Edmonton Man Facing Fraud Charges For Kijiji Ticket Scam

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I always wondered how easy it would be to scam tickets with the new electronic system.

Seems like such a stupid crime to commit, and for what 12K?

oilers106

Nov 25, 2008
It's pretty much impossible to scam with the new system because you forward the tickets from one oilers account to another. Barcodes from the first account are then no longer valid.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
That number would have been a lot higher if the Oilers weren't brutal.

You could find tickets for under ten bucks for some games on StubHub.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I would never buy tickets off a sight like Kijiji. I've heard of way to many people getting scammed. At least with Stubhub they have measures in place to prevent that sort of thing.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I've purchased certain things off of Kijiji....but never tickets and the like.

The few times I have bought something (like a bass guitar and amplifier), I stick by the old school method of picking it up and testing it personally...you know, like in the old Bargain Finder days.

You have to be pretty damn careful with purchases these days...especially when money transfers are involved.

Last edited:

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I remember trying to buy something off kijiji and the buyer insisted that we meet at night behind the Superstore in Clairview. I regrettably had to turn that offer down.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
I have bought and sold tickets on Kijiji plenty of times. Mostly as a seller though. Never an issue.

If they are hard copies of tickets like the Oilers or Esks, they are harder to fake.

When I sell, I am quite willing to have the person come to my house or my place of work to pick them up, that way they know that I'm not trying to rip them off.

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
Some vendors on kijiji are legit for oiler tickets. Bought a couple pairs myself. But there are a lot of swindlers selling fake tickets, stolen cell phones, u name it. It's too bad that some people will do anything to grift a couple bucks off us.

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
I have bought and sold tickets on Kijiji plenty of times. Mostly as a seller though. Never an issue.

If they are hard copies of tickets like the Oilers or Esks, they are harder to fake.

When I sell, I am quite willing to have the person come to my house or my place of work to pick them up, that way they know that I'm not trying to rip them off.

Well, the second I email the tickets or print off tickets, the original hard copies bar code become invalid. The most secure is email transfer; the email comes directly from the oilers/ticketmaster and if that ticket is cancelled, the original buyer would get email notification and know something is up.

Eirhead*

I've purchased certain things off of Kijiji....but never tickets and the like.

The few times I have bought something (like a bass guitar and amplifier), I stick by the old school method of picking it up and testing it personally...you know, like in the old Bargain Finder days.

You have to be pretty damn careful with purchases these days...especially when money transfers are involved.

Lol, that right there... I've bought tickets from various sites in the past, and unless it's stubhub or ticketmaster, I opt to meet the person and make the exchange with cash. And then when I meet the person, I take down their license plate for future reference just in case I got a bunk ticket or duplicate or something.

Sure the scammer could go to extra measures to protect himself against everything I might do... but I tend to assume the criminal element on average is not that smart, and so far, so good. I even cancelled 1 order with someone in the past because they refused to meet, so no sale for them. The worst thing you can do is send money to someone relying on their word - especially in such a faceless environment as the internet.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
They said this morning on the radio that about 100 people got turned away at the Taylor Swift concert with fake tickets.

how embarassing to file a report you actually have to admit you wanted to be there in the first place

oilers1988

Jan 12, 2013
how embarassing to file a report you actually have to admit you wanted to be there in the first place

Not embarrassing at all probably for parents who were taking their child, probably heartbreaking.

I worked at NL for 6 years, its not fun informing guests they were scammed.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007

My wife and daughter attended the show and were blown away by it. It might not be your cup of tea but she's an ultra mega-superstar for a reason.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Not embarrassing at all probably for parents who were taking their child, probably heartbreaking.

I worked at NL for 6 years, its not fun informing guests they were scammed.

agreed. when you look at it that way, it's pretty sad. what was supposed to be possibly some child's best moment ever, being one of their worst.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
My wife and daughter attended the show and were blown away by it. It might not be your cup of tea but she's an ultra mega-superstar for a reason.

Because she pays generic flavour of the week radio friendly nonsense, i'm sure the show was amazing given the amount of investment that went into it, but it sure as hell wasn't for the artistic value. She's a pop tart. Kim Kardashian is a "mega superstar" wtf is she talented at? I'm sorry but he's right it's awful.

For the record i'm not trying to be a jerk my wife likes Taylor Swift because it's "fun girly music", and she's a swell lady. But despite liking it even she's a bit embarrassed to admit it, she knows full well it's filler music.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Because she pays generic flavour of the week radio friendly nonsense, i'm sure the show was amazing given the amount of investment that went into it, but it sure as hell wasn't for the artistic value. She's a pop tart. Kim Kardashian is a "mega superstar" wtf is she talented at? I'm sorry but he's right it's awful.

I'm just a regular everyday normal guy. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad