Proposal: EDM - TOR

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Honestly the value is pretty fair for both sides imo. I’m not sure either side does it though. Toronto is gambling Bouchard can immediately step into a top 4 role, whereas we can bring him along slowly. Meanwhile, we’d have to make a bunch of other moves to clear that kind of cap. If Neal and Russell are both moved first, I could see it being a fit. Dermott coming back means we could also include Benning (right shot #5 dman) as an insurance policy for Toronto. Especially considering Benning was linked to Toronto all year.

overall, pretty good proposal

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Nylander isn’t available.

It’s endlessly frustrating that Nylander can even put up 28g and 56p in 62gp and he’s still only worth Evan Bouchard. When we’re a cap focused team, we’re not going to dump the 30g/70p winger who’s only making 6.9m.

The only reason that Bouchard is even remotely appealing to the Leafs is the way he shoots. The Barrie fiasco this year has underlined that the last thing we need is another offensive defender, we need two way and defensive guys, and most likely veterans. We have Rielly and Sandin projecting as offensive talents so Bouchard won’t get PP time here and does he even have the defensive game to beat out Liljegren? I’m not trying to bash him as a prospect here, I’m sure he’ll be a great player for the Oilers for a long time, but you might as well be offering a good centre prospect.

The fit isn’t there, the value isn’t there. I don’t think the Leafs consider it at all.

Thqre

Nov 7, 2019
Not sold on Bouchard. If we are going after young/unproven RHD with Nylander, I'd be looking at Soderstrom (ARI), Myer (Phil), Seider (Det - not going to happen)

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
The only way Bouchard or Broberg get traded is if they turned out to be HUGE flops. They are the future of Edmonton's blueline.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Interesting responses so far. Kind of as I expected. Seems to be an overrating of the value of Nylander mostly. Not necessarily Nylander himself... but the general value of a winger.

The thing that needs to be realized is in todays game it is basically impossible to acquire a high end, blue chip Defense prospect or Top pairing NHL Defender, without drafting them and developing them yourself. It just doesn't happen. The premium value on high end Dmen is too much.

Since proposing the deal I actually think I have sided slightly with Oilers fans in that the value definitely favors Toronto a tad due to that premium price of Defenders. Especially compared to the value of a Winger. And Bouchard is a fantastic prospect who has developed nicely in the AHL this year on the defensive side of things. He should be ready to step into a Top 4 role for the Oilers potentially as soon as next October.

I had kind of thought that with Jones and Bear breaking into the NHL so well, as well as already having Nurse, Larsson, Klefbom, and Broberg in the system that perhaps they had an opportunity to deal from a strength to get a weakness. We'll see how AA does with the Oilers. But I do not like AA as a player at all, I think he is truly awful and wont move the needle at all in Edmonton hence why I think they could be in the market for legit Top 6 winger help again this summer.

So ya, I get why Oilers fans would be saying no. Though I think at some point a time will come where they need to make a move to bolster that Top 6 more. McDavid and Drai are absolutely great but they need more help. Perhaps a smaller deal along the lines of Kapanen/Larsson ends up being the solution between the two teams instead.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Interesting responses so far. Kind of as I expected. Seems to be an overrating of the value of Nylander mostly. Not necessarily Nylander himself... but the general value of a winger.

The thing that needs to be realized is in todays game it is basically impossible to acquire a high end, blue chip Defense prospect or Top pairing NHL Defender, without drafting them and developing them yourself. It just doesn't happen. The premium value on high end Dmen is too much.

Since proposing the deal I actually think I have sided slightly with Oilers fans in that the value definitely favors Toronto a tad due to that premium price of Defenders. Especially compared to the value of a Winger. And Bouchard is a fantastic prospect who has developed nicely in the AHL this year on the defensive side of things. He should be ready to step into a Top 4 role for the Oilers potentially as soon as next October.

I had kind of thought that with Jones and Bear breaking into the NHL so well, as well as already having Nurse, Larsson, Klefbom, and Broberg in the system that perhaps they had an opportunity to deal from a strength to get a weakness. We'll see how AA does with the Oilers. But I do not like AA as a player at all, I think he is truly awful and wont move the needle at all in Edmonton hence why I think they could be in the market for legit Top 6 winger help again this summer.

So ya, I get why Oilers fans would be saying no. Though I think at some point a time will come where they need to make a move to bolster that Top 6 more. McDavid and Drai are absolutely great but they need more help. Perhaps a smaller deal along the lines of Kapanen/Larsson ends up being the solution between the two teams instead.

Here's the thing.... teams don't trade players who are currently at the top end of their lineup (even if they're wingers) for picks/prospects, unless they are trying to dump them. The Leafs are very happy with Nylander's play this year, and have been very happy with his play (even with it costing $7m) for 3 out of his 4 seasons in the league -- so there is little reason to believe he cannot continue it.

When you see deals like this happen, is when teams either:
- Have a guy they know they cannot resign (not the case here)
- Have a guy they need to clear out in order to make cap space for other players (again, not the case here, Kerfoot/Johnsson will go first if required)
- Are a rebuilding team, who they feel the player is not going to be part of the long term plans (again, not the case here)

The one disconnect with reality that these boards suffers from as a whole, is an over-valuing of picks/ prospects (remember, it did start as Hockey's Future Boards), and the reasons that teams trade for them. If you're a team who thinks they can win now, you don't a highly valued member of your team to get a guy that might help you in 2-4 years.

Most GMs primary focus is patching making their NHL team better today. They acquire prospects when they have an excess of something, because they know that prospects are key to organizational depth, and getting bargain contracts.

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006
Unlike the OP’s belief, this is criminally under valuing Nylander given his 2019/20 production. If he is traded, it will be alone for a more established RHD than can play a strong defensive game from the get go and has similar term.

Also, Benning was never connected to Toronto for anything more than a late pick and those connections never started or were confirmed in TO.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Not sold on Bouchard. If we are going after young/unproven RHD with Nylander, I'd be looking at Soderstrom (ARI), Myer (Phil), Seider (Det - not going to happen)

You'd take Philippe Myers over Evan Bouchard?

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I agree with your point of needing the low cap of ELC but Bouchard will be in the 2nd next year. Being in the AHL still eats a year off it.

He’s worth more to us regardless as he’s waiver exemption till 22-23

Last edited:

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I agree with your point of needing the low cap of ELC but Bouchard will be in the 2nd next year. Being in the AHL still eats a year off it.

Bouchard is in a special class because of his birth date. As long as he doesn’t play 9 games for the Oilers this season his elc slides again. The first year of his elc will begin next season.

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
nah pretty awful for the leafs.
I feel this is bad value for the Leafs. It makes it look like Nylander is barely worth more than Bouchard.

Not good at all, I wouldn’t do it for Nylander alone, but adding Dermott makes it that much worse.

exactly ... at this point, nylander might have one of the top 10 (non rookie) contracts in the league.
remove dermott and you might get traction, even then the leafs might say no

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Willy is a completely different player this season and his contract will turn out to be a steal. If the Leafs miss the playoffs and start slow again next season I think Marner is the one to go and Dubas goes big game hunting on the blueline.
Kapanen first...

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
Honestly the value is pretty fair for both sides imo. I’m not sure either side does it though. Toronto is gambling Bouchard can immediately step into a top 4 role, whereas we can bring him along slowly. Meanwhile, we’d have to make a bunch of other moves to clear that kind of cap. If Neal and Russell are both moved first, I could see it being a fit. Dermott coming back means we could also include Benning (right shot #5 dman) as an insurance policy for Toronto. Especially considering Benning was linked to Toronto all year.

overall, pretty good proposal
It makes no sense from a Edm standpoint. They have been trying to pouch that big rhd puck moving Dman for years. Took chance on Larson was disappointed. Now they got bouchard on the door step and they are going to trade him for a way less need. Lol nope

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Is it somehow contingent on both teams losing in the first round? Does the deal collapse if one or both teams get through round one? Playoffs are not even guaranteed for either team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad