Proposal: EDM-WPG

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
WTF? How many 3rd or 4th overall picks ended up better than Connor? 25-30%? That's not even a coin flip and whatever player they get will be years away from paying off. That's a horrible deal that makes the team worse both in the short term and long term.

3rd overall picks:
2013Jonathan DrouinLWHalifax (QMJHL)Tampa Bay Lightning
2012Alex GalchenyukCSarnia (OHL)Montreal Canadiens
2011Jonathan HuberdeauC/LWSaint John (QMJHL)Florida Panthers
2010Erik GudbransonDKingston (OHL)Florida Panthers
2009Matt DucheneCBrampton (OHL)Colorado Avalanche
2008Zach BogosianDPeterborough (OHL)Atlanta Thrashers
2007Kyle TurrisCBurnaby (BCHL)Phoenix Coyotes
2006Jonathan ToewsCNorth Dakota (WCHA)Chicago Blackhawks
2005Jack JohnsonDU.S. Junior National Team (Intl)Carolina Hurricanes
2004Cam BarkerDMedicine Hat Tigers (WHL)Chicago Blackhawks
2003Nathan Horton
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

4th overall picks:
2013Seth JonesDPortland (WHL)Nashville Predators
2012Griffin ReinhartDEdmonton (WHL)New York Islanders
2011Adam LarssonDSkelleftea AIK (Swe)New Jersey Devils
2010Ryan JohansenCPortland (WHL)Columbus Blue Jackets
2009Evander KaneCVancouver (WHL)Atlanta Thrashers
2008Alex PietrangeloDNiagara (OHL)St. Louis Blues
2007Thomas HickeyDSeattle (WHL)Los Angeles Kings
2006Nicklas BackstromCBrynas (Swe)Washington Capitals
2005Benoit PouliotLWSudbury Wolves (OHL)Minnesota Wild
2004Andrew LaddLWCalgary Hitmen (WHL)Carolina Hurricanes
2003Nikolai Zherdev
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Yep and Jets could use a 2c or a top D over another winger. Ves looks like he can play top 6. We'd get the top D in draft since first 2 picks kokko and Hughes. Or a center instead of spending a 1st every year on rentals like Stastny and Hayes. Heavy cost but worth considering.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Yep and Jets could use a 2c or a top D over another winger. Ves looks like he can play top 6. We'd get the top D in draft since first 2 picks kokko and Hughes. Or a center instead of spending a 1st every year on rentals like Stastny and Hayes. Heavy cost but worth considering.
It's an unnecessary bet with a delayed payout where the odds are heavily stacked against you. The Jets can afford to sign their RFAs. If they want to balance positional needs, they can trade for established or nearly established players.

Reactions: Snowman

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
Out of curiosity, Peg seems uber-stacked.

Who are you guys protecting next year in the expansion draft?

Obviously a bit will be determined based on contract status / trades we may make between now and the end of next season but we'd be going 7 - 3 - 1 and protecting:

Wheeler (NMC), Scheif, Ehlers, Connor, Laine for sure. The last 2 spots probably Lowry and Roslovic. If Hayes is extended (unlikely) he'd take one of those spots. Lowry will be one year from UFA so if we acquire someone with term I could see us leaving him unprotected. It's probably these 7 though.

On D we'd protect Morrissey, Niku and then it likely depends between Buff or Stanley depending on their trajectories. Buff will be one year from UFA but but there's nobody who can replace him right now. I assume we protect Buff as we have JMo and Samberg on the left side so Stanley is likely playing 3rd pair if he can't flip over to the right.

So it's likely Seattle chooses from Little (switches to a modified NTC after next year), Copp, Tanev (if extended), Appleton, Perreault available up front that could be of interest and Stanley on the back end (assuming Trouba is gone).

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Moving Ehlers for a draft pick would be brain dead and is not happening.

giphy.gif

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012
Wings are our #1 priority this offseason.

While cheap wingers are definitely up there, I'd say a top pair D and (quietly) a goaltender are likely higher on the organizations wish list. There is just no way that a $6 mil winger is the #1 priority for the Oilers this offseason. Not a chance.

Also, money can be moved to fit in 6m quite easily.

Wow. I could not disagree more. Where would you "easily" free up 6 mil from?
Not defense. Klefbom & Nurse: No. Russell and Larsson: I don't care how unpopular they are to some fans; you don't improve an already terrible D corps by putting AHLers in their place. Sekera: At 32 years old and with 56 games combined over the past two seasons, I don't think 5.5x2 is going to be an 'easy' move.
Not goaltending. Koskinen: Not only is he immovable, but there's a good chance the Oilers are going to need to pay an actual starting goaltender. The money spent on goaltending next year could be double what it is now, which obviously means less to go around elsewhere.
So Offense is it, I guess? But who? McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH: No. Lucic: No, at least not without a bad contract coming back and/or huge retention. Gagner: No. Everyone else: Kassian is the only player making over a million, so you're not saving anything by moving em. I suppose you could replace Kassian with a scrub and save around 1.1 mil, but that's a long way away from 6.

Reactions: Snowman and DRW204

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012
The Oilers cap situation next year is often quite exaggerated. They would have no real trouble fitting him in. Ehlers is not likely to be traded.

I mean...yes and no. And no.
Could the Oilers fit him in? Yes.
Do the Oilers have cap space to burn? No.
Are the Oilers in good enough shape across the roster to use the bulk of their available money plus prime assets, to bring in a guy who would be their 4th best forward? No.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I mean...yes and no. And no.
Could the Oilers fit him in? Yes.
Do the Oilers have cap space to burn? No.
Are the Oilers in good enough shape across the roster to use the bulk of their available money plus prime assets, to bring in a guy who would be their 4th best forward? No.
He might be their 4th best forward but he is a lot closer to the top 4 than anyone else they have right now. He's also a good goal scorer which is something the team is lacking.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Little has a full NMC. Kulikov has a 6 team NTC. Perrault has a 5 team NTC (and has underperformed this year). The teams with cap space and enough desperation to actually take the latter two might also be on their no go list. It's not as easy as you think.

The other option would be trading Trouba if he's not going to sign long term there anyway. That's an option.

Remind me how Winnipeg acquired Byfuglien (and Ladd)? And how did the team that gave them up do afterwards?
don't think Buff and ladd were considered core pieces which Ehlers/Laine/Connor are for the Jets. If the Jets need a cap casualty (again, that's an If) it wont be any of these 3 young players

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012
He might be their 4th best forward but he is a lot closer to the top 4 than anyone else they have right now. He's also a good goal scorer which is something the team is lacking.

Agree 100%. It's nothing against Ehlers at all, he'd be a major help to the Oilers.

Chia just left the team in a terrible spot and it doesn't make sense, unfortunately.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad