Proposal: EDM - TOR

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Let me preface this by saying I'm not a fan of either team, and in fact dont particularly like either team either so there's no bias involved here.

But I was discussing the Leafs situation they've put themselves in over the last few months and kind of got thinking this idea. And the more I've thought about it, the more I really think it makes a tonne of sense for both teams and could turn both teams into ridiculous powerhouses quickly.

So here's the proposal with my reasoning afterwards:

:edmonton

- William Nylander
- Travis Dermott

:leafs
- Evan Bouchard
- Edmonton 2020 1st Round pick(Roughly 20th overall)

First of all. It's a draft day deal, after the Oilers make the playoffs but lose in the first round. And after Toronto also squeaks into the playoffs but also lose in the first round.

From Toronto's perspective I see it like this. Something needs to change with the makeup of the team. They tried coaching this year and it didn't really improve to the levels they were hoping it would I'm sure(Though injuries definitely haven't helped this). They've got a tonne of money spent on forwards and the result is little money left available for Dmen. Dubas IMO really alluded to a big change in his post deadline press conference, when he mentioned having talks about some things that are more draft day type of deals(IE big trades that change the look of a roster). So, for Toronto they make this trade and immediately gain a tonne of cap space. they get the 7M Nylander is making on average, as well as not having to worry about the new deal Dermott would be getting this summer. Realistically it frees up as much as 9-10M in space for this summer for them. Now lets talk about what they are getting in return.

Bouchard is a big, Right Handed Dman with a canon of a shot, good skater, great offensive instincts, and he's now spent an entire year in the AHL really working on his all around game(IMO the AHL is as good a place as you can find to learn what it takes to Defend well at the NHL level). He's a really good prospect with high upside and NHL ready for 2020/21 season. And as a Right Shot defender he pretty much fits perfectly into what the Leafs really need. They also get a 1st round pick, which gets them back into the 2020 1st round of the draft after losing there own pick to the Canes in the Marleau deal. There's a lot of value in making a selection here because especially in todays NHL where the cap exists, the reliance on young players and ELC contracts is huge for having extended success and cup windows beyond 1-2 years. So IMO they should keep the pick and actually select a player(I'd go Best forward available). But they could also use the pick as currency to go out and add a forward to replace Nylander. Someone like Rakell could fit the Leafs really well and much cheaper. But again, IMO the best course of action would be select a player. If anything it makes it much easier to move the 2021 1st rounder later on in the season knowing you got to select in the 1st round back in 2020 so you're not going 3 drafts in a row without a 1st pick(Since they didn't have one in 2019 either). So maybe at the 2021 deadline they trade a 2021 1st + for a guy like Rakell at that point and get 2 Cup runs with him on the team. They also get that cap space that was previously discusses which in and of itself carries value for Toronto. Now all of a sudden they could have money to go out and target another Defender like Brodie(Who they've been interested in for a while now) to add to that D group. Or perhaps even make a play for Pietrangelo.

Long story short. Leafs get a high end Defensive prospect who is NHL ready right now, who fills a major need for the Leafs, and they get the much needed flexibility of almost 10M in cap space to tinker with the roster in free agency that summer.

From the Oilers perspective I see it like this. They've just made the playoffs. They lost in the first or 2nd round to a good Vegas/Vancouver team. But they've gotten that taste of playoff hockey again and now they're desperate for more. A big reason why they just made the playoffs besides the obvious Connor and Leon, is the emergence of Ethan Bear and Caleb Jones as legit NHL Dmen, and in Bear he's a legit Top 4 guy already. These guys breaking out along with drafting Broberg last year makes Bouchard maybe the tiniest bit available in a trade, only a trade that gets them a legit star winger they can park next to McDavid and really take that team to another level.... Well, hello William Nylander. In Nylander they are getting a guy who's re-established himself this year as a star. He's a great skater, smart offensive player, and when he's on his game he has the creativity that most players in the league only dream of. An almost perfect fit to pair with McDavid I think. They also get Dermott, a solid NHL level Dman, who can come into that D group and be a contributor in a less pressured role than what he was playing in Toronto. Yes the price to get Nylander is a lot, but this move takes nothing away from the current Oilers lineup that just made the playoffs, and turns them into a powerhouse in the West.

Capwise, they add almost 10M in cap space, which would require some maneuvering in order to make it work. But the beauty about the offseason is it's much easier to work around the cap issues than it is in the summer. At that point Russel only has 1 year left on his deal at 4M. Mike Smith and his cap hit expires, so does Mike Green. So does Brandon Mannings buried money, and quite frankly the entire depth of the Oilers is either a UFA or RFA so they have flexibility to figure things out. Perhaps after making this deal they could turn around and offload Athanasiou and his RFA contract to recuperate some of the draft picks they just lost in the Nylander deal and in acquiring AA to begin with.

Long story short for the Oilers. They get a legit 1st line winger on a solid contract to pair with McDavid for a long time, and they get a solid NHL Dman that has shown he can contribute when used in the right role.

Here's how I would look at each teams rosters(The Top lines anyway) for the 2020/21 season after the trade

Leafs:

Marner - Matthews - Hyman
Kapanen - Tavares - Mikheyev
Engvall - Kerfoot - ???

Rielly - xxx
Muzzin - Bouchard
Sandin - Holl
Liljegren

The key here being the 10M in cap space saved in the deal, using that to go get a Brodie or impact Top 4 Defender for that hole in the lineup. I'd also consider bring Nicholas Robertson into the mix at this point for the forward group as well.

Oilers:

Nylander - McDavid - Kassian
RNH - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Neal - Khara - ???

Klefbom - Bear
Nurse - Larsson
Jones - Dermott

While still having Broberg coming up on that Defense. And the ability to maneuver cap space if needed to make it work in the summer.

Anyway. It's a huge deal, but a deal I could see both teams benefiting a tonne from in the long run. And I think the value is solid for both teams as well. Thoughts from Oilers or Leafs fans, or general fans? Like I said at the beginning I'm not a fan of either team here, I've just spent the last 3 hours during a slow day at work pondering this deal and really think it's a fit for both ends.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Not commenting on the value of the proposal. I am not a fan of either team so I don't want to speak on their behalf, but adding Nylander and Dermott will cost the Oilers roughly $10million next season. With $12.5 million in cap space and only 11 players signed for next year I don't see how Edmonton makes this work.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Bouchard is essentially a cheaper Tyson Barrie, who hasn't worked in TO. They need defensive help, not more of the same,

Edmonton won't trade Bouchard AND a first for another high value forward contract. They have those already, with too many holes left to fill. Plus Bouchard is the RHD they've needed for a century or so, becuse you can only draft them, not trade for them(Karlsson, Hamillton, Burns, Barrie, Hamonic, Myers, Trouba, Montour, Faulk, Vatanen, DeAngelo, Fox, Weber, Subban, Jones, Pionk, Shattenkirk, Petry, Jokiharju, and Byfuglien not withstanding).

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
From a Toronto perspective... I don't believe this works.

Evan Bouchard may be one of the top defensive prospects currently outside of the NHL, but the Leafs need a right side defenceman who can make a substantial impact in their top 4 today (next year). While I'm sure they would LOVE to add Evan Bouchard and play him on the 3rd pair next year, they're not going to trade Willy Nylander to make that happen.

I think a deal would have to be something more along the lines of Nylander for Larsson & Bouchard. Kapanen for Bouchard. Nylander for Athanasiou & Bouchard, or Nylander for Athanasiou and Larsson.

From the Edmonton perspective...

@Boondock - The oilers have $69m committed to 15 players next year (capfriendly does not include currently injured players in this number).. so assuming an $84m cap, they have $15m to spend on 8 guys. I believe they could fit William Nylander without too much of an issue, as it would still leave $8m to spend on 6 players, including Athanasiou and primarily bottom of the lineup guys.

Overall, it's a lot to give up for Willy Nylander... so I wonder if they can do better without giving up all those futures.

Reactions: Boondock

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
We’re a capped team and Bouchards 3 year ELC starts next year. So while the value probably favors us there’s no way we would do it

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Theyre not going to trade Nylander for a prospect (even a bluechip one)

Considering how highly they value him, theyd need a player immediately able to step into a top pairing as the return.

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
@Pierce Hawthorne

Just wanted to give you a thumbs up for giving so much thought into this proposal. Unfortunately I cannot say a whole lot as I do not know much about Bouchard other what I have read.

Last edited:

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Toronto is not interested in selling for picks and prospects and I don't see how the Oilers make the cap work.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
That's a long ass time thinking about two teams you don't like. Pretty f***ing weird too.

Toronto won't trade Nylander for maybes, especially not maybes that don't fill a need. And Edmonton has more need for their maybes than Nylander. They already have top end offense, and their D is just as bad as ours, and is missing someone like Bouchard.

3 hours for something that takes 3 seconds to see doesn't work.

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
So bouchard fits because he's a rhd and his one year of experience of ahl lets him fit right into the nhl lineup or later on leafs can flip him for a better package?

Leafs need a shot suppressor that can play on the right side. One that prevents high danger scoring chances and shots from the point. To suggest gambling on a first year AHL prospect and maybe insinuating he can make a large impact on the leafs is astonishing. He's probably a good offensive D, but Toronto has rielly, dermott, liljegren, sandin for that. I doubt his defensive capabilities are as good as a manson or brodie (he can get there but it will take time and by then leafs cup window will be gone).

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Edmonton fans, what’s book on Bouchard. Is Bouchard more a PMD or a Defensively oriented D?

He is the Oiler's top prospect. He is a puck-moving right-hand shot defenseman which the team has lacked for over a decade. He is working on his defensive game and his skating. It is expected that Bouchard will make the team next year. He is currently having a great year in the AHL as a 20 year old.

I have my serious doubts that Bouchard will be traded by Holland. He is exactly what this team needs.

Reactions: Robtom18 and Petrus

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
We’re a capped team and Bouchards 3 year ELC starts next year. So while the value probably favors us there’s no way we would do it

I agree with your point of needing the low cap of ELC but Bouchard will be in the 2nd next year. Being in the AHL still eats a year off it.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Willy is a completely different player this season and his contract will turn out to be a steal. If the Leafs miss the playoffs and start slow again next season I think Marner is the one to go and Dubas goes big game hunting on the blueline.

Reactions: Scrapy1980

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
I agree with your point of needing the low cap of ELC but Bouchard will be in the 2nd next year. Being in the AHL still eats a year off it.

No it doesn’t, there’s some weird rule cause he was a late birthday in his draft year that allows his contract to slide.

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017

No that is incorrect
Since he is post draft year two his contract slides unless he plays 9 games NHL this year
He is effectively a CHL player that is allowed to play in AHL this season

Reactions: RattsSSV

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I'd rather just keep Nylander, and Edmonton would be stupid to give up on Bouchard. I don't think the value is awful, I just don't see a good fit for either team

Reactions: LTIR

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad