Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Warren Foegele signs extension (3 years, $2.75M AAV)

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Oilers fans finally going to be happy with Holland about something... right? :laugh:

200.gif

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I find it interesting when I hear that he has stone hands yet he seems to shoot around 10%. Does he just blow a lot of chances that don't make it on or in goal that he should, or does he get more than his fair share of luck to have a shooting % in that range?

Based on the chances that Foegele gets and creates he should be a 25-30 goal scorer, not a 10-15 goal scorer.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
mcdavid actually does well with the puck hound types. Puljujarvi turned into that and it helped the line put up good points. Not that I expect foegele to play with mcdavid, but draisaitl and nugent Hopkins can also thrive with a puck hound type as well. Smart centre's who are very adept passers. Need someone to make some space for them.

He’s a good worker bee and can do the heavy lifting for the skilled guys to to their thing.

If you leave it at that and let him do his job then you’ll be happy. If you start expecting him to become a 30-30 power forward then you’re gonna tear your hair out.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I find it interesting when I hear that he has stone hands yet he seems to shoot around 10%. Does he just blow a lot of chances that don't make it on or in goal that he should, or does he get more than his fair share of luck to have a shooting % in that range?

It's baffling, this dude manages to miss wide open nets a 10-year-old could hit. IDK. I think he gets in his own head too much. He also plays a little out of control, his brain can't keep up with his body.

None of this is bashing him, he's still a good player. Just can be frustrating at times because he looks like he could be a 30 goal power forward if he had any finish at all.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It's baffling, this dude manages to miss wide open nets a 10-year-old could hit. IDK. I think he gets in his own head too much. He also plays a little out of control, his brain can't keep up with his body.

None of this is bashing him, he's still a good player. Just can be frustrating at times because he looks like he could be a 30 goal power forward if he had any finish at all.

Based on the chances that Foegele gets and creates he should be a 25-30 goal scorer, not a 10-15 goal scorer.

Thanks for the info guys. I watched a game of his last night and I saw a guy that's all around the slot and around the goal that works and skates hard. I liked what I saw of him. My question for both of you and other Cane fans is do you prefer his work on the RW or the LW? He was playing RW with Nino on the left and Staal at center in the game that I watched. Also, Necas is a stud of a player in the making, I was very impressed with him.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016

The oilers will give him twice as many empty nets for him to flub so that's fine

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Correct.

Scoring chances don’t always result in shots on goal, for one thing, and for another shooting percentage doesn’t factor in shots getting blocked or missing the net. Foegele is a scoring chance machine but in terms of actual conversion he leaves quite a bit out there.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Thanks for the info guys. I watched a game of his last night and I saw a guy that's all around the slot and around the goal that works and skates hard. I liked what I saw of him. My question for both of you and other Cane fans is do you prefer his work on the RW or the LW? He was playing RW with Nino on the left and Staal at center in the game that I watched. Also, Necas is a stud of a player in the making, I was very impressed with him.

I always seem to recall him being more impactful as a RW but being a puck hound type player I’d say he kind of goes all over the ice and it probably doesn’t matter that much which side he plays

Last edited:

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Upside, is he finds a way to score goals at even strength, somehow. One of those weird bounces guys. Good overall, especially on forecheck, against lesser players

Downside, takes a lot of penalties. My opinion, is he struggles against talent. Good goalies and decent dmen really seem to stymie him.

Last year, Nashville and Tampa in the regular season + Nashville and Tampa in the post season, 4 pts in 25 games.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Upside, is he finds a way to score goals at even strength, somehow. One of those weird bounces guys. Good overall, especially on forecheck, against lesser players

Downside, takes a lot of penalties. My opinion, is he struggles against talent. Good goalies and decent dmen really seem to stymie him.

Last year, Nashville and Tampa in the regular season + Nashville and Tampa in the post season, 4 pts in 25 games.

This is definitely part of it. He seems like the type of player that should thrive when the going gets tough but really in high pressure games he is generally a non factor and looks lost.

You’re right in that he excels well when he can bully lesser competition but against teams that can clamp down he can’t seem to break through.

I don’t want to say he’s a super low IQ player because I don’t think he is but he is maybe overly aggressive and just had one way of doing things which is why he runs into penalty troubles and can be shut down even though he’s fast and physical.

He’s the type of player who can follow a game plan though so if you pair him with one of McD or Drai and just tell him what is job is and to only do that I’m sure he’ll find good results.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
No disrespect to Bear, but the Oilers got the better player imo. Also on a great contract.
Bear is very young for a Dman so Carolina is buying some potential.

With Foegele, at his age forwards settle into their identity. Foegele isn't going to be much more than he is now. He still has the chance to evolve into a top six player though, just because he might gel with McDavid or Draisaitl, but his talent level seems pretty set.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Even if they do run Smith/Koskinen, I expect Holland will be after an upgrade sooner than later.
What in Holland's history suggests that?

Holland does what Holland does and as a Wings fan seeing the moves he has made nothing has changed.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Hes a solid addition to Oils... he's not gonna wow anyone, he may frustrate fans at times with his bad hands but fans will be more happy with him on the team rather than not. He always busts his ass which is good for Edmonton

Also, I am quite high on Bear and fans in Carolina will be real happy with him.

Win/win trade and solid signing

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
What in Holland's history suggests that?

Holland does what Holland does and as a Wings fan seeing the moves he has made nothing has changed.
Holland has rarely spent huge on goalies but has always tried to target competent goaltending. Koskinen from last year wasn't competent goaltending.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

This really was something Holland was trying to add this year. Some more even strength goals from our non-star players,garbage goals from either working hard or being in the right spot as well as some more guys strong on the forecheck.

Sounds like exactly the type of guy we were looking to add.

Reactions: Ole Gil

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

Sounds like Ethan Moreau type of player. It is just what Oilers need on the 3rd line (minus penalties).

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Sounds like Ethan Moreau type of player. It is just what Oilers need on the 3rd line (minus penalties).
Oh no it sounds like Moreau, he was good for dumb penalties.

Let's just hope he doesn't have the entitlement issues that Moreau got late in his career. Or the injury issues.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Best Oilers move this off season. Hyman is a good signing for the next couple years likely, but not so good long term. Foegele will be a nice piece for their top 9 for years to come.

He's a guy I wish was on the Leafs.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1