Edmonton media.. Where's the tough questions?

Jun 22, 2009
Honestly, Im just as sick of the media as I am with this organization. Clowns like Bob Stauffer and Dan Tencer on twitter preaching patience, is anyone else annoyed with that, or is it just me? I mean, in Toronto Lowe probably would've stepped down 4 years ago cause of the pressure. It's time to apply some, I'm disgusted with every media outlet in Edmonton sugar coating everything. It took 3 years of the basement for Terry Jones to suggest firing Tambo. Grow some stones, and ask the tough questions.

EDIT: Have much more to add but im using my cellphone. my rant is not over.

Last edited:

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
They are probably worried Lowe will have them banned from any future press conferences, practices, and games after the tirade he went on in April because John MacKinnon asked a legitimate question.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
It's blatantly obvious that Lowe/Mact and co. are a petty, vindictive bunch that don't handle criticism well. Scuffles with players, bloggers, media members, agents, and even fans over the years has shown they will take any questioning or commentary about their performance level very personally. Media types who are dependant on the team to give them access for their job simply aren't going to bite the hand that feeds them and potentially make life difficult for themselves.

People also really need to stop complaining about Stauffer, Tencer, or any of the other CHED guys too. They pretty much work directly for the Oilers, and therefore are never going to criticise their employers.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
They tried to ask tough questions at the MacT introduction presser last year.

Lowe threw a hissy fit.

I don't think they want to embarrass the organization again.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
This isn't really the thread I should be posting this in, but I was a big backer of Lowe throughout his tenure here.

He has to go. Everyone's been saying that for a number of years.

Count me on board with you guys now.

This is getting ridiculous.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
"Will the ... uh .... the .... (whisper voice) ... the donughts ... will they ah, be coming back?".

McJeety McJeet

Nov 5, 2011
Edmonton
This isnèt really the thread I should be posting this in, but I was a big backer of Lowe throughout his tenure here.

He has to go. Everyoneès been saying that for a number of years.

Count me on board with you guys now.

This is getting ridiculous.

I agree. I don't think firing Lowe will make lick of difference on the ice but it should be done just for the optics. Bucky and Smith should be fired as well and Eakins should be given till Christmas to get the wheels back on or he should be fired too.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
why the **** do you guys even bother listening to 630 or follow these guys anyways. they are shills/hacks/mouthpieces for a fledgling franchise. They are employees of the Edmonton Oilers, same thing goes for the Journal and Sun columnists.

on TSN 1260, Gregor and Struds at least take pretty deep rips into them, not into Lowe and MacT specifically but they call it as they see it with the team: it's a disaster. I agree they could be even harder though. They should be.

It's difficult in this small city where media personalities want to make it and build connections with guys in the pros and try to eventually get more national recognition. The sad reality is the Oilers run a pretty tight ship and are the hottest ticket in town and try to control things as best they can when it comes to the media. They have a lot of influence.

I'd like to see Rishaug, Gregor and whoever else to try and start singling out guys at the top and try to sway public opinion a bit more that way, start making blatant accusations, using vitriolic words and calling this organization a "gong show" and such things with more frequency. lol

Otherwise the only way to turn things around is to simply stop showing up to games. Stop paying the money. It's up to the people, the fans.

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton
The softballs that Gene was throwing Mact during the 1st intermission was so embarrassing.

Not one hard question, just danced around saying they suck

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
The softballs that Gene was throwing Mact during the 1st intermission was so embarrassing.

Not one hard question, just danced around saying they suck

Gene is not a reporter, he's a presenter who does silly puns to bring some levity to the sportscasts.

Expecting Gene to ask "tough questions", is like being baffled when an E! reporter doesn't ask Tom Cruise why he's a nutball.

stickguy

Jan 20, 2013
Philly85;741 It's difficult in this small city where media personalities want to make it and build connections with guys in the pros and try to eventually get more national recognition. The sad reality is the Oilers run a pretty tight ship and are the hottest ticket in town and try to control things as best they can when it comes to the media. They have a lot of influence. I'd like to see Rishaug said:
Good points, the truth is the Oilers have bullied the media for years, John Short was basically blacklisted for speaking his mind about the team and this was when they were good!

Dec 3, 2005
Vancouver BC
Gene is a clown. Seriously, all he's missing is the red foam nose. His entire agenda revolves around his nauseating puns. Every now and then I see him on a clip for other organizations where he has to be on national tv and suddenly his local puns schtick is gone and you see him standing there completely devoid of a personality. I don't hate Gene but I don't know how he still has a job on tv.

"Dad, are we hillbillies?", I said after seeing Gene on television the first time.

Zap Brannigan

May 23, 2004
Rishaug is a clown and does nothing but harp about crap like heart and grit. The 1260 guys are getting more and more clueless day by day

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
The last media guy to challenge the oilers was Cam Cole who more or less was shun afterwards by the entire sports community and was one of the reasons he left Edmonton. The guys who ask the tough questions tend to start losing access to the players and the team and without access they turn into guys like Tony Gallagher who writes stuff just to piss people off

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
TSN needs to attack our organization. We need famous sports analysts to start calling the Oilers a Mickey Mouse organization. We need Lebrun and Mackenzie to start laughing at the Oilers at the draft, at the trade deadline and when free agency starts. We need them to laugh themselves into a coma whenever Edmonton hires a new coach or manager. We need them to laugh so hard that they literally fall off of their chairs in unison.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
The last media guy to challenge the oilers was Cam Cole who more or less was shun afterwards by the entire sports community and was one of the reasons he left Edmonton.

Dunno, seems like going from the number one sports guy at the Edmonton Journal to the number one sports guy at the Vancouver Sun wouldn't really be a step down in many people's books.

Agreed the current Edmonton sports community doesn't question the Oilers very critically. The only comment on Dubnyk's play against the Flyers on the CTV local news was "a nice kick save" or some blather like that.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Edmonton's media is just as much an old boys club as their management.

Just let the bloggers in.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
It's blatantly obvious that Lowe/Mact and co. are a petty, vindictive bunch that don't handle criticism well. Scuffles with players, bloggers, media members, agents, and even fans over the years has shown they will take any questioning or commentary about their performance level very personally. Media types who are dependant on the team to give them access for their job simply aren't going to bite the hand that feeds them and potentially make life difficult for themselves.

People also really need to stop complaining about Stauffer, Tencer, or any of the other CHED guys too. They pretty much work directly for the Oilers, and therefore are never going to criticise their employers.

I wonder if the reason MacT does not seem to be able to deliver any good trades has to do with other GMs detesting him and Lowe to such an extent that they prefer not to deal with them.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
TSN needs to attack our organization. We need famous sports analysts to start calling the Oilers a Mickey Mouse organization. We need Lebrun and Mackenzie to start laughing at the Oilers at the draft, at the trade deadline and when free agency starts. We need them to laugh themselves into a coma whenever Edmonton hires a new coach or manager. We need them to laugh so hard that they literally fall off of their chairs in unison.

Those guys don't give a ****. They own 6 rings.:laugh:

pinotaur

May 29, 2007
Calgary
Edmonton's media is just as much an old boys club as their management.

Just let the bloggers in.

They tried that once. Covered in Oil was granted a press pass and got the toss the second they mentioned Zach Stortini not being NHL caliber.

LaForge is the minister of propaganda. The business end needs an overhaul just as much as the H.O. Cheerleaders...ques-que ******?

skorf

Jun 30, 2013
They are probably worried Lowe will have them banned from any future press conferences, practices, and games after the tirade he went on in April because John MacKinnon asked a legitimate question.

I think they're more afraid of what food Eakins will start supplying them if they really upset him

Dave

Oct 27, 2009

Did that guy get banned?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad