Edmonton, Katz Group agree to $450M arena deal (UPD - still $100m funding gap)

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
I would be very curious to hear why you think the BOG has any input into the Edmonton arena.

Or are you just making this up on the fly?
Why does this have to be spelled out?

Right now there is a 100 million dollar gap. What if that does not get filled at all. Katz could then in 2013 say he tried and go to the BOG and ask for permission to relocate. Do you think the BOG will vote to keep the oilers in edmonton?

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
The province will be especially wary because what they do for Edmonton they'll be expected to do for Calgary as well. This is without gauging what public support is like for giving such large sums of money to subsidize pro sports franchises owned by some of the richest individuals in the country (and I think Katz, Edwards and Riddell are 1,2 and 3 in the province respectively).

The PCs are on shaky political ground with the budget being one of the big issues. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
The province will be especially wary because what they do for Edmonton they'll be expected to do for Calgary as well. This is without gauging what public support is like for giving such large sums of money to subsidize pro sports franchises owned by some of the richest individuals in the country (and I think Katz, Edwards and Riddell are 1,2 and 3 in the province respectively).

The PCs are on shaky political ground with the budget being one of the big issues. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.
That's really the point. 100m is a lot of money.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
You choose to ignore that Stelmach is a lame duck premier and will be out of office in a couple of months.

Okay. I guess I'll reiterate "I'm not familiar with Alberta politics". Nor do I really care, for that matter. :nod:

The fact that he's a lame-duck premier as you state lends more credence to my theory, namely that his statement is nothing more than posturing.

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
Okay. I guess I'll reiterate "I'm not familiar with Alberta politics". Nor do I really care, for that matter. :nod:

The fact that he's a lame-duck premier as you state lends more credence to my theory, namely that his statement is nothing more than posturing.

Yet he has been saying the same thing long before his resignation.

Try Again.

cyril*

Why does this have to be spelled out?

Right now there is a 100 million dollar gap. What if that does not get filled at all. Katz could then in 2013 say he tried and go to the BOG and ask for permission to relocate. Do you think the BOG will vote to keep the oilers in edmonton?

Relocate?

And if it came to that the BOG would vote to keep the team in Edmonton. Very simple reason, the team isn't bleeding money and pays INTO revenue sharing.

Your points make zero sense.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Yet he has been saying the same thing long before his resignation.

Try Again.

Riiiiight...?

So you think Stelmach's words carry some weight, or rather reflect how the Alberta gov't will approach the proposed $100 million subsidy? If so, scrap the terseness and enlighten me as to your theory.

If you're not of this opinion, then we're basically on the same page, and you're arguing me for the sake of arguing. In that case, I won't even bother firing a volley back.

saskganesh

Jun 19, 2006
the Annex
So did Ontario. We have the same problems here. In fact we receive transfer payments out now.

Ontario still pays far more in taxes than they receive back in equalisation payments. And even with that adjustment, still pays far more than Alberta. You guys can look this up anytime.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Ontario still pays far more in taxes than they receive back in equalisation payments. And even with that adjustment, still pays far more than Alberta. You guys can look this up anytime.
Thank You for the backup. It's time we stopped pretending Alberta pays for the whole country it doe snot.

Metzen

Sep 9, 2005

Not on a per-captia basis, Albertan's pay more into the equalization payments then any other citizen.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

Is this per capita? Just curious.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Thank You for the backup. It's time we stopped pretending Alberta pays for the whole country it doe snot.

Since 1961 Alberta has given 147 billion in equilization payments including 14 billion for 2010. It may not be paying for the whole country but its alot of money gone. Alberta could be like dubai or something instead of struggling to build an arena

Vomiting Kermit*

are apparently also doing Calgary's new rink.
Calgary?

Exterior is fairly bland, but interior looks great.
That exterior shot is of the Sprint Center in Kansas City.

Um, is this going to happen?
If so, when?
I think they said shovels should be in the ground no later than April 2013 for the Oilers to be in the new building for the start of the 2015-16 season. Katz's original plan was to have a new arena for the 2014-15 season since the Rexall Place lease ends after 2013-14.

Mungman

It's you not me.
Mar 27, 2011
Outside the Asylum
Exterior is fairly bland, but interior looks great.

Eh, bland's not the right word. I think generic is better, or derivitave. Show a street level shot of it, or an aerial shot and you'd be hard pressed to name the venue or city it's in.

It's unfortunate, usually the concept drawings show the most flare and it gets more and more generic as the design gets refined. Look at the abomination that will be the new museum in Alberta, THAT is generic, it's unfortunate that dollars come into the picture to such an extent that all flare and risk in design disappears. That being said, you can go too far in the other direction too....

Cmhr-nov-28-2011.jpg

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
At least, the viewer must give a chance and wait for the final result. t may be nice in the end.

You know, you have the big O in la belle province. Honestly, if it could have been just like the plan, I think it would be a beautiful stadium but not for -25 or -30 C we got in january. Canada is a place for robust stadiums that works, not fancy ideas.

In the 70's, people had a complete different vision of developement and architecture then we got now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad