Proposal: Edmonton and Minny

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I guess nobody read the part where i mentioned the value of the contract. 925K v 8.5M matters in a league where the cap is flat. In other words, picking Lafreniere over Draisaitl also allows you to keep a player like Josi or Pastrnak. So, the question is, would you rather have Lafreniere and Pastrnak, or Draisaitl?

The choice you note is not realistic. It is extremely unlikely that that the issue would be keeping a Jossi or a Pastrnak if you got Leon because Leon actually has a very good contract and he is 24. Even with the flat cap there are things that could be done to make room. In virtually any situation where the option between Leon or 1OA would be presented there are things that could be done to make it happen.

The Bruins this year would be able to easily make this happen. And in Nashville getting a true #1C like Leon would be a huge plus. The trade Bonino and get creative to move Turris and they have lots of space.

I honestly cannot see a single team that could not make this work.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I guess nobody read the part where i mentioned the value of the contract. 925K v 8.5M matters in a league where the cap is flat. In other words, picking Lafreniere over Draisaitl also allows you to keep a player like Josi or Pastrnak. So, the question is, would you rather have Lafreniere and Pastrnak, or Draisaitl?

1ov would have bonuses on contract putting him closer to 4 million would he not? Passing on a signed 24 yrs at a value contract to roll the dice on a prospect seems foolish to me. Not that we would even more Draisaitl for that

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
If Minnesota is out of the playoff race in 2021, then I only see Brodin in an Oilers sweater if the Oilers trade their 1st+ and are playoff bound.

Or, figure out a trade where Edmonton offers Russell + 1st + something else. They aren't trading RNH, he is helping them a lot on the second line.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
I'm all for getting more 1st round picks, but we have no need for Russell.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
In what universe would Russell be wanted by MN?

Surely you wouldn’t but Edmonton can’t be a buyer without cap exchanging hands. Russell isn’t an add he’s a dump for cap reasons. If you were to target a futures package from Edmonton it’s unavoidable we simply have no cap space

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Surely you wouldn’t but Edmonton can’t be a buyer without cap exchanging hands. Russell isn’t an add he’s a dump for cap reasons. If you were to target a futures package from Edmonton it’s unavoidable we simply have no cap space

I don't think taking Russell back would be an issue at the deadline if we're trading Brodin for 1st+ prospect. The bigger issues are
1) I don't see Guerin willing to move Brodin as a rental at the deadline
2) If he does, I don't see a prospect in Edmonton's pool that they would supplement the 1st with, that the Wild would also be willing to accept.

The obvious prospects in the pool, Bouchard, Broberg, Lavoie, Benson are off limits, understandably. As far as who's left, I don't see a name that jumps out at me. Maybe McLeod, but he's such an underwhelming prospect to me. As a result, I could see another team both needing Brodin's rental services more, and be able to put together a better offer with pick+prospect.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Very curious to see what the Wild do with Brodin. Does he walk into the next season without an extension? Parise is another... Looks like they were OK with moving him but if they did, don't they have about $20M of cap recapture at this point? That would indicate the Wild are looking for rebuild direction

If the Habs get the 9th pick... I'd consider this but not so sure about other Habs fans... I'd say more than 50% of our fan base wants a rebuild. If we didn't have Price and Weber, I would agree

- Brodin with extension
- Pens 1st
for
- Habs 9th OA
- Blues 2nd
- One of our 4th's

Not sure what the Habs do after next season though.... Two of Danault, Petry, Gallagher, Tatar, Armia will have to be let go.

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
Very curious to see what the Wild do with Brodin. Does he walk into the next season without an extension? Parise is another... Looks like they were OK with moving him but if they did, don't they have about $20M of cap recapture at this point? That would indicate the Wild are looking for rebuild direction

If the Habs get the 9th pick... I'd consider this but not so sure about other Habs fans... I'd say more than 50% of our fan base wants a rebuild. If we didn't have Price and Weber, I would agree

- Brodin with extension
- Pens 1st
for
- Habs 9th OA
- Blues 2nd
- One of our 4th's

Not sure what the Habs do after next season though.... Two of Danault, Petry, Gallagher, Tatar, Armia will have to be let go.

Parise has a no trade Clause. The reason trade didn't happen was because of Islanders trading the 2020 1st round pick wild were going to get for Pageau. This deal is dead & not happening.

Also with Kaprizov and Fiala now, are going to go for it to show Kaprizov wild care about winning so he can sign a large deal next year.

Brodin isn't going into the season without a deal. Like Spurgeon signing in September of Last Year, Brodin will probably be signed before next season starts.

Wild as long Suter & Parise are around can't rebuild . Also when you are in a hockey market and having resigned a player like Spurgeon to 7 years deal, rebuilding isn't going to happen

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

- Brodin with extension
- Pens 1st
for
- Habs 9th OA
- Blues 2nd
- One of our 4th's

That's probably not close to enough to get it done, IMO.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Parise has a no trade Clause. The reason trade didn't happen was because of Islanders trading the 2020 1st round pick wild were going to get for Pageau. This deal is dead & not happening.

Also with Kaprizov and Fiala now, are going to go for it to show Kaprizov wild care about winning so he can sign a large deal next year.

Brodin isn't going into the season without a deal. Like Spurgeon signing in September of Last Year, Brodin will probably be signed before next season starts.

Wild as long Suter & Parise are around can't rebuild . Also when you are in a hockey market and having resigned a player like Spurgeon to 7 years deal, rebuilding isn't going to happen

I know the Parise to the Islanders deal is dead (or I believe so anyways). But why was your GM willing to make that deal when he was risking a potential $20M of cap recapture? You ignored that part of my question

Brodin with a deal before the season starts. That's the plan? K, lets see in October

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

- Brodin with extension
- Pens 1st
for
- Habs 9th OA
- Blues 2nd
- One of our 4th's

Didn't seem like they were all that worried about the recapture stuff last year, and as far as I understand it, didn't those rules change for the better with the extended CBA, even if only just slightly better?

Trading Parise would allow us to 4x4 for the ED which is a pretty big thing for us, and it's probably worth the recapture risk. Gives us no worries about extending Brodin.

All that said, trading Parise isn't an easy thing to do, especially now with a flat cap, so we'll see.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That's probably not close to enough to get it done, IMO.

Dame straight is it is my opinion. There was a thread on the main boards a few weeks ago and several Wild Fans though it was a fair deal... if the Wild decide to go in rebuild mode.

Brodin with extension does not give him full value. It improves his value slightly compared to one full year and then UFA. Wild get to change their 20-25 1st for a top 10 pick which the talent is very good and also get a late 2nd and late 4th.

I believe they might bite on that if they want to move in rebuild mode. Based on their GM willing to move Parise at the deadline and dealing with a potential $20M of cap recapture penalty, I do think they are thinking rebuild.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Didn't seem like they were all that worried about the recapture stuff last year, and as far as I understand it, didn't those rules change for the better with the extended CBA, even if only just slightly better?

Trading Parise would allow us to 4x4 for the ED which is a pretty big thing for us, and it's probably worth the recapture risk. Gives us no worries about extending Brodin.

All that said, trading Parise isn't an easy thing to do, especially now with a flat cap, so we'll see.

Parise's contract is designed for him to retire 2 or 3 years before it's done. Take $20M and dive that by 3 and it's not higher than his cap hit. Take it and divide by 2 and it is. The new rules slightly helps if he retires 2 years early. But it's still a massive cap hit no matter how you spin it

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Parise's contract is designed for him to retire 2 or 3 years before it's done. Take $20M and dive that by 3 and it's not higher than his cap hit. Take it and divide by 2 and it is. The new rules slightly helps if he retires 2 years early. But it's still a massive cap hit no matter how you spin it

I agree it's not nothing, but they weren't concerned about it last year, so I'd doubt they'd be too concerned about this year if something else came up.

I think he knows how it could screw us up, and I think he know how the fans would react if it ended up costing us a good young player down the line. I don't think he'd want to be hated for it.

And who says he's going to want to retire with 2 or 3 years left if he still doesn't have a Cup?

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">SOURCE: Cap recapture (Parise/Suter) amended in new NHL - NHLPA CBA<br><br>There is no longer a charge greater than the contract’s AAV in any year, but charge continues until full overage is paid off. <br><br>You can read about cap recapture in this <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/mnwild?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#mnwild</a> story<a href="Wild's Zach Parise trade talks with Isles break apart at...">Wild's Zach Parise trade talks with Isles break apart at...</a></p>&mdash; Michael Russo (@RussoHockey) <a href="">July 6, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Reactions: Digitalbooya

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
Dame straight is it is my opinion. There was a thread on the main boards a few weeks ago and several Wild Fans though it was a fair deal... if the Wild decide to go in rebuild mode.

Brodin with extension does not give him full value. It improves his value slightly compared to one full year and then UFA. Wild get to change their 20-25 1st for a top 10 pick which the talent is very good and also get a late 2nd and late 4th.

I believe they might bite on that if they want to move in rebuild mode. Based on their GM willing to move Parise at the deadline and dealing with a potential $20M of cap recapture penalty, I do think they are thinking rebuild.

I can explain this you. They aren't rebuilding. Not with suter & parise contract , or Spurgeon's new Contract, highest I think if I remember right, largest AAV / cap hit on the team.

Also you can't rebuild with Kaprizov being a restricted free agent next Year, & trying to convince him to sign large extension.

Also Guerin wasn't trying to trade Parise, it was Parise himself who wanted to play on Islanders for which his dad played for. Guerin also wanted to make room for other wingers who are close. Parise did a zoom interview with Russo in which he says he's very happy now knowing team is trying to win , & truly excited to play with Kaprizov & Continue to play with Fiala.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Its really not.

You have the Wild moving up 11 spots and trading one of their better defencemen who you've signed without paying for that pleasure.

It would cost Montreal a lot more than dropping 11 spots and two mediocre draft picks to get that done. You're trying to have your cake and eat it too.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Its really not.

You have the Wild moving up 11 spots and trading one of their better defencemen who you've signed without paying for that pleasure.

It would cost Montreal a lot more than dropping 11 spots and two mediocre draft picks to get that done. You're trying to have your cake and eat it too.

Totally agree with my guy CO here. But I always found the comment "Have your cake and eat it too" rather odd. Wouldn't the point of having your cake be to eat it?

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta

Might just be misinterpreting you, but an extended Brodin definitely increases his value significantly. I wouldn't trade an extended Brodin for 9OA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad