Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2019 v5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Though they are certainly making a statement in these 4 games, they blew out Ottawa and Toronto for 3 of those victories. The only test they had was Montreal without Adamss and Montreal is winless without Adams starting. In that game, it took a coaching error where Khari didn't take the go ahead points for them to win. Maybe Reilly marches into field goal range if they kick the 3, but that's far from a certainty.

I'm confident BC will beat Edmonton this weekend, but Saskatchewan is going to need that game next weekend, so that one will be extremely tough to win. Also, odds are that Calgary is going to need the final game as well and if not, that likely means Saskatchewan isn't going to need it's final game against us and it's quite possible that Harris will be back by then.

That said, at this point they deserve the playoff spot more than Edmonton.

The Odds of Calgary losing a game that involves Edmonton having a chance approaches 100%.

If it comes down to that game the Stamps are losing it. Our hope lies with the Riders winning their game against BC.

Like most I'm thinking Reilly comes in here and kicks our ass this time. BC almost won the first game in the season series.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I've defended Sunderland in this space but if we get bounced out in the x-over game (the most likely scenario) then the club has to do something to reassure fans that they are at least aware of the problem.

If Sunderland gets on that "we still love Jason and believe in him" stuff after the season then its time for Brock to go too. The toughest part of any management job is firing a friend but sometimes it has to be done. He's done a good job in terms of recruiting players but ultimately he could go out and get the Patriots lineup for 2020 and still miss the playoffs.

As for Jones, I have always considered him to be the Billy Martin of the CFL. He has an expensive shelf life of a few years and then he makes a rather inglorious exit.

The Als are proof positive that you can turn things around in less than a year with guys who aren't "names" in the CFL. If I were the new EE Prez I would be looking at this situation and saying "what did they do that we didn't in the off season?" Considering that the EE have far more in the way of resources than the Als, we should be able to do it too.

Sunderland did an adequate job offseason. I'm not convinced he's doing such a great job during seasons. But I agree Maas should be gone and its high time to stop propping up dead coach stumbling.

In Pro sports these handshake kind of commitments often end up burning several parties. The commitment to Maas, if continuing, could lose both their jobs. Of the two Sunderland at least resembles knowing what he is doing.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
So Popp was gonna sign Collaros to an extension. Pinball trades him to WPG.

The Esks should have targeted him. They have no backup right now and Collaros (as fragile as he is) would have been a step up for sure.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
The Esks should have targeted him. They have no backup right now and Collaros (as fragile as he is) would have been a step up for sure.
I’m not even sure if he’s an upgrade on Kilgore. I think he’s pretty much done in the league. Plus he’d have to learn a whole new playbook in a very short amount of time.

Surprised the Stamps didn’t do anything with all their injuries and probably a decent amount of cap space from BLM’s time on the DL.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Sunderland did an adequate job offseason. I'm not convinced he's doing such a great job during seasons. But I agree Maas should be gone and its high time to stop propping up dead coach stumbling.

In Pro sports these handshake kind of commitments often end up burning several parties. The commitment to Maas, if continuing, could lose both their jobs. Of the two Sunderland at least resembles knowing what he is doing.

I'm convinced he didn't do an adequate job. I can handle going into the year with Kilgore, that's fine.

But when you have half the season to play and Kilgore is your top dog at QB you need to do something to remedy that. Anything. You can't win games with that kind of QB performance in this league.

Kilgore isn't even a never was. He isn't a guy with pro CFL tools that can't put it together in game. He's not a guy with good reads and no athleticism. He's a guy that seemingly has neither. Slow reads, slow release, horrible arm in terms of accuracy and power. He literally and figuratively does not move the chains.

I think I'd be more confident with an amateur QB chosen out of a public try out, tbh.

To me it's unacceptable to see the writing on the wall with this QB situation and leave it unmitigated. Obviously if your starter goes down your starter goes down and you can't really plan for that or fix that when you're paying him the money he's paid to be the guy. But you have to atleast have a competitive replacement level guy.

Kilgore is aptly named; he just kills ones will to watch the games while goring the games and the brand.

Reactions: guymez

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I'm convinced he didn't do an adequate job. I can handle going into the year with Kilgore, that's fine.

But when you have half the season to play and Kilgore is your top dog at QB you need to do something to remedy that. Anything. You can't win games with that kind of QB performance in this league.

Kilgore isn't even a never was. He isn't a guy with pro CFL tools that can't put it together in game. He's not a guy with good reads and no athleticism. He's a guy that seemingly has neither. Slow reads, slow release, horrible arm in terms of accuracy and power. He literally and figuratively does not move the chains.

I think I'd be more confident with an amateur QB chosen out of a public try out, tbh.

To me it's unacceptable to see the writing on the wall with this QB situation and leave it unmitigated. Obviously if your starter goes down your starter goes down and you can't really plan for that or fix that when you're paying him the money he's paid to be the guy. But you have to atleast have a competitive replacement level guy.

Kilgore is aptly named; he just kills ones will to watch the games while goring the games and the brand.

The EE do have a backup-- named Briscoe-- who was impressive in the pre-season and is considered the QB of the future. He has a strong arm and was highly rated coming out of college. He also knows the EE offence by now and certainly deserved a shot last game. That's why they kept him around. They also have Troy Williams who is green as grass but from the clips I've seen has a decent arm. Sunderland signed him when Harris went down.

But the problem is that Maas won't play the back-up QB no matter who he is. That's just the way that the guy thinks and nobody is going to tell him otherwise. He always knows something that others don't.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I’m not even sure if he’s an upgrade on Kilgore. I think he’s pretty much done in the league. Plus he’d have to learn a whole new playbook in a very short amount of time.

Surprised the Stamps didn’t do anything with all their injuries and probably a decent amount of cap space from BLM’s time on the DL.

Anybody is an upgrade on Kilgore. :nod:

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Anybody is an upgrade on Kilgore. :nod:
At least he knows the playbook, even if he can’t execute it. I don’t think Collaros will do anything for the Bombers. I would have liked Bethel Thompson as an insurance policy if Harris is out for the playoffs though.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
At least he knows the playbook, even if he can’t execute it. I don’t think Collaros will do anything for the Bombers. I would have liked Bethel Thompson as an insurance policy if Harris is out for the playoffs though.

Kilgore is absolutely terrible.
I am not even interested in watching this team anymore with Kilgore at QB and Maas coaching.
I can honestly say that as a life long Eskimo fan I have never felt as disinterested in this team as I do now.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Kilgore is absolutely terrible.
I am not even interested in watching this team anymore with Kilgore at QB and Maas coaching.
I can honestly say that as a life long Eskimo fan I have never felt as disinterested in this team as I do now.

Nobody on the thread seems to have stated any reason why Briscoe shouldn't play. What am I missing?

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Christian Jones replacing Tevaun Smith at wideout. Is this just lack of depth or what? I guess they could incorporate some screens or sweeps to Jones, but it seems weird that they would use their kick returner who's a running back in this way. Santos-Knox also gets his first start of the year.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The Eskimos have spent a lot of time this week telling us Killgoredrive is ready to go this weekend and he's ready to start.

Oh what a relief. (sheer and utter sarcasm) I was thinking maybe we could send Jason Maas and his clipboard and watch him get drilled and sacked into the middle of next week.

I mean its like the Esks are rubbing it in. We need a presser or media contacts to assure us the worst QB we've seen in years is ready to go? Please buy your tickets. This would be like going to a restaurant and you know salmonella and e coli are appetizers..

Man, Turkey day looks like its early this year.

Hopefully the Oilers play well or we're going to be sick of Turkey.

jk aside thought are the Eskimos still so disconnected from the fanbase that they think Kilgore being ready to go is good news and reassuring to fans? I know the Esks org often states it ignores social media, and I could see why you would do that, but you should have some pulse of the fanbase. I don't know anybody who is OK with Kilgore being the starter several weeks after Harris got injured. This is just lack of diligence by the org at this point.

C'mon, theres Eastern teams that have airlifted starting QB's in this late in the season and even pulled out a GC appearance or win. Get somebody in that can play. Why are we just surrendering the season with Kilgore? Are they scared if they brought somebody good in it might pressure Harris?

Last edited:

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Christian Jones replacing Tevaun Smith at wideout. Is this just lack of depth or what? I guess they could incorporate some screens or sweeps to Jones, but it seems weird that they would use their kick returner who's a running back in this way. Santos-Knox also gets his first start of the year.

I think Smith has basically played (or perhaps I should say "not played") his way off the team.

The way that easy ball bounced out his hands and into the defender's hands for a quick-6 last week just can't happen to a veteran receiver this late in the season. Canadian or not you have to get some production from the guy. Not much of a ratio buster.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
The Eskimos have spent a lot of time this week telling us Killgoredrive is ready to go this weekend and he's ready to start.

Oh what a relief. (sheer and utter sarcasm) I was thinking maybe we could send Jason Maas and his clipboard and watch him get drilled and sacked into the middle of next week.

I mean its like the Esks are rubbing it in. We need a presser or media contacts to assure us the worst QB we've seen in years is ready to go? Please buy your tickets. This would be like going to a restaurant and you know salmonella and e coli are appetizers..

Man, Turkey day looks like its early this year.

Hopefully the Oilers play well or we're going to be sick of Turkey.

jk aside thought are the Eskimos still so disconnected from the fanbase that they think Kilgore being ready to go is good news and reassuring to fans? I know the Esks org often states it ignores social media, and I could see why you would do that, but you should have some pulse of the fanbase. I don't know anybody who is OK with Kilgore being the starter several weeks after Harris got injured. This is just lack of diligence by the org at this point.

C'mon, theres Eastern teams that have airlifted starting QB's in this late in the season and even pulled out a GC appearance or win. Get somebody in that can play. Why are we just surrendering the season with Kilgore? Are they scared if they brought somebody good in it might pressure Harris?

When, like 30+ years ago? I don't recall this ever happening a single time in my 24 seasons watching.

I've never been a fan of tanking or giving up. Sows the seeds of a losing culture. So I can appreciate the perspective that Sunderland should have done everything he possibly could to improve our chances, however remote they may be.

But bringing in a new QB this late in the game is exceedingly rare, because it usually takes weeks for a new QB to learn the offense and be able to run it effectively (maybe only a couple weeks though since Maas is basically running a college-level offense in terms of complexity). It sucks that we're stuck with Kilgore, but what were the options really? Trade for McLeod Bethel-Thompson and hope he catches lightning in a bottle and maaaaaybe we give Montreal a run for their money in the Eastern Semi final? I get the frustration from a fan perspective, but Sunderland was probably just being realistic. This season is done like dinner, and has been for a month. The chances of this roster beating Montreal and Hamilton on the road in consecutive weeks to reach the Grey Cup is probably around 5%, maybe 10% if Harris comes back. I'd be more than fine with Briscoe or Williams playing out the string, but burning a first round pick for a potential band-aid would have been a very low-percentage gamble IMO, unless you believe that this team is only a competent QB away from making a run at the Cup from their current position.

Reactions: MoontoScott

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I think Smith has basically played (or perhaps I should say "not played") his way off the team.

The way that easy ball bounced out his hands and into the defender's hands for a quick-6 last week just can't happen to a veteran receiver this late in the season. Canadian or not you have to get some production from the guy. Not much of a ratio buster.

Smith has quietly been one of the bigger disappointments this year. He was supposed to be our Lemar Durant. Looked like junk early on, and nothing has changed. I'm not sure how the hell he was actually an NFL-level prospect, unless he's been playing hurt the entire year or something weird.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Curious. Why would you be satisfied with Kilgore starting the season as our backup, when you say he is trash, and always has been?

My problem, is that Sunderland should have recognized that and secured a competent backup for this team right from the beginning. That is a large fail on him.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

He's been a huge disappointment for me, given all the press clippings he received when we drafted him, and coming in from the NFL. Not even a competent backup I would keep at this point. We can do better.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
^^^Chuck Ealey would be an example. Won the Grey Cup in his rookie season.

Ricky Ray played in the GC in his rookie season here having started the same season as a third string QB.

Don't have time right now to look for other examples but back in the 70's 80's 90's it was not uncommon for QB's with very little experience here in the CFL to do well in a brief period of time. Often theres an advantage of their being no book on the new QB.

Similarly in hockey countless rookie goalies from Ken Dryden to Patrick Roy, to Binnington have won Stanley cups in rookie season and largely because they are unscouted commodities that opponents don't know how to scheme against.

Reactions: MoontoScott

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
And don't forget a CFL rookie named J.C. Watts who stepped in and almost sunk the 1981 EE juggernaut in the GC game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad