Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Warren Foegele signs extension (3 years, $2.75M AAV)

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
How was he in playoffs other than his lack of points? And does he belong in top 6
He’s got everything but hands/puck poise. He hustled his ass off and works hard to get back and cover his guy. Obsessively at times. He definitely wanted Rod to trust him. He goes to the net hard.

His most annoying trait is attacking the dman and trying to pull off a move that’s above his skill level...by more than one level. At first it looks like he’s only a step away from getting there but after three years you’d rather he just shoot it or dump it in. He does not have any real finish, even when batting in rebounds. Just skittish with the puck.

I don’t think he’s a top six guy unless he’s with you guys, you’ve got the talent to bounce them in off of him. He’ll be in front of the net fighting for position.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Darn.

Makes the Oilers harder to play against.

Hopefully Turris is still on the team so we can feast on him instead.

Last edited:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I like the trade and the signing. Really the first Holland move I’ve liked this off season.
Holland has improved the forward group. But the D and goaltending looks like it still needs some work. Especially goaltending. I can’t imagine that they will run with a Smith/Koskinen duo again this year.
Even if they do run Smith/Koskinen, I expect Holland will be after an upgrade sooner than later.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Would take opinions of CAR fans here.. not sure what to think of this deal. Seems alright safely assuming he is better than Kassian.

Also, does he play RW as well? See Yahoo has him listed as RW.

Little overpaid, but not too bad. I think he's more of a $2.25 million player, BUT he has a lot of good traits and could probably score 40-45 points by accident playing with McDavid or Draisatl. He can play either wing and has done a fair amount of both, but I think it's been mostly left side the past couple years.

He wanted a bigger role, they didn't see him as top 6 material, thus the trade. I'll miss him though, he's a good player.

Reactions: LTIR and Tryamw

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Wow! Color me shocked on this entire Foegele trade and extension. Maybe I am over estimating the player but this is the best move Holland has made as the Oilers GM.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
He’s a do everything but score type player. His hustle is off the charts. IQ is maybe a bit on the slow side. He’s kind of like a tiny player inside a large players body. He has all the tools and skills and skating but there is a disconnect in execution and as others are mentioned when the puck is on his stick he will do moves well above his station and then completely fan on the shot or tuck in.

Foegele is a great 3rd liner who wants to be in the top 6. The problem is he doesn’t really mesh with high end talent because he doesn’t think the game on a high level. He is a puck hound so when he’s with lunch box guys who play in a straight line they are a nightmare for the other team.

Maybe he takes a bigger step with another team but he was never knocking anyone out of Carolina’s top 6.

Aho, TT, Svech, Nino, Trochek, Necas

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He’s a do everything but score type player. His hustle is off the charts. IQ is maybe a bit on the slow side. He’s kind of like a tiny player inside a large players body. He has all the tools and skills and skating but there is a disconnect in execution and as others are mentioned when the puck is on his stick he will do moves well above his station and then completely fan on the shot or tuck in.

Foegele is a great 3rd liner who wants to be in the top 6. The problem is he doesn’t really mesh with high end talent because he doesn’t think the game on a high level. He is a puck hound so when he’s with lunch box guys who play in a straight line they are a nightmare for the other team.

Maybe he takes a bigger step with another team but he was never knocking anyone out of Carolina’s top 6.

Aho, TT, Svech, Nino, Trochek, Necas

I find it interesting when I hear that he has stone hands yet he seems to shoot around 10%. Does he just blow a lot of chances that don't make it on or in goal that he should, or does he get more than his fair share of luck to have a shooting % in that range?

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
They suck at negotiating contracts is the insinuation. They're so headstrong about how much they feel a player is worth (generally sub-market) that they can't get the job done as there will be another team willing to "overpay" for his services. Lindholm, Aho, Faulk, Hamilton and Nedeljkovic found their money elsewhere. Arrogance leading to incompetence. Cynical, but plausible.

Wanting to move on for hockey reasons does make sense too, however. A change of scenery was warranted. In the 13 games he played against elite competition in the playoffs over the past 3 years, Boston and Tampa Bay, he got "skunked." 0 points and he looked as invisible as that number suggests. The Top 9 needed an upgrade and that was the logical spot to do it.

The Foegele perspective of the rumor is odd in the context of this contract either way.
Sounds about right. Aho signing such a modest offersheet a couple summers ago was kind of suspect.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
The problem is he doesn’t really mesh with high end talent because he doesn’t think the game on a high level. He is a puck hound so when he’s with lunch box guys who play in a straight line they are a nightmare for the other team.
mcdavid actually does well with the puck hound types. Puljujarvi turned into that and it helped the line put up good points. Not that I expect foegele to play with mcdavid, but draisaitl and nugent Hopkins can also thrive with a puck hound type as well. Smart centre's who are very adept passers. Need someone to make some space for them.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Sounds about right. Aho signing such a modest offersheet a couple summers ago was kind of suspect.
Aho's contract sheet was moneywise right in between of Carolina's and Aho's reported opening bids, the term was Ahos's 5 years instead of Carolina's preferred 8 years. It was a move to sign with Carolina but get his term and skip the dance that Carolina had scheduled for July to September.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I don’t think he’s a top six guy unless he’s with you guys, you’ve got the talent to bounce them in off of him. He’ll be in front of the net fighting for position.

The battle level in front of the net could earn him PP time. Still not sure if it will be Foegele or Hyman who will win that spot on PP1, but whoever does should pot 10 PP goals easy in a full season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad