Confirmed with Link: [EDM/TBL] Sam Gagner For Teddy Purcell; Then TBL Trades Gagner to ARZ Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm glad Gagner is gone. He's too slow and off inconsistent offensively and he makes too many mistakes in the d-zone and misses too many defensive coverages.

Roy is better for us. He's cheaper (Even if we resign him he'll be cheaper), he makes faster decisions, he's better at pressuring the opposition and most importantly he seems to have chemistry with Yakupov and that equates to eventually having two proper scoring lines.

The problem is we got stuck with a $4 million bill on Purcell for next season.

Would've rather have just traded Gagner for just straight up for cap room to Phoenix if this is how it was going to turn out.

Agreed that Roy is the better player.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
What does a player have to do on a bad team to not suck in your opinion?

Battle hard. Stick up for their teammates. Win one-on-one battles. Play positionally sound defence.

That's not an exhaustive list, but it's first four that come to mind.

Sam was here for a long time. He was good at one of those things, some of the time: He stuck up for his teammates (Getting force-fed Beauchemin left hands comes to mind).

He was terrible at playing positionally sound defence. He was notorious for losing one-on-one battles and he was about the last guy who looked like he was battling hard while on the ice.

And in case you're wondering, very few guys meet my "not sucking" criteria on this current team. Which makes sense, they're second last in the league.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Battle hard. Stick up for their teammates. Win one-on-one battles. Play positionally sound defence.

That's not an exhaustive list, but it's first four that come to mind.

Sam was here for a long time. He was good at one of those things, some of the time: He stuck up for his teammates (Getting force-fed Beauchemin left hands comes to mind).

He was terrible at playing positionally sound defence. He was notorious for losing one-on-one battles and he was about the last guy who looked like he was battling hard while on the ice.

And in case you're wondering, very few guys meet my "not sucking" criteria on this current team. Which makes sense, they're second last in the league.

Fair, except prior to the coaching abortion that was Eakins Gagner had made strides in the bolded. in the Krueger year for instance Gags would be most likely guy to found covering back for D. Not particularly good at D but at least recognizing and filling the spot when D's pinched.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The problem is we got stuck with a $4 million bill on Purcell for next season.

Would've rather have just traded Gagner for just straight up for cap room to Phoenix if this is how it was going to turn out.

Agreed that Roy is the better player.

Somebody had Teddybear in the line up in one of the most recent GDT's I don't know if this has been a trend but I had a lol moment with that.

Purcell has his spots but wow, could you find a more disinterested player making 4M. jebus. This guy needs cattle prods to motivate. Its embarrassing.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Somebody had Teddybear in the line up in one of the most recent GDT's I don't know if this has been a trend but I had a lol moment with that.

Purcell has his spots but wow, could you find a more disinterested player making 4M. jebus. This guy needs cattle prods to motivate. Its embarrassing.

Yep. Pussell is pretty much useless. When a game matters, you can't count on getting his game with only below average effort that pops up like every 1 in 5 games. Most likely, you're going to get a whole new level of soft and lazy from a guy that has never heard of the defensive zone. You'd be hard pressed to find someone more disinterested in being a successful hockey player, since Daigle.

It drove me nuts when I was in Edmonton at the start of the year. Any time there's a guy floating around in the neutral zone, when he should be backchecking, you just knew it was him.

Fair, except prior to the coaching abortion that was Eakins Gagner had made strides in the bolded. in the Krueger year for instance Gags would be most likely guy to found covering back for D. Not particularly good at D but at least recognizing and filling the spot when D's pinched.

Ya, he even played some PK in the past, and didn't look out of place. He's a case of poor coaching, and a poor situation. He needed a fresh start.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Gotta give Gagner credit. He's possibly the most consistent player in the history of the NHL. In 8 NHL seasons he never scored less than 37 or more than 49 points, with 4 of those seasons at 41 and 42 point mark. :laugh:

Blue And Orange

Oilers & Seahawks
Jan 21, 2010
Toronto
Gotta give Gagner credit. He's possibly the most consistent player in the history of the NHL. In 8 NHL seasons he never scored less than 37 or more than 49 points, with 4 of those seasons at 41 and 42 point mark. :laugh:

I would say 41 points on that offensive-wasteland of a team is pretty respectable to say the least.

By the way, wasn't there an avatar bet on who would score more points between Purcell and Gagner?

Last edited:

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
I would say 41 points on that offensive-wasteland of a team is pretty respectable to say the least.

By the way, wasn't there an avatar bet on who would score more points between Purcell and Gagner?

It's not bad, but not good enough given that he's also consistently posting in the -20s. But he's done well enough for himself with his skill set at the age of 25. Will probably play 1000 games in the NHL when all's said and done.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park

Poor worraps. Really stopped posting here after Gagner grabbed the lead.

Sam Gagner 81GP 15G 26A 41Pts -28
Teddy Purcell 82GP 12G 22A 34Pts -33

Time to go avatar hunting!

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

What a fantastic deal that was. Just another ****** deal from the reigning champ of them.

"B-But we'll be so much better with Gagner!" As it turns out, no we won't.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Yep. Lots of timing posts. Especially early in year when Purcell had around 8pts to Gagner's 2.

Gagner had a slow start and was playing with guys like Korpikoski. As the Yotes got worse through the season selling out talent Gagner of course had worse and worse players to play with. Purcell oddly enough ended up playing with Roy and Yak who have both produced well but pretty much as a tandem and with Purcell doing very little when he is on that line.

But I remember all the Purcell will definitely have more production than Gagner. People were guaranteeing that.

Where are those posters?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
They're both mediocre players (relative to their salary).

Tampa won this trade by getting $4+ million in cap room.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
This thread is a joke.

Purcell is better than Gagner in actual game effectiveness just based on the fact he plays the wing.

Gagner is a terrible center. Terrible winger is better than terrible center any day of the week.

Curious about the ice time, PP time, quality of competition, give aways etc. All of which Gagner is historically terrible at.

No one should be trying to support Gagner period.

Good riddance.

Last edited:

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
This thread is a joke.

Purcell is better than Gagner in actual game effectiveness just based on the fact he plays the wing.

Gagner is a terrible center. Terrible winger is better than terrible center any day of the week.

Curious about the ice time, PP time, quality of competition, give aways etc. All of which Gagner is historically terrible at.

No one should be trying to support Gagner period.

Good riddance.

The Gagner hate on this board is ridiculous. He might be a defensive hole but he's an above average offensive player that plays with a ton of heart. At best he's an average 2C or an excellent 3C option if the team is running 3 scoring lines. Gagner's main problem is teams keep playing him above his capabilities and he's paid about 1.2 million to much. Having Gagner on this team at the start of the season would have either kept Draisaitl in the minors or Arcobello in the AHL or 13th forward.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The Gagner hate on this board is ridiculous. He might be a defensive hole but he's an above average offensive player that plays with a ton of heart. At best he's an average 2C or an excellent 3C option if the team is running 3 scoring lines. Gagner's main problem is teams keep playing him above his capabilities and he's paid about 1.2 million to much. Having Gagner on this team at the start of the season would have either kept Draisaitl in the minors or Arcobello in the AHL or 13th forward.

Centres that are a defensive hole as you put it are a major liability for a team to carry. Especially when you give them butter soft minutes and they still cant keep their head above water.

Quite simply...players like Gagner do not help teams win...he was entirely expendable for that reason.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth

So many players are better under Nelson. I wonder if Gagner would of improved his defensive side under him.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Centres that are a defensive hole as you put it are a major liability for a team to carry. Especially when you give them butter soft minutes and they still cant keep their head above water.

Quite simply...players like Gagner do not help teams win...he was entirely expendable for that reason.

I tend to agree with that. The Oilers could use Gagner in a limited role if they had Crosby and Getzlaf as their top 2 centres, but relying on him as 2C going forward would not help this team to ever make play-offs.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
why are people still compelled to talk about this. Gagner sucks, Purcell kind of sucks. Gagner is a terrible, small centre who has never done anything to help a team win. Purcell is a run of the mill, passenger soft skill winger who goes as the team goes. Moving on...

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Yep. Lots of timing posts. Especially early in year when Purcell had around 8pts to Gagner's 2.

Gagner had a slow start and was playing with guys like Korpikoski. As the Yotes got worse through the season selling out talent Gagner of course had worse and worse players to play with. Purcell oddly enough ended up playing with Roy and Yak who have both produced well but pretty much as a tandem and with Purcell doing very little when he is on that line.

But I remember all the Purcell will definitely have more production than Gagner. People were guaranteeing that.

Where are those posters?

Some are still bitter, calling the thread that they participated in "a joke" while moving on to yammer on about how Marincin > Klefbom.

Some ran away with their tails between their legs.

But the one who t-rolled for months and months with gory/demeaning Gagner avatars/gifs/pics is now a ghost here. Never thought an Oilers fan would stoop so low as to constantly pick on a single OILER at the lowest point of his career and health. Almost sociopathic.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
why are people still compelled to talk about this. Gagner sucks, Purcell kind of sucks. Gagner is a terrible, small centre who has never done anything to help a team win. Purcell is a run of the mill, passenger soft skill winger who goes as the team goes. Moving on...

Because it's another in a long line of mistakes.

Running with basically 2 NHL centers this season probably doomed this team more than anything else.

McDreamy

Losing credibility
Feb 25, 2009
Absolutely.

And it also highlights the segment of Oilers fans who cheer the mistakes.

If Gagner was here instead of Purcell we would have still been 3rd last. Just like last year.

"Cheer the mistakes" my ass. Purcell isn't nearly as bad as most of you here seem to think, imo. I'm not sure what you guys were expecting from him.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
If Gagner was here instead of Purcell we would have still been 3rd last. Just like last year.

"Cheer the mistakes" my ass. Purcell isn't nearly as bad as most of you here seem to think, imo. I'm not sure what you guys were expecting from him.

I repeat, going into the NHL season with 2 NHL centers is a mistake. If MacT trades Gagner and immediately replaces him with Roy, then the point is moot. He didn't, instead deciding to throw Leon to the wolves, waste a year of his ELC, and consequently costing us a lot more than just the initial trade.

MacT has made a lot of dumb moves and this is just another one. The issue isn't that he traded Gagner away, it's that he didn't replace him.

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009

Agreed. Too bad we just didn't wipe our hands of either like TB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad