Rumor: Edmonton interested in Eric Staal

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I think the team that gives Tyler Benson a shot in their top 6 is going to be very happy with him.

I'm not sure that team is Edmonton. Although it's worth noting that they did put an A on him in the AHL at 22 years old, so maybe they're not as low on him as I think.

I don't know if Holland and Co. are "low" on Benson, or if they are just waiting for him to prove himself. Although he has done more at the AHL level than Yamamoto did, so who knows what the holdup is. I'd love to see Benson on our roster.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I don't know if Holland and Co. are "low" on Benson, or if they are just waiting for him to prove himself. Although he has done more at the AHL level than Yamamoto did, so who knows what the holdup is. I'd love to see Benson on our roster.

The repeated "his skating isn't good enough" thing has always been confusing to me. He's fine. His best assets are his brain and his boardwork. He doesn't need to skate like McDavid to play with him.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
I'm sure a deal could be made. Staal is 36, putting up poor numbers and is a UFA at the end of the year.

But I wonder if the bigger hurdle wouldn't be his NTC. LeBrun says Staal would be willing to waive for a contender, which Edmonton isn't, and he's going to need to spend 2 weeks in quarantine before he can even join the team.
I think Staal would waive to go anywhere at this point. Get me outa here!! I'd take a 3rd and 4th.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The repeated "his skating isn't good enough" thing has always been confusing to me. He's fine. His best assets are his brain and his boardwork. He doesn't need to skate like McDavid to play with him.
I'd love to see him skate faster. I also would have liked to see (insert any other linemate for McDavid) skate faster. I'd like to see Draisaitl skate faster (not that he's slow). He looked fine in the NHL before in terms of skating. Get him out there!

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Okay now that you’ve opened with a 1st and we’ve started at a 7th, can we actually get to the real bargaining positions?

What does Buffalo even have for needs? I mean 36 year old expiring UFA mid to late round pick or something in that ballpark? Or a player of similarish value if not a pick?
I'd like to add Kassian for his toughness..... hoping the Sabres have realized just how soft we are. We have a Montour and Miller available as well. :help:

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
The Sabres will need a 2nd to make it worth our time. Only way I can see us taking less is if it’s merely a trade for Staal’s sake.

A 3/4th rounder from a playoff team is borderline worthless and literally give us nothing of actual value.
Honestly, most years you are correct but this year the draft is so unknown with little to no scouting that there could be hidden gems even in the 4/5/6 round this year.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
I'm not sure that Staal is washed up just yet. He's sucking in BUF this year, a lot of players do, but he was pretty good the previous 4 years in MIN. That said, not sure if he would want to go through the hassle of coming to Canada, he can just wait a bit and go to a US team I'm sure.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I can't see why Edmonton would be interested, at least not as a top priority... they need help everywhere else before center. Their goalies aren't even close to good enough to be a threat in the playoffs

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
I'm sure a deal could be made. Staal is 36, putting up poor numbers and is a UFA at the end of the year.

But I wonder if the bigger hurdle wouldn't be his NTC. LeBrun says Staal would be willing to waive for a contender, which Edmonton isn't, and he's going to need to spend 2 weeks in quarantine before he can even join the team.

Why not? He almost won a cup in Edmonton.

But painful jokes aside, Staal turns us into a contender if our D gets a mild upgrade.
Turris Staal Archibald is decent.

but also I’m really into the idea of Debrusk for Kassian.
Debrusk Staal Turris looks pretty good to me.

and luckily now we have the top end talent and can afford to perennially buy low and still draft well.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
I can't see why Edmonton would be interested, at least not as a top priority... they need help everywhere else before center. Their goalies aren't even close to good enough to be a threat in the playoffs

Spoken like a true person not following the Oilers closely this year.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I could see Edmonton. If not Edmonton maybe Toronto, NYI, Colorado or Vegas. He's valuable in terms of his contract.

I see Eric Staal taking a huge discount to try and sign with the Jets or anywhere close to Thunder Bay. Don't know if he'd return to the Wild.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Staal is 36, putting up poor numbers and is a UFA at the end of the year.

Staal -3 goals 6 assists

skinner ,okposo, Tage Thompson, Eakin - 2 goals 6 assists

I would say his numbers are not poor ....

Kublakhan

Lets Go Buffalo !!!
Jan 24, 2013
North Tonawanda
Ok..Ok..Ok.. In the Staal to Toronto thread I did say , Price for Staal is For Toronto 1st anyone else a 2nd, so I guess I will stick to that...

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Sabres will be asking for 1st+ and they'll probably get it.

Just like all the rentals that garnered 1sts last year, right?

Geez, you’d think some folks would actually learn that it’s quite rare for a ufa to be to return a 1st st the deadline.

Reactions: Jesperi Suzuki

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad