Proposal: Edm-Wpg

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Not sure why fellow Oilers fans think any team wants Chiasson. In a year where that caliber of player is a dime a dozen, and players with more skill are signing for cheaper, it doest make sense for anyone to take him.

WPG could trade Copp for a pic then just sign a Chiassom level player to 1x1mil deal and be on their way. Ita a small deal but the offer makes no sense value or logic wise.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Not sure why fellow Oilers fans think any team wants Chiasson. In a year where that caliber of player is a dime a dozen, and players with more skill are signing for cheaper, it doest make sense for anyone to take him.

WPG could trade Copp for a pic then just sign a Chiassom level player to 1x1mil deal and be on their way. Ita a small deal but the offer makes no sense value or logic wise.

1 oiler fans posts a deal and 4 oiler fans ask why the jets do it? U ignore the fact 4 out 5 oiler fans have shot the idea down. Most oiler fans know he has no value. One oiler thinks it is a good deal so paint all oiler fans thinking the same way. Nice math there buddy

Last edited:

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
1 oiler fans posts a deal and 4 oiler fans ask why the jets do it? U ignore the fact 4 out 5 oiler fans have shot the idea down. Most oiler fans know he has no value. One oiler thinks it is a good deal so paint all oiler fans thinking the same way. Nice math there buddy

First of all, I am an Oilers fan so chill. Second of all, that part was referring to multiple posts on this board trying to trade Chiasson for an asset. There seems to be a new one every week so clearly there are multiple people thinking he has value.

Try not to insult/go after people when you don't understand what they're saying.:thumbu:

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Chiasson doesn't have "no value", that's pretty lazy thinking. The hyperbole on here gets a little out of hand sometimes. However the Jets wouldn't make this trade. I think more than Chiasson has to go the other way to make this work. Some kind of pick would have to be added by the Oilers.

Ossific

Aug 23, 2010
One of these players has a career +/- +52 and the other is a career -30

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Copp is a very versatile player. Can play center or wing, improves the possession metrics of every line he's put on and can play up or down the lineup (he won't create much on the second line but he'll tilt the ice and make space).

Chiasson doesn't bring anything Copp doesn't. This is a bad proposal.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Jets' best and most versatile bottom 6 player for... 4 years older Chiasson on the same contract? Wow

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006
Chiasson doesn't have "no value", that's pretty lazy thinking. The hyperbole on here gets a little out of hand sometimes. However the Jets wouldn't make this trade. I think more than Chiasson has to go the other way to make this work. Some kind of pick would have to be added by the Oilers.
Wrong. Chiasson has negative value since the free agent pool is littered with better options for likely less cash. Buyout or tie a decent asset to him if you want him gone.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
One of these players has a career +/- +52 and the other is a career -30
Not even going to look up who is who. But here:
Being a penalty killer inflates your +/-, since you have opportunity to get a + but no -.

Being on the power play hurts your +/-, since you have opportunity to get a - but no +.

Being a player that gets put out during empty net situations when you're trying to score hurts your +/-, since it's more likely your empty net will get scored on than it is for you to score.

Being a player that gets put out during empty net situations when you're trying to not get scored on helps your +/-, since it's more likely you'll score on the empty net than it is you'll be scored on.

So just to guess, Copp, who is generally not used on the powerplay and is top penalty killer and is never put out in empty net situations when trying to score and often is when they're trying to defend is +52.

Chiasson, who plays a lot of powerplay, does do some penalty killing, but is much more likely to be on the ice trying when his own net is empty then when the other teams' is, is -30.

Did I get it right? Is +/- really that predictably bad?

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Another sub-1K poster making a non-sensical proposal.

I don’t think posters like that should have the ability to create threads here.

GoingInDrai

GoingInDrai89
Feb 10, 2019
I don't think you're going to find anyone other than the OP that can justify this trade for the Jets at all.
I just seen a poster talking about the jets having a bit of a logjam at LW and Oilers have a jam at RW, and Chiasson is the more productive player I thought Copp might get a bigger role in Edmonton, don't know much about him though, didn't know he was your best bottom 6 most versatile guy

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Wrong. Chiasson has negative value since the free agent pool is littered with better options for likely less cash. Buyout or tie a decent asset to him if you want him gone.

That's your opinion, but you aren't exactly the final word on the subject. Chiasson is an NHL player who can help a team out with a net presence and pot a few goals.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
I just seen a poster talking about the jets having a bit of a logjam at LW and Oilers have a jam at RW, and Chiasson is the more productive player I thought Copp might get a bigger role in Edmonton, don't know much about him though, didn't know he was your best bottom 6 most versatile guy

I'm an Oilers fan, so I can't accurately speak to Copp's value to the Jets. Even without knowing that, he's more valuable than Chiasson.

Ossific

Aug 23, 2010
Not even going to look up who is who. But here:
Being a penalty killer inflates your +/-, since you have opportunity to get a + but no -.

Being on the power play hurts your +/-, since you have opportunity to get a - but no +.

Being a player that gets put out during empty net situations when you're trying to score hurts your +/-, since it's more likely your empty net will get scored on than it is for you to score.

Being a player that gets put out during empty net situations when you're trying to not get scored on helps your +/-, since it's more likely you'll score on the empty net than it is you'll be scored on.

So just to guess, Copp, who is generally not used on the powerplay and is top penalty killer and is never put out in empty net situations when trying to score and often is when they're trying to defend is +52.

Chiasson, who plays a lot of powerplay, does do some penalty killing, but is much more likely to be on the ice trying when his own net is empty then when the other teams' is, is -30.

Did I get it right? Is +/- really that predictably bad?

Great response with the "Not even going to look up who is who". It looks like you didn't look up anything actually.

Neither of these players are on the top PP or PK units (Copp was this year, but both were secondary last few years). Usage varies over the years, but both players played secondary PP and PK over their careers (no PK last year for Chaisson). And don't pretend Chaisson is on the ice when trailing, I highly doubt that. The difference in usage might affect +/- by 2-3 points a year, but overall Copp plays more minutes per game, has a stronger defensive game, plays the harder position, and has similar point totals, and is also 4 years younger. This does not benefit the Jets at all.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad