Proposal: Edmonton - Montreal

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
Oilers need cap space this season and the Habs have plenty of it, so here's the solution i see.

I've pitched this idea elsewhere before but no one has reacted on it yet.
Maybe it's a little too outside the box.

To Montreal: Jack Campbell, EDM 1st 2025, EDM 1st 2026
To Edmonton: Future considerations (Brendan Gallagher, EDM 1st 2025, EDM 1st 2026 after the season)

I've edited the proposal to include the picks, for those who have trust issues...

The Oilers are going for it this season. They clear 3.85M of cap space now to help them make the moves they want, without giving up assets.
If they intended to buy out Campbell this summer, buying out Gallagher instead will cost an additionnal 2.5M of cap space, spread over 6 years.
Buying out Gallagher will actually give them 333K of cap space next year, making it a net gain of 1.433M over buying out Campbell. I'm sure they'll want to go for it again.
The big hit will come in the 2026-27 season, but the cap will probably have gone up by over 10M by then.
If they decide to keep him, they add up to 1.875M cap hit per year vs Campbell in the AHL.

The Habs save 1.5M of cap space for the next 3 seasons. Actually 2.65M with Campbell in the AHL.
They only get rid part of Gallagher's cap hit but they open up a forward roster spot and they don't let some of the cap space they have this year go to waste.
They can always buy out Campbell later if needed. It's gonna be less costly than buying out Gallagher and less complicated given his history and status with the team.

The deal can always be expanded to include players and picks.

The only potential problems i see are:
Gallagher has a 6 team No Trade List, but he comes from EDM, so i can't imagine they're on it.
Real money is higher than cap hit for EDM. Owners might not like that.
Kent Hugues might look bad for the time between the 2 transactions occur. Edit: fixed!

Seems like a win-win to me.

Last edited:

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
Doesn’t work like that

Soup can bounce back in Montreal

It sounds pretty clear for me that Monty and Primeau are gonna the duo for at least the next season. The Askarov factor is maybe probably the only thing that could change the scenario, which is most likely never be

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
It sounds pretty clear for me that Monty and Primeau are gonna the duo for at least the next season. The Askarov factor is maybe probably the only thing that could change the scenario, which is most likely never be
Send Monty to New Jersey for a haul and run Soup/Primeauu

• Haha
Reactions: ManByng

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad