Confirmed with Link: [EDM/VAN] Dust Off Those #89 Jerseys. Sam Gagner in exchange for Ryan Spooner

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
I want to say someone predicted this a few weeks ago.

It was me!!! I'll have to check though XD 99% sure though but only in our rumor threads.

Edit: I remember throwing this idea around in the rumors thread. Thought it would be a good 1 for 1 swap for a player that is familiar in Edmonton and Vancouver can get a player that wasn't too far removed from being an effective player in NY. Plus the similar contracts.

Welcome Home Gagner to your first team that drafted you! I hope for good things!

Last edited:
Reactions: Vagabond

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

Yeah, exactly. I think the salary is a wash though isn't it? Cap hit is the same, as Gagner makes 3.2 and we were paying Spooner 3.1 as the Rangers were paying some of his salary. Strome has 14 points in 38 games with the Rangers btw, lol. God Chia was about as incompetent as a human being could be at their job, and the OBC is the worst management group in pro-sports history.

Reactions: MikeYEG

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I wouldn’t necessarily assume this is a deal for the NHL. Gagner is in the ahl on loan to the leafs farm team. He’s also not a good player either lol
And to call him up costs us cap space we need to activate sekera. Donno is we can do both.

Reactions: Heavy Dee

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Jordan Eberle for Sam Gagner.
thomas-had-never-seen-such-a-mess-37652469.png

Bum

Ontario Oiler fan
Aug 31, 2010
Sudbury, Ontario
I wonder how Gagner feels about sharing a dressing room with Kassian. To be a fly on the wall for that first conversation.

pomx

May 15, 2014
Spooner goes to Canucks farm team and Gagner gets a shot at the NHL and a wash in cap. SeemsGood trade!

Reactions: CycloneSweep

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I wouldn’t necessarily assume this is a deal for the NHL. Gagner is in the ahl on loan to the leafs farm team. He’s also not a good player either lol
And to call him up costs us cap space we need to activate sekera. Donno is we can do both.

But hasnt Spooner been decent with Bakersfield? I dont really get it.

Reactions: Aerchon

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
What people need to remember about all this is Gretzky is currently running the team.

So you can't judge the trade based on how we got the assets in the past, you have to judge what we had and what we receive moving forward.

This trade we moved a guy who had 3 points in 25 games this year and was in the AHL for a guy who has 3 points in 7 NHL games and currently in the AHL.

This trade also gives us the option to try Gagner here the rest of the season and see if he worked better than Spooner. If not then nothing changed.

This is either a win or a wash at worse

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
whats wrong with this trade?
both are pretty useless but Gagner has a little skill in this trade
It’s a fun trade because of who gagner is. But both are washed out players who has seen the league pass them by.

Realistically we still will have the same dead weight down in the farm for next season.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Buying Ganger out opposed to Spooner saves us 300k for the 2 seasons.

Gagner is also currently a better player.

I'm wondering how much this plays into the decision? We can't possibly have been thinking about keeping either Spooner or Gagner on the team. So maybe the cap buyout difference was worth it?

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Why?

Traded a 3mill AHL player for a better 3mill AHL player that is cheaper to buyout if we go that route.

The trades a win.

A “win”.

Someone joked a few weeks ago about trading Spooner for Gagner. We have essentially traded Eberle for Gagner and whatever buyout penalty we’ll be stuck with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad