Edmonton Man Facing Fraud Charges For Kijiji Ticket Scam

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
The fundamental issue here(at least as far as I'm concerned) is not that an artist should be paid for their work, but with the notion that the value of art--value in general, in Swift's words--is expressed through a financial transaction. It's just not true. And the Rand connection is probably obvious.

I think you're getting a little too caught up in Swift's words from the WSJ article. She didn't stay true to that line of reasoning for long. She articulated her views much more clearly in the letter to Apple, making a much stronger argument IMO.

I'd like to get into the Ayn Rand stuff ... but I have a feeling that wouldn't end well. Unless the mods are willing to grant us a little leeway during the dog days of summer :fence:

I somehow muddled through Atlas Shrugged. It was just so bizarre.

I'm a firm believe in self-reliance, hard work and giving people the freedom to pursue what they consider happiness in life. Of course there is a role for government, but I think it should be a relatively limited role.

I was struggling for a way to express my issues with Rand and found it on a Wikipedia page called Libertarianism and Objectivism. This quote from that article pretty much sums up my issues with Rand and her 'philosophy'.

The major lesson of the history of the [objectivist] movement to libertarians is that It Can Happen Here, that libertarians, despite explicit devotion to reason and individuality, are not exempt from the mystical and totalitarian cultism that pervades other ideological as well as religious movements. Hopefully, libertarians, once bitten by the virus, may now prove immune.

The few self-proclaimed 'objectivists' I have had experience with have gotten caught up in the cultism a little too much.

Rand was definitely paranoid and quite odd. The 50s and 60s were a weird time in the U.S. It's hard to imagine now, but there were legitimate fears of communism at that time.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I think you must have misread the quote. She never said her music was valuable (although its obviously implied).
Swift was making a general statement regarding art. And as we all know, art is a subjective business.
I agree with the general statement she made that artists (self defined) deserve to be paid for their work to the extent that the market is willing to pay.
Its been established for decades that you pay for music you like. Way back to the days of the 8-track.
Just because a new medium arises that makes it easy for people to cheat the artist out of his/her compensation, doesn't negate the principle that art isn't free.
I think Swift (and I know absolutely nothing about her, couldn't pick her out of a lineup of ten ladies, and couldn't identify any song that she sings) is well within her rights as an artist (self defined) who produces art for which there is a recognized and proven commercial market.

I'd like to get into the Ayn Rand stuff ... but I have a feeling that wouldn't end well. Unless the mods are willing to grant us a little leeway during the dog days of summer :fence:

Yeah, I've read every Ayn Rand work. I went to University ages ago.:laugh: Could probably converse about Rand for awhile.

Anyway as far as downloading, music, movies etc if I like something I'm old fashioned I buy it and want to have it.

That said most bought CD's sound like crap and its the music industries fault they went to a format with a lot of loss from what could ideally be put out by studios. The average CD comes nowhere close as a format to capturing the actual studio recordings. So its a case of selling the public clear garbage and resting on a bad format for decades that has caused the decline. people simply download even their favorite artists because they get the same basic quality (****) with the download.
Allow people real audiophile recordings of their favorite artists and formats and players that can capture that and people would buy.

Interesting that Vinyl is making such a comeback. Reel to reel was far superior imo.

CD's are the worst format since 8 tracks imo. How the music industry has gone with this format for a quarter Century is beyond me.

Want people to buy the product? Offer quality recorded product. Plus artists worth hearing and buying. Simple.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
Yeah, I've read every Ayn Rand work. I went to University ages ago.:laugh: Could probably converse about Rand for awhile.

Anyway as far as downloading, music, movies etc if I like something I'm old fashioned I buy it and want to have it.

That said most bought CD's sound like crap and its the music industries fault they went to a format with a lot of loss from what could ideally be put out by studios. The average CD comes nowhere close as a format to capturing the actual studio recordings. So its a case of selling the public clear garbage and resting on a bad format for decades that has caused the decline. people simply download even their favorite artists because they get the same basic quality (****) with the download.
Allow people real audiophile recordings of their favorite artists and formats and players that can capture that and people would buy.

Interesting that Vinyl is making such a comeback. Reel to reel was far superior imo.

CD's are the worst format since 8 tracks imo. How the music industry has gone with this format for a quarter Century is beyond me.

Want people to buy the product? Offer quality recorded product. Plus artists worth hearing and buying. Simple.

The part of music that really hurt artists was that in a business that involves having such high end revenues for record companies, it really makes more sense to have a lower bottom line, and more direct - leave the middle man out of the equation business model.

I know I am speaking more about the business model of business and not so much about a black and white issue if art should be paid for (what Swift was talking about) but I am coming from it in a smart objective way.

See part of it you can put a price on canvas and paints for a painting, or the music that involved studio time, and engineering, artwork ect, but really artists must understand is that music involves an attachment to the artist in some aspect that makes you want to purchase it. The other part is with commodities which music is is that i you out price yourself people stop purchasing.

In reality, the whole movement of downloading is not so much that people are cheap or they are people who don't respect private property.
Is that there's two many artists, most of the artists are dispensable artists (Britney spears, nysyc, all these pop stars of 15-20 years ago are nobody now) and the general public has been out priced out of the market.

There is no qualms from me that if someone produced something they should get paid for it. My issue with art; and yea i download lots of stuff and i buy less and less, but the major reason why is (and being an older guy) I loved the sound, and feel and the art that came with buying a vinyl. Also back in the day there was fewer artists and that meant they could be financially wealthier and in turn they toured a lot more and gave back to the fans.

Swift is a commercial product, probably a cheap one at that when performing. If my daughter likes her I am 99% of the time saying hey hun lets look at the bargain bins at Walmart, (and of course she will think I am cheap) and I will say you can save money on the cd and will have more money for a concert when she comes.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com

i am a bit of an audiophile so I have strong opinions on this.

The reality is that the majority of music "listened" to today is through cheap earphones or in a noisy car environment. The quality of the recording is irrelevant in these conditions. Almost 49% of songs listened to today are skipped or stopped before they finish. There is very little engagement anymore.

The percentage of people who would pay for and appreciate higher quality formats is quite small. Current mp3 technology is suitable for the intended market and the usage habits of the typical consumer.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
i am a bit of an audiophile so I have strong opinions on this.

The reality is that the majority of music "listened" to today is through cheap earphones or in a noisy car environment. The quality of the recording is irrelevant in these conditions. Almost 49% of songs listened to today are skipped or stopped before they finish. There is very little engagement anymore.

The percentage of people who would pay for and appreciate higher quality formats is quite small. Current mp3 technology is suitable for the intended market and the usage habits of the typical consumer.

What you are stating may well be the case to an extent, however, the music industry established that by sticking to a poor format, CD's for over a quarter Century and counting. The CD format was initially only supposed to be a base platform. It was supposed to be augmented with a stream of audiophile formats. For instance HDCD or SACD. But few such titles were ever sold. one of the best recorded CD's I have in my collection is Roger Waters "Amused to Death" CD which is recorded with "Q sound" This is just a 3d sound augment but is possible and completely transforms the listening experience. Any CD could have such special layering, some added data streams, and present the music in a better fashion. Such CD's are also harder to emulate as they require more data.

The biggest problem with the CD format though is how cheap and replicable the digital information was. How on Earth did the music industry not foretell that a finished CD, which costs about 25cents, could easily be copied and that the set prices, in the neighborhood of 10-20bucks represented a margin whereby people would of course copy if they could buy a 100 CDR for 25bucks.
Had the music industry introduced the CD as a base platform, and charged a more reasonable 5bucks for a CD, and only more for special audio recordings, the whole music sharing industry would not have got off the ground. It was the music industries greed, and blatant product profit margin which resulted in copying.

Finally, when CD's came out the industry acknowledged that while initial pricepoints were high they would go down significantly so that CD's would be cheaper than previous formats because they were much cheaper to produce. This was acknowledged by the industry, this never really occurred.

Now I'm not advocating any of the copying mentioned, just explaining some background.

Last edited:

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
interesting times for sure. I have several decent setups including one with a reel to reel player but I end up listening to cd copied via lossless to 5th generation ipods (wolfsun DAC is hard to beat). I have a collection of those ipods.

In the near future, we will be streaming higher bit rate music, stored on a cloud, and accessed via very high speed wifi. The audio format will no longer be the weak link and I can see my record collection going the way of black and white TV's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad