Elks: Edmonton Eskimos Part 4: Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
well at least they voted no to the 3 point rule. I'm good with that.

will be interesting to watch 32 yard convert attempts. going to be tons of 2 point attempts this year. thank god we don't have kavis reed making those decisions.

They moved too far didn't they? Making the conver much longer and the two pt play shorter by 2 yrds is probably going to really entice clubs to just go for it.

I don't see what was wrong with changing the convert and keeping the 2 pt conversion at the 5 yd line.

3yds isn't gimme by any means. But I could see teams looking at it as the way to go.

It will be more interesting anyway. If they could just getting their calling on PI better so that some of the TD's leading to conversions are not phony.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
I dunno. I hate arbitrary calls. PI calls being the worst. Don't allow ANY contact and its actually easier to call and a pure track meet. That's OK imo, but the unfair part is that when any rules change occurs it essentially makes some players better, some worse.

I think theres too much tinkering to that end

I agree they may be doing it the wrong way but something had to be done. This league has become so boring the past few seasons maybe even going back a dozen years now with how defense first it has become. It used to be offence first and big plays could turn games around, now they just seem to grind it out and we got a lot of games with only a touchdown or two scored and field goals ruled the day. Pass interference seemed to be called a lot more often back in the day, ideally they wouldnt have to call penalties to open it up but whatever it takes to allow the receiver the chance to make a play. I also like the restrictions on the linemen on kicks. Open up the kick return without the constant penalties.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I think it was a mistake to cut Burdett. He's signed with the Stampeders.

http://www.stampeders.com/article/st...ran-db-burnett

Calgary Stampeders head coach and general manager John Hufnagel is pleased to announce the signing of international defensive back Joe Burnett. As per team policy, terms of the agreement were not disclosed.
Burnett spent the past three seasons with the Edmonton Eskimos, registering 122 tackles, three special-teams tackles, eight interceptions, 11 pass knockdowns and one fumble return for a touchdown in 39 games. He led the CFL in 2012 with six interceptions including two picks returned for touchdowns and was named a West Division and CFL all-star.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
The coaching staff has earned the benefit of the doubt from me in regards to player personnel decisions, but yeah this one smells.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I like how the Canadian Press decided not to mention that Lawernce Phillips played in the CFL.

What a waste of human being let along a football player.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Burnett was no where near the player last year that he was in previous years, blame it on system coachs whatever you like he just did not make plays like he did before. I'm not worried about it.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Burnett was no where near the player last year that he was in previous years, blame it on system coachs whatever you like he just did not make plays like he did before. I'm not worried about it.

I'd agree here. I wondered what was up but then just deduced that the other personnel the team had was better. Burnett looked good on a comparatively bad Eskimos squad. under the bolstered squad that Hervey has assembled Burnett looked ordinary.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I like how the Canadian Press decided not to mention that Lawernce Phillips played in the CFL.

What a waste of human being let along a football player.

for once I was glad the cfl was not mentioned in the news.

I can't wait until the season starts. I really fell the esks have turned the corner and we won't have to be embarrassed by them any more.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
GM Ed Hervey has been extended through the 2017 season. Media conference will be live streamed at 1 pm on Twitter @EdmontonEsks. Ed will take questions on Twitter at 2:30. #AskEd

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
In a week full of positive Oiler news...this is not good news for the Esks....

Jason Gregor said:
"Simeon (Rottier) will start the season on the 6-game IR. Shawamd (Chambers) will likely miss a few games as well." Hervey

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
In a week full of positive Oiler news...this is not good news for the Esks....

This has been known for some time. He's still recovering from that tough injury from last season. It isn't good news but he should be 100 per cent for the last half of the season.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
^ Rottier has had both knees braced for the last few years for preventative reasons, and that will continue. He has no pain right now. He is coming along well but he’ll be out of commission longer than thought. He’s been told that his injury takes up to a year before he’s back to 100 per cent and September will be only nine months. He hopes to be back towards the end of the season.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I'll be in Fort McMurray for the preseason game. I normally wouldn't but I'll be up on business anyway. Anyone else going?

McHilman

Nov 28, 2007
Edmonton
Eskimos announce over $3.5 million profit; Rhodes signs five-year extension

Edmonton, AB, Canada / iNews880
Dave Campbell
May 05, 2015

A 12-6 season, and home playoff game, and a Western Final appearance helped the Eskimos have an improved year off the field.

The Eskimos announced a net profit of $3,594,393 for the 2014 season which is up by almost two million dollars from the previous year.

Operating revenue increased by over 30 percent along with a 4.3 percent increase in attendance which put the Eskimos back on top of the CFL in overall attendance. Gate receipts were up along with game-day and merchandise revenues.

The new CFL television agreement with TSN generated $2.2 million for the club.

Hosting the Western Semi-Final netted the organization $1.3 million.

Eskimos President and CEO Len Rhodes says the club enjoyed great financial success in 2014.

http://www.inews880.com/2015/05/05/eskimos-announce-over-3-5-million-profit-rhodes-signs-five-year-extension/?sc_ref=twitter

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Dammit. Rhodes is here for 5 freaking more years? Sigh. Well, just keep him away from the players and I guess it's ok.

Rhodes has nothing to do with the roster. He gives Hervey the resources and Swerve and his staff make all personnel decisions. Rhodes handles the business side.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
sad news...

Eskimos board of governors’ outgoing chairman Bruce Bentley announced that Rhodes’ contract has been extended, keeping him in Edmonton through December 2019.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Rhodes has nothing to do with the roster. He gives Hervey the resources and Swerve and his staff make all personnel decisions. Rhodes handles the business side.

I know. But I am trying to remember if Rhodes was part of the whole Ricky Ray to TO for nothing with Tillman. Plus I didn't like his cocky attitude.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I know. But I am trying to remember if Rhodes was part of the whole Ricky Ray to TO for nothing with Tillman. Plus I didn't like his cocky attitude.

one of the things I dislike most about him is he's a branding expert that was supposed to increase our game day experience. I don't see where he added value for my dollar.

he did bring in the wide mouth beer cans, charge extra for them, and make sure that very expensive beer is the only beer sold in the stands.

I've been a season ticket holder for some time, and there has been no noticeable improvement in my game day experience. none. unless you count the time he brought in music group "salt and pepper", as he called them.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009

Watson is a talented receiver but he’s injury prone. He had one big year. Hus may become the best deep snapper in the CFL. He has been with the Rams, Seahawks and someone else (I can’t remember). He’s a great deep snapper who is from Regina. We can afford to lose him because we have Ryan King - who is solid.

The higher draft choice could make this a great deal if the Riders, as I expect, have a poor year (maybe under .500), maybe moving us up eight to 10 spots. edit: draft choices are not until 2-16.

Riders needed an elite deep snapper and got one in Wus. I'm not a Cory Watson fan, but, even if he's healthy half the time, he gives us five Canadian receivers (Coehoorn, Chambers, Bailey, Jackson and Watson,) which assures us of being able to dress three Canadian three American WRs and WRs. That lets us play with three Americans on the OL, which is outstanding. It will take Rottier about three-quarters of the season to regain his health.

Last edited:

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Watson is a talented receiver but he’s injury prone. He had one big year. Hus may become the best deep snapper in the CFL. He has been with the Rams, Seahawks and someone else (I can’t remember). He’s a great deep snapper who is from Regina. We can afford to lose him because we have Ryan King - who is solid.

The higher draft choice could make this a great deal if the Riders, as I expect, have a poor year (maybe under .500), maybe moving us up eight to 10 spots.

Riders needed an elite deep snapper and got one in Wus. I'm not a Cory Watson fan, but, even if he's healthy half the time, he gives us five Canadian receivers (Coehoorn, Chambers, Bailey, Jackson and Watson,) which assures us of being able to dress three Canadian three American WRs and WRs. That lets us play with three Americans on the OL, which is outstanding. It will take Rottier about three-quarters of the season to regain his health.

Ahh, so this is more of a strategy in the line-up and not so much for the talent. That makes sense. I didn't know much of both players TBH, but I did see Hus is in the NFL so I assumed he is a good player, but not sure if he would come to the CFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig