Elks: Edmonton Eskimos Part 4: Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
I was at the game. It wasn't that cold. I was in a jersey with bare arms and a gal in front of me was in shorts.

The D will be outstanding if they can avoid injuries.

I loved the new stadium. That was one reason I went, plus an oil sands tour. Those seats are tiny, however. Some people couldn't fit into them. They should have enlarged them by a few inches.

Good first effort by both teams. The game started boring but got really good.

The Esks brass were all out.

Were you down in the regular seating or up in the temp bleachers? Because up in the bleachers it was cold as hell man. I had 4 layers on and I was still shivering, and I'm pretty good with the cold. The wind was driving right into us. Main reason we really left though, is it was a Fathers Day gift for my dad who is in his 60s, and he forgot his glasses, so he couldn't really see that well, and wasn't having fun because of all the drunk jackasses around us trying to be tough guys rather than watch the game.

One guy in front of us literally spent the entire second quarter stood up and turned away from the field talking **** to his friends. Don't get me wrong, I love Fort Mac, but some of the people here need to learn to act like civilized beings when they are drunk.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
Hope we finally have a decent alternative at QB. I've never been sold on Nichols. Hell, I'm not completely sold on Reilly.

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
I keep hearing it was nothing but a drunk fest and if so I feel bad for you guy's that went to the game and I have to say this is the first year where I really have no idea what kind a team will show up ,can anyone tell me what kind a team they will be.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I keep hearing it was nothing but a drunk fest and if so I feel bad for you guy's that went to the game and I have to say this is the first year where I really have no idea what kind a team will show up ,can anyone tell me what kind a team they will be.

Just like last years team.
They should have a solid (even ferocious) defence and an offence with a lot of question marks.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Were you down in the regular seating or up in the temp bleachers? Because up in the bleachers it was cold as hell man. I had 4 layers on and I was still shivering, and I'm pretty good with the cold. The wind was driving right into us. Main reason we really left though, is it was a Fathers Day gift for my dad who is in his 60s, and he forgot his glasses, so he couldn't really see that well, and wasn't having fun because of all the drunk jackasses around us trying to be tough guys rather than watch the game.

One guy in front of us literally spent the entire second quarter stood up and turned away from the field talking **** to his friends. Don't get me wrong, I love Fort Mac, but some of the people here need to learn to act like civilized beings when they are drunk.

I cannot believe this, Fort Mac drunks acting like idiots?

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I actually thought Sam would make it into the regular season for montreal.
guess not. seems he already ran home.

..."A source told Zurkowsky that Sam left the team after "pouting" due to his poor play in camp. Another source said the chances of Sam returning to Montreal were "nonexistent." Details for the reasoning behind those comments were vague but focused largely on Sam being ill-prepared for camp and taking issue with comments from a teammate about his disappointing play."

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I actually thought Sam would make it into the regular season for montreal.
guess not. seems he already ran home.

..."A source told Zurkowsky that Sam left the team after "pouting" due to his poor play in camp. Another source said the chances of Sam returning to Montreal were "nonexistent." Details for the reasoning behind those comments were vague but focused largely on Sam being ill-prepared for camp and taking issue with comments from a teammate about his disappointing play."

Odd saga and nothing but cryptic comments on what transpired. But yeah from reports Sam spent more time in the offseason on talk shows and TV then he did preparing for the season and players commented on his substandard play. Guy expected to play up here in the CFL and for it to be easy I guess.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Odd saga and nothing but cryptic comments on what transpired. But yeah from reports Sam spent more time in the offseason on talk shows and TV then he did preparing for the season and players commented on his substandard play. Guy expected to play up here in the CFL and for it to be easy I guess.

Yeah that was my thought as well, I think a lot of NFL guys, or former NFL guys, just assume the CFL is a cakewalk and get a rude awakening.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Yeah that was my thought as well, I think a lot of NFL guys, or former NFL guys, just assume the CFL is a cakewalk and get a rude awakening.

if the rumors are true that he wasn't prepared, then it's too bad. I thought he had potential to be a decent CFL player.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Interesting stats regarding the # of blitz's the Esks ran against the Riders...

CHgpFbEUwAA7ccL.png:small

So on 53 defensive plays they Esks blitzed 17 times.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Interesting stats regarding the # of blitz's the Esks ran against the Riders...

CHgpFbEUwAA7ccL.png:small

So on 53 defensive plays they Esks blitzed 17 times.

Thats great! Glad we are blitzing. Love to see them pour the pressure on the QB. But obviously you don't want to do it too often otherwise it will open up the backfield for a quick 20-30 yard gain.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Thats great! Glad we are blitzing. Love to see them pour the pressure on the QB. But obviously you don't want to do it too often otherwise it will open up the backfield for a quick 20-30 yard gain.

I am all for an aggressive defence as well.
I would rather see the defence dictate rather than being reactive....keeps the opposing offenses on their toes.

You might get burned occasionally but Chris Jones has shown that he is quite adept at knowing when and how often to blitz.

I am looking forward to watching the defence...not really sure what the offence is going to bring this season.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
My thoughts too. We've seen so many players over the years come up here not expecting the skill level to be any where near as high as it is and completely fold because of it. I remember reading a Fred Stamps interview years ago when he talked about first getting to Edmonton. He figured he'd be a CFL star immediately. He said that on the first day of training camp there were twelve receivers in total at camp and it was clear to him that all of them were better than him. He wasn't expecting that and was worried that he was in over his head and thought thought about going home too. Stamps got the encouragement from the coaching staff that he belonged and he had the character to learn his craft. Not sure if Sam has that kind of character. Seems more interested in fame than football.

Last edited:

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Ricky Ray is on the 6 game disabled list.
please don't use this as an opening to reignite the argument about his time as an eskimo.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
New season....time for a new thread?

If one of you guys want to start it and make it spiffy and full of info? I'm going to close this one as we're getting close to 1000 pots.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
New season....time for a new thread?

If one of you guys want to start it and make it spiffy and full of info? I'm going to close this one as we're getting close to 1000 pots.

I put one up. Moneyguy asked me last year if he could have this thread so he could keep the first post updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->