken Dryden as to the pressure those players are under, and especially the goaltenders. It's unbelievable.

Reactions: Play

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
He's easily a 4th liner and a 3rd liner when he has a competent C. Point is he can still play at an NHL level. Campbell can't even play at an AHL level.

Its you who is completely out of touch!

What part of Oilers will need to buy out Campbell is giving you trouble? Habs don't need to buy anyone out. They are not competing for a few years. By the time the Habs are competitive, Gallagher's contract is over.
I was just watching l'Antichambre with Damphousse and Bob Hartley just now.
They were saying the same thing that i was saying earlier. Everybody is talking about it. It's that obvious. Gally just can't keep up anymore and is hurting the team.
They need to find a solution to get him off the team without buying him out.
The Habs will try to be competive way before Gallagher's contract is over. Marty is tired of losing. The players are tired of losing.

You should really go read again my original post.
I've never talked about the Habs buying out anyone now. Maybe later if they need the cap space.
Yes, Campbell sucks. We don't care. That's not the point of the trade. He can be sent down. Gallagher can't because of his NMC. The optics would be bad anyway.
Just bury Campbell in the minors until they absolutely need more cap space and save at least 2.65M until then.
It's about using the unused cap space this year to create some in the coming years, get rid of Gallagher in the process and create a roster spot for another player that can contribute.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad