Edmonton media.. Where's the tough questions?

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
Gene is not a reporter, he's a presenter who does silly puns to bring some levity to the sportscasts.

Expecting Gene to ask "tough questions", is like being baffled when an E! reporter doesn't ask Tom Cruise why he's a nutball.

Exactly, Gene has no credibility whatsoever.

Doswell

Mar 1, 2007
Edmonton
The only time that "the organization" (justifiably scary connotation) bowed to public pressure was when Lowe and Katz visited Seattle. And the furor wasn't so much from media hacks as from everyday people who angrily wrote letters to the newspapers and commented on online articles.

There was a suggestion that Rexall would suffer if Katz held his line, and it was the Katz Group rather than the Oilers that backed down publicly.

But there was one very big difference between then and now. They needed public support for the new arena, but that lever has now gone and our ability to apply pressure to "the organization" probably went with it.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I wonder if the reason MacT does not seem to be able to deliver any good trades has to do with other GMs detesting him and Lowe to such an extent that they prefer not to deal with them.
This is the NHL, not recess. The NHL is a business. No self respecting businessman cuts off his own nose just to get back at someone he dislikes. And that's making the very big assumption that you are right and all the GMs in the league hate MacT. No need for them to even talk to Lowe so their feelings for him should be irrelevant.

Second, MacT has been on the job since April 15th.

Trades

37th pick -----> 57th, 88th and 96th picks.
57th pick -----> 94th and 113th picks.

The draft picks trade is pretty meh for me. I'm not a draft guy so I probably simplistically consider anything below about the twentieth pick to be the same as a lottery. So four shots at the lotto is better than one. I can accept someone saying this isn't a great deal, but it sure isn't a terrible one either.

Shawn Horcoff -----> Philip Larsen and 7th round pick

Shawn Horcoff trade is a massive win for MacT. Horc has five points in seventeen games for Dallas and is a -3 and .464 on the dot. Typical Horcoff numbers. Anyone doubt for a minute that if he was still here he'd be the first one making excuses and the last one showing any results. And that's not even considering all the cap MacT gained with this move.

Magnus Paajarvi and 2nd round pick ----> David Perron

MPS trade is another huge win for MacT. Perron has been one of the few guys performing. Meanwhile MPS has dressed for only four games, gone minus one and mustered one muffin shot from the wing. OK, we gave up a second round too, but is there anyone on the board who would take this trade back? Not even the MPS fanboys I assume.

Ladislav Smid and Olivier Roy ----> Roman Horak and Laurent Brossoit

Smid trade is a loss. Clearly. But its not a significant loss because everyone on the board knows we have too many 4 5 6 defencemen. Ference, Smid and Schultz are essentially the same guy. None of them is any good at a breakout. None of them is physical in a nasty way. And none of them can carry the puck very far without ****ing it up. Also more cap cleared. This is a bad trade, but not a disaster. Some people are making it out like the Flames are getting a Norris candidate.

So if I may ask tiger_80 ... why do you say that MacT "does not seem to be able to deliver any good trades"? He has made four trades (count the draft pick trades as one). One meh, two huge winners (the likes of which Tamby could only dream) and one loss.

Can we please relax and allow MacT more than six months to turn this thing around?

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Those guys don't give a ****. They own 6 rings.:laugh:

You forgot to add Mac-T's rings, I think.

Eager and Ference each have one two.

How intimidating.

Edmonton should have a rule where their management and coaching staff can't be asked questions by anyone who hasn't won a cup.

Eakins could show up to post game interviews and constantly ask "I'm sorry, have you won a cup? No? Well then I can't answer that."

McDavidMcCup

Jul 9, 2007
The one I am most disappointed in is Stauffer. He used to have integrity when he was on "a different station at a different time" as he always muses.

Now he is really reduced to a mouthpiece for the organization in exchange for premiere access to insider information. I love how he drops little gold nuggets of information pre-trade and he gets all the credit.

"Stauffer, this is MacT. Smid is being traded. Push the patience key, and stress the importance of process and shots meaning more than wins. Do it. Do it."

Oilers now is a joke, one step higher than the propaganda of the Oilers Twitter account:

"See Eberle's amazing block an empty net goal! Oilers keep it close at 4-2!"

Urg. This organization and media are lost right now.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
The softballs that Gene was throwing Mact during the 1st intermission was so embarrassing.

Not one hard question, just danced around saying they suck

I agree. But we have to remember that this is SNET-W we are talking about.

I'm pretty sure that they are pretty big backers of the Oilers.

Katz is paying big bucks to the station for all those commercials that snet's commercial department sign off on.

Last edited:

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Gene is a clown. Seriously, all he's missing is the red foam nose. His entire agenda revolves around his nauseating puns. Every now and then I see him on a clip for other organizations where he has to be on national tv and suddenly his local puns schtick is gone and you see him standing there completely devoid of a personality. I don't hate Gene but I don't know how he still has a job on tv.

"Dad, are we hillbillies?", I said after seeing Gene on television the first time.

TV is an entertainment industry.

Gene's entertaining to allot of people. Like me.

jmco

Jan 25, 2013
1260 rips the oilers more than CHED but won't rip too hard now that TSN owns them as they will be gunning for radio broadcast rights when they are up.

thinlizzy

Mar 9, 2013
Rumour has it that any reporter that basically tells the truth will be banned from the media scrum pre and post game. This is why they basically sugar coat their articles so I am told. At this point I would get everyone to just revolt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad