Pre-Game Talk: Edm v StL Thursday 7 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
5.5M for a guy playing on the third pairing. That's some good cap management. :eek:

Another complainer. Team could go on a 10 game winning streak and this complainer would complain. Sekera is back from a serious injury, where do you think he should play? Ever hear of the expression " Ease their way back into game shape"

Reactions: CantHaveTkachev

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
The Oilers simply cannot afford any regulation losses.

Yeah, the 2 W 1 L theory is what we need to get to the playoffs, but it isn't going to happen. You could see that over a smaller sample size but there will be another time this season where the Oilers drop 3-4 in a row. It's inevitable and happens to every single team in this league.

You need to counter that with winning a string of games in a row so that you can have a not to optimal week once in a while.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Big chance to get that elusive 3 game streak. They are playing with enough confidence to play with anybody right now.

Reactions: shoop

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
This is the internet. You need to work on your emoji game haha.
meme game too

this is Simpsons country
utzTCyo.png

Reactions: shoop

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yeah, the 2 W 1 L theory is what we need to get to the playoffs, but it isn't going to happen. You could see that over a smaller sample size but there will be another time this season where the Oilers drop 3-4 in a row. It's inevitable and happens to every single team in this league.

You need to counter that with winning a string of games in a row so that you can have a not to optimal week once in a while.
The Oilers need a long winning streak to get back into the playoff picture and to mitigate any possible future slumps.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

We will see, I was not saying that it has to be 1L 2W all the time in that order. The point is that the last 3gp brought us a step closer to the playoffs and the won't fall with a loss against STL. Next two games are very winnable imho and that would bring us right back on good pace.

This said, I don't think they will get there this year (of course a bit of hope is left, but not realistic imo). I just decided to play this game and until the pace breaks completely I am sticking with it :thumbu:

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Not really a must win, 1 L 2W starting from NSH game would take us to the playoffs.

But it sure as hell would be pleasant to get there ahead of schedule! So go Oilers!
I mean, until this team gets itself back into a playoff spot and digs out of the hole they've created for themselves... yeah, every game is must win.

We can not afford to come away without points.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I mean, until this team gets itself back into a playoff spot and digs out of the hole they've created for themselves... yeah, every game is must win.

We can not afford to come away without points.
I hear what you are saying, but I am not sure I am buying it. It would be nice to be in a playoff spot sooner rather than later. But it is not a necessity to streak our selves in. If we are 6 pts back by the end of February then yes, a streak is the only thing that could save us, but right now we have 48 games to get back, and the last three brought us closer. They need to think about going the distance and not collapse if losing a game like this (or like last loss against nsh).

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Why not? If you want to win the WC we probably cannot afford it, but to make the playoffs we can afford quite a few.
Because many of these games are against teams they're chasing. It's not simply about gaining points, it's about depriving opposition of them as well. It's been brought up many times in the past month that they are "only X points out of a playoff spot" but every time they lose that number gets higher. The teams above them are where they are because they consistently win. From this point on the Oilers have to play at roughly a 66% winning percentage to guarantee themselves a spot.

The best and worst thing about the standings right now is that the Pacific division is very weak and susceptible. The Oilers could conceivably sneak into the #3 spot but would have to outplay the Flames and Sharks considerably for the rest of the season.

Reactions: LaGu

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Because many of these games are against teams they're chasing. It's not simply about gaining points, it's about depriving opposition of them as well. It's been brought up many times in the past month that they are "only X points out of a playoff spot" but every time they lose that number gets higher. The teams above them are where they are because they consistently win. From this point on the Oilers have to play at roughly a 66% winning percentage to guarantee themselves a spot.

The best and worst thing about the standings right now is that the Pacific division is very weak and susceptible. The Oilers could conceivably sneak into the #3 spot but would have to outplay the Flames and Sharks considerably for the rest of the season.

That's right, but I honestly don't think we are chasing NSH or STL. Hence I am not that worried about losing against the as long as the 66%wp is kept.

A regulation loss against ANA, SJS, CGY, VAN or Vegas would be much much worse though. There I think your point is more valid, even if not 100% accurate.

sundaysleftovers

Feb 28, 2013
Saskatchewan

Why is the pacific weak? The top 2 teams in our division are at the top of the NHL standings, top 5. We best be fighting for a wild card spot come end of January or 3rd in the division.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
That's right, but I honestly don't think we are chasing NSH or STL. Hence I am not that worried about losing against the as long as the 66%wp is kept.

A regulation loss against ANA, SJS, CGY, VAN or Vegas would be much much worse though. There I think your point is more valid, even if not 100% accurate.
They aren't chasing them but the points are still important. The Oilers have pissed away many points at home this year and they need to make Edmonton a place of horror for opposing teams, not their fans. The fact of the matter is they need to assert themselves against the best teams of the league so we don't have anymore "Buffalos" or "Phillys" or "Detroits" that have already plagued them this year. The margin for error is razor thin at this point and every single point they pick up is key. They haven't been out of 14th place in a couple months now and every single time we think they've turned the corner they manage to lose.

Last year the Oilers lost in regulation 26 times. They've already lost 17 times in regulation this year and we're not even at the halfway point of the season. They also only lost at home in regulation 12 times. They've already lost 10 times in regulation this season at home.

After Christmas there's a long stretch of difficult teams they need to beat. They need to bank points right now just in case they slide later on.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Why is the pacific weak? The top 2 teams in our division are at the top of the NHL standings, top 5. We best be fighting for a wild card spot come end of January or 3rd in the division.
San Jose wouldn't be in a playoff spot without the current format. That should tell you all you need to know about the Pacific division.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Another complainer. Team could go on a 10 game winning streak and this complainer would complain. Sekera is back from a serious injury, where do you think he should play? Ever hear of the expression " Ease their way back into game shape"

Why are you insulting me? Why not read the entirety of the thread?

Keep the personal insults to yourself.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I got my Blues fan roommate a Tarasenko tshirt for Christmas(and got myself a McDavid tshirt), so we're ready for a real house rivalry for this one.

Reactions: McTrashBoat

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
The Golden Knights are a good example of momentum at work in the NHL. They may be near the top of the NHL standings through 35 games, but they are not a top team in the NHL and that'll become obvious in time.

I'm not sure how "weak" the division is but the NHL itself is a parity filled hellscape. The best reason for hope is the Oilers are built to body the division (did it last year, are still doing it this year) and half the games remaining are against the Pacific.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
The Golden Knights are a good example of momentum at work in the NHL. They may be near the top of the NHL standings through 35 games, but they are not a top team in the NHL and that'll become obvious in time.

I'm not sure how "weak" the division is but the NHL itself is a parity filled hellscape. The best reason for hope is the Oilers are built to body the division (did it last year, are still doing it this year) and half the games remaining are against the Pacific.
we'll probably have to wait a year to see what's really there

lest we forget division winning Colorado and Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad