Proposal: EDM-WPG

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Pretty simple, the Oil would be very interested in whichever winger becomes the cap casualty for the Jets. I don’t know that it’s guaranteed the Jets look to move one of them (Laine/Connor/Ehlers) and instead get creative elsewhere (trade Trouba, pay to dump Kulikov), just guaging whether a deal for our 1st + would interest them?

Is our 1st (currently 8th overall) enough to land Ehlers? Maybe we add Bear to that?

To WPG: 8th overall, Bear

To EDM: Ehlers, UFA rights to Tanev

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Pretty simple, the Oil would be very interested in whichever winger becomes the cap casualty for the Jets. I don’t know that it’s guaranteed the Jets look to move one of them (Laine/Connor/Ehlers) and instead get creative elsewhere (trade Trouba, pay to dump Kulikov), just guaging whether a deal for our 1st + would interest them?

Is our 1st (currently 8th overall) enough to land Ehlers? Maybe we add Bear to that?

To WPG: 8th overall, Bear

To EDM: Ehlers, UFA rights to Tanev
That is a horrible deal for the Jets. If your 1st ends up in the top 5, then maybe it would be worth considering.

Reactions: Troy

Troy

Nov 28, 2017
Ehlers, Conner, Laine would never be available. Those are not cash casualties. Id say Perreault, Kulikov, to the lesser extent Little. And that pkg wont even bring anything close to discussing

Reactions: Snowman

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
Why is a team looking to compete for the cup for years to come trade away a top 6 forward for a draft pick? They have plenty of pieces they could move before Ehlers name even comes up. Edmonton though.. would be all over this.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
8th pick + Bear for one of Ehlers, Connor, or Laine.... Sign me up

Doubt Winnipeg touches that.

If the pick was higher than 8 but not top 2 I'd make it available for Laine/Connor not Ehlers.

Again, Winnipeg wouldn't touch it.

If it's top 2 it's not being traded, period.

Reactions: thadd

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012
Makes more sense for the Jets than the Oilers, IMO.
Edmonton can't add a 6 mil player without sending a significant amount back. Even if that weren't the case, a winger isn't the right place to spend that imaginary money.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Pass from the Jets, Ehlers wouldn’t be available for that and he’s one of the last pieces we would move for cap reasons.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Makes more sense for the Jets than the Oilers, IMO.
Edmonton can't add a 6 mil player without sending a significant amount back. Even if that weren't the case, a winger isn't the right place to spend that imaginary money.

Wings are our #1 priority this offseason.
Also, money can be moved to fit in 6m quite easily.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
You guys could get Perreault really cheap quite likely. Not a sexy add, but he would help every player he plays with.

Reactions: RedBar

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
Ehlers/Connor/Laine not available for picks. Little (if we sign Hayes) and Perrault could be though

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Ehlers/Connor/Laine not available for picks. Little (if we sign Hayes) and Perrault could be though

You think Little would waive to go to the Oilers? NMC

MP has a modified NMC, good chance Oilers are his list....a good GM might be able to sell him on a top 6/9 winger role.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Even if Wpg was dumb enough to make this trade, how do the Oilers fit Ehlers in cap wise?

Trade Gagner+4th to Ottawa (they need to hit the floor) for someone like Klimchuk/Tambellini (who we won't qualify). Clears 3.15, plus an existing 7.75 mil in space.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Ehlers, Conner, Laine would never be available. Those are not cash casualties. Id say Perreault, Kulikov, to the lesser extent Little. And that pkg wont even bring anything close to discussing

Little has a full NMC. Kulikov has a 6 team NTC. Perrault has a 5 team NTC (and has underperformed this year). The teams with cap space and enough desperation to actually take the latter two might also be on their no go list. It's not as easy as you think.

The other option would be trading Trouba if he's not going to sign long term there anyway. That's an option.

Why is a team looking to compete for the cup for years to come trade away a top 6 forward for a draft pick? They have plenty of pieces they could move before Ehlers name even comes up. Edmonton though.. would be all over this.

Remind me how Winnipeg acquired Byfuglien (and Ladd)? And how did the team that gave them up do afterwards?

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
You think Little would waive to go to the Oilers? NMC

MP has a modified NMC, good chance Oilers are his list....a good GM might be able to sell him on a top 6/9 winger role.

Yeah I could see both waiving but I generally don’t factor those in during make believe trade talks since no one knows what players think, even regardless of public comments (since a lot are cookie cutter generic 95% of the time).

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
8th pick + Bear for one of Ehlers, Connor, or Laine.... Sign me up

Doubt Winnipeg touches that.

If the pick was higher than 8 but not top 2 I'd make it available for Laine/Connor not Ehlers.

Again, Winnipeg wouldn't touch it.

If it's top 2 it's not being traded, period.
I'd trade Connor for a 3rd oa. Or a 4th oa and Ethan Bear. Edmonton would probably say a hard no.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
I'd trade Connor for a 3rd oa. Or a 4th oa and Ethan Bear. Edmonton would probably say a hard no.
WTF? How many 3rd or 4th overall picks ended up better than Connor? 25-30%? That's not even a coin flip and whatever player they get will be years away from paying off. That's a horrible deal that makes the team worse both in the short term and long term.

3rd overall picks:
2013Jonathan DrouinLWHalifax (QMJHL)Tampa Bay Lightning
2012Alex GalchenyukCSarnia (OHL)Montreal Canadiens
2011Jonathan HuberdeauC/LWSaint John (QMJHL)Florida Panthers
2010Erik GudbransonDKingston (OHL)Florida Panthers
2009Matt DucheneCBrampton (OHL)Colorado Avalanche
2008Zach BogosianDPeterborough (OHL)Atlanta Thrashers
2007Kyle TurrisCBurnaby (BCHL)Phoenix Coyotes
2006Jonathan ToewsCNorth Dakota (WCHA)Chicago Blackhawks
2005Jack JohnsonDU.S. Junior National Team (Intl)Carolina Hurricanes
2004Cam BarkerDMedicine Hat Tigers (WHL)Chicago Blackhawks
2003Nathan Horton