Proposal: Edmonton and Boston

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Look. Offense first players will not fit in our system. I've always said with Seguin is that if he was on a team like Chicago that allows Kane and Toews to go O first, that he would excel. And now that hes in Dallas, hes doing just that.

These players just dont fit our system in the long run. Kessel was included in that. Hall is the same. Would he score goals here? Yes. But system wise, just not a good fit.

So no. I dont do the deal.

How can offense first forwards not fit our system yet everyone seems enamored with krug (offense first dman)? Including management as well as everyone always clsmoring for more mobility and offense from the blue line.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
Sunday boredom taking over. Simple question: would you make this move today?

To Boston:

F Taylor Hall

To Edmonton:

F Brad Marchand
D Dougie Hamilton
G Niklas Svedberg

Bartowski takes Hamilton's spot, and Hall takes Marchand's spot.

Lucic - Krejci - Iginla
Eriksson - Bergeron - Hall
Soderberg - Spooner - Kelly
Paille - Campbell - Thornton
Smith

Take on 6.0 million and ship out 6.25 million.

No thanks Coach. I'd go for Marchand and Svedberg for Hall but that's it.

I wouldn't trade Hamilton for Hall as an even swap. Hamilton is key to the future on defense for Boston. Bartkowski is not.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
Or this? More from the responses from Edmonton fans:

To Boston:

F Jordan Eberle
2014 Edmonton 2nd Round Pick

To Edmonton:

F Brad Marchand
G Niklas Svedberg

This one is better. Eberle could fit in the Bruins top six and allow them to keep Smith as a bottom six player, perhaps replacing Thornton with Campbell and Paille.

Lucic - Krejci - Iginla
Eriksson - Bergeron - Eberle
Smith

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
How can offense first forwards not fit our system yet everyone seems enamored with krug (offense first dman)? Including management as well as everyone always clsmoring for more mobility and offense from the blue line.

Maybe because he plays inside of his position first and has the game laid out in front of himself (as Bobby Orr would say) the game is "ahead of, or all in front of him." With a guy (forward) whose game is mostly offensive the d-game is behind him. As an Italian gent in a comedy great race movie said "What-sa behind me is no importante" as he pulled off and threw away the rear view mirror.

Last edited:

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston

To Boston:

F Jordan Eberle

To Edmonton:

F Brad Marchand
G Niklas Svedberg

I would do this, although it would suck to lose Marshy. Don't know if we would get a second, maybe a third or throw-in-with-some-potential(Smith-esque prospect).

edit: posted it on the Trade board because some seemed into it, including myself. Can't wait to see how badly it gets bashed. :laugh:

edit2: actually has gone really well, good job Coach. Some don't want to do it but for good reasons. You don't see a pretty relaxed trade thread often, must mean it's pretty fair. :)

Last edited:

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Maybe because he plays inside of his position first and has the game laid out in front of himself (as Bobby Orr would say) the game is "ahead of, or all in front of him." With a guy (forward) whose game is mostly offensive the d-game is behind him. As an Italian gent in a comedy great race movie said "What-sa behind me is no importante" as he pulled off and threw away the rear view mirror.

Riiiiight.... but my point being if you're going to discard forwards that score because there D game is poor/not so good... how can you in the same paragraph justify and offensive d-men who's defense is far secondary to his offense.

This teams problem.isn't defense. Its always been scoring goals.

Four 'responsible' 'two way' forward lines... but not room or a spot for one true offensive forward?????

Doesn't make sense to me.

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011
No chance, don't want to move Dougie or Marshy for someone who plays only 60-65 games a year

Hall may be talented, but he is a disaster in his own end and would take at least a good year or two to get all the bad habits he has developed in Edmonton.

member 96824

Eriksson-Bergeron-Eberle puts me on a level of happy I don't know if I can comprehend. Love Marchand, but man that's a slick line.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com

To Boston:

F Jordan Eberle

To Edmonton:

F Brad Marchand
G Niklas Svedberg

I might do this one, the talent exchange is in our favor I think. But I love Marchand, and slow start or not I'd like to keep the band together for now.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009

To Boston:

F Jordan Eberle

To Edmonton:

F Brad Marchand
G Niklas Svedberg

Easy yes for me, although I don't think Edmonton would do it and I'm an unabashed Eberle lover being a Sasky kid :laugh:

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World

To Boston:

F Taylor Hall

To Edmonton:

F Brad Marchand
D Dougie Hamilton
G Niklas Svedberg

Lucic - Krejci - Iginla
Smith

Ummmm....No. ("Ummmm" added because apparently a simple and succinct answer of "NO" doesn't have enough letters?!)

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I would do this, although it would suck to lose Marshy. Don't know if we would get a second, maybe a third or throw-in-with-some-potential(Smith-esque prospect).

edit: posted it on the Trade board because some seemed into it, including myself. Can't wait to see how badly it gets bashed. :laugh:

edit2: actually has gone really well, good job Coach. Some don't want to do it but for good reasons. You don't see a pretty relaxed trade thread often, must mean it's pretty fair. :)

Thanks!

Yeah I find it easier to actually go read the board of another team and engage in dialogue with them about their players and situation.

The Ederle and Marchand/Svedberg one is really worth the conversation on a slow week.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I don't know that Edmonton is going to be too keen to give up any of their young core, and Marchand is part of the Bruins core.

I think a more realistic proposal with Edmonton would be Svedberg for Hemsky with EDM holding onto half of Hemsky's cap hit.

member 96824

I don't know that Edmonton is going to be too keen to give up any of their young core, and Marchand is part of the Bruins core.

I think a more realistic proposal with Edmonton would be Svedberg for Hemsky with EDM holding onto half of Hemsky's cap hit.

We'd lack some serious identity with that. That's a seriously soft top 9

Altamira

Sep 20, 2013
Massachusetts

To Boston:

F Taylor Hall

To Edmonton:

F Brad Marchand
D Dougie Hamilton
G Niklas Svedberg

Lucic - Krejci - Iginla
Smith

The Oilers don't need Marchand, or another offensive defenseman in Hamilton. They need a more established goalie than Svedberg. The Oilers need a player like Lucic and I can't see a trade involving him that makes sense for the Bruins.

Maybe they could sell the Oilers on Caron being a grinder in exchange for something.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
We'd lack some serious identity with that. That's a seriously soft top 9

For your statement to be true, Marchand needs to discover his game and I`d say that the entire first line, Bergy/Kelly even Smith are far from "soft" players

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
Look. Offense first players will not fit in our system. I've always said with Seguin is that if he was on a team like Chicago that allows Kane and Toews to go O first, that he would excel. And now that hes in Dallas, hes doing just that.

These players just dont fit our system in the long run. Kessel was included in that. Hall is the same. Would he score goals here? Yes. But system wise, just not a good fit.

So no. I dont do the deal.

Seguin's offense did fit in well, its his lack of production when the Bs needed it and his party boy image that got him traded. And he is doing the same thing in Dallas as he did in Boston. See what happens in the playoffs. I believe Eberle would do fine here and be way more clutch than Seguin. Remember, Seguin had plenty of chances in the playoffs, he just didn't finish them. As much as I love Marchand, one of his original fanboys lol, I'd do that trade in a blink of an eye. But a big NO to the Hamilton proposal.

member 96824

For serious. ;)

How is it any different than having Seguin in our top9 the last few years?

Looch, Krejci, Marsh, Bergy and Kelly are still here.
Iginla ~ Horton.
Soderberg ~ Ryder/Pouliot.
Hemsky & Eriksson ~ Seguin & Peverley.

Yeah I guess you are correct, although I would give the edges to Horton and the Segs/Peverley duos as far as grit goes in your comparisons...and Marchand, well, he's been here in body :sarcasm:.

Are you playing Hemsky with Kelly and Soderberg? I don't know if I like that combo personally.

Hemskey's not really a guy I'm interested in.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Seguin's offense did fit in well, its his lack of production when the Bs needed it and his party boy image that got him traded. And he is doing the same thing in Dallas as he did in Boston. See what happens in the playoffs. I believe Eberle would do fine here and be way more clutch than Seguin. Remember, Seguin had plenty of chances in the playoffs, he just didn't finish them. As much as I love Marchand, one of his original fanboys lol, I'd do that trade in a blink of an eye. But a big NO to the Hamilton proposal.

Not just about being clutch, it was about competing, this quote from Chia says it all

“It’s a general thought that this team has been built that there has to be a minimum level of compete and willingness to compete,†Chiarelli said. “It doesn’t mean you have to crash and bang. That’s the distinction. You just have to battle. In your own way, you’ve got to battle. That’s a prerequisite here.â€

One of the fastest players on the ice at all times constantly losing puck races because he pulled up so often....

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
And not to be mean, but why would anyone offer anything for Hemsky? Can't stay healthy, can't produce, can't break the electromagnetic perimeter wall around the opposing net. Might as well get Boyes for free (Caron).

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
Not just about being clutch, it was about competing, this quote from Chia says it all

“It’s a general thought that this team has been built that there has to be a minimum level of compete and willingness to compete,†Chiarelli said. “It doesn’t mean you have to crash and bang. That’s the distinction. You just have to battle. In your own way, you’ve got to battle. That’s a prerequisite here.â€

One of the fastest players on the ice at all times constantly losing puck races because he pulled up so often....

Yup that to. Though he did put in effort to play all 3 zones.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Yup that to. Though he did put in effort to play all 3 zones.

He improved, no doubt about it, and I gave him kudos when by doing so, but I understand what Chia was saying, with that speed and skill, no reason he shouldn`t or couldn`t have won so many races for the puck...bailed out of contact too often

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad