Proposal: EDM-STL

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
This is a proposal based on St. Louis resigning Petro, if that doesn't happen than this would never work.

EDM acquires:
Colton Parayko - 27yrs old - 2 more years @ 5.5 mil

St. Louis acquires:
Oscar Klefbom - 27yrs old - 3 more years @ 4.167 mil
B level prospect

If St. Louis resigns Petro, they will need to shed salary and will have a log jam on the right side of their defense with Petro, Parayko and Faulk.

St. Louis also does not have a high end LHD on their current team and could benefit greatly from a top pairing guy like Klefbom who played the 5th most TOI in the league this season.

Leave them with:
Klefbom-Petro
Dunn-Faulk
Gunnarson/Scandella - Bortuzzo

Edmonton would need to move some bodies around on their blue line to make this work (Larsson in particular) but would have Parayko to shelter Bouchard moving forward on the right side.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
It would take more than that for the Blues to trade Parayko. The only they move him is if they can receive a package of high end futures after signing Petro to clear salary and restock the cupboard. In other words, he's likely not moving. Klefbom and a B prospect doesn't move the needle.

Reactions: Unbiased Fan

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
This is a proposal based on St. Louis resigning Petro, if that doesn't happen than this would never work.

EDM acquires:

St. Louis acquires:
B level prospect

If St. Louis resigns Petro, they will need to shed salary and will have a log jam on the right side of their defense with Petro, Parayko and Faulk.

St. Louis also does not have a high end LHD on their current team and could benefit greatly from a top pairing guy like Klefbom who played the 5th most TOI in the league this season.

Leave them with:
Klefbom-Petro
Dunn-Faulk

Edmonton would need to move some bodies around on their blue line to make this work (Larsson in particular) but would have Parayko to shelter Bouchard moving forward on the right side.
By B prospect, do you mean a prospect who's name starts with a "B" like Broberg or Bouchard?

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Let's not go crazy here. Klefbom having an extra year and a lower cap hit has value. Parayko is excellent, certainly, but as usual Klefbom is getting underrated.
He was just offered with a B level prospect for Parayko - not sure I would consider that underrating.

Reactions: HighNote

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
The extra year and lower cap hit definitely adds value.
Klefbom seems to be so under rated around the league.

He eats a ton of minutes and plays against top opposition while keeping his head above water..
He also just quarter backed the best power play the league has seen in 30+ years.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The extra year and lower cap hit definitely adds value.
Klefbom seems to be so under rated around the league.

He eats a ton of minutes and plays against top opposition while keeping his head above water..
He also just quarter backed the best power play the league has seen in 30+ years.
Almost any dman would look good on a PP with McDavid and Draisaitl.

Reactions: 1FreakZilla3

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
I just wanted to gauge interest from fan bases, and it seems like Edmonton fans would love it while St. Louis fans hate it.
Meaning that it might be lopsided but I don't think it is as lopsided as most St. Louis fans think due to the lack of knowledge of how good Klefbom actually is..

This trade would definitely put Edmonton in an awkward place only having Nurse on the left side as a legitimate top 4LHD... there would need to be significant moves to follow...

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The fundamental problem with the deal is, it doesn't really open up space for Petro, other deals would be better. And, it's under the theory that we are too heavy on the right. Faulk's deal is bad and he was under-whelming, so it doesn't make sense to elevate him to a bigger role, while also downgrading the defense in general. If Faulk could just slide into Parayko's role, then sure it's something to think about, but Faulk of last season is far from capable of that.

We lose our best shutdown defender, that's something I don't see us doing. There really isn't any benefit for us in the deal.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I just wanted to gauge interest from fan bases, and it seems like Edmonton fans would love it while St. Louis fans hate it.
Meaning that it might be lopsided but I don't think it is as lopsided as most St. Louis fans think due to the lack of knowledge of how good Klefbom actually is..

This trade would definitely put Edmonton in an awkward place only having Nurse on the left side as a legitimate top 4LHD... there would need to be significant moves to follow...

Or, you know, they value a player that logged 25+ minutes a game on a Cup team very highly.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
The Blues don't consider this at all.

While Klefbom is a top-pairing defenseman, Parayko is a top-5 shutdown defenseman who puts up 35 points a season. Klefbom being signed an extra year is meaningless unless the Blues don't think they can extend Parayko... and even in that case they can just auction him off and that offer is comfortably beaten.

Also, Parayko has missed 13 games in his five seasons in the League. You're lucky if Klefbom is only missing 13 games a season. That's significant short term and long term; while I'd be very comfortable offering Parayko term on his next deal, I wouldn't be offering Klefbom the type of deal he'd likely be looking for.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
If you really thought Klefbom was as good as you say then you would not be trying to swap him with Parayko....

I'm probably Klefbom's biggest fan but the point would be to shore up the right side, which is better than it's been but with Klefbom/Nurse/Jones and Broberg close and Samorukov coming, the left side is much stronger than the right.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019

EDM acquires:

St. Louis acquires:
B level prospect

Leave them with:
Klefbom-Petro
Dunn-Faulk

1.5m savings is not enough to move Parayko for 60 cents on the dollar.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Thanks STL fans for keeping the bashing to minimum. This isn't close and provides no incentive to STL.

Reactions: Nightrain

quityerwhinin

Feb 9, 2017

EDM acquires:

St. Louis acquires:
B level prospect

Leave them with:
Klefbom-Petro
Dunn-Faulk

That sound you hear is Armstrong hitting the floor after falling off his chair in hysterics.

This trade makes the Blues worse, and saves them very little money. Other than that, makes perfect sense.

Reactions: westc2

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I’d do Klefbom and 14ov for Parayko. Then try to grab 15ov + Johnsson from Toronto for Larsson + Puljujarvi.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I don't believe that, every other D man on Edmonton struggled when filling in for Klef on PP1.

Klefbom has a great ability to transport the puck side-side which opened up lanes for McD and Drai to work with.

As the quarterback, he is 25th (out of 60) in PP points/60 among NHL defensemen that have 100min or more of PP time. Maybe every other D that Edmonton played on the PP struggled, but that might be more of an indication of how poor the other defensemen were vs. how good Klefbom is on the PP. I realize it's not all points, but I think you might be overstating his importance on the PP as it applies to how he'll do on another team in a trade scenario when the other team doesn't have McDavid and Draisaitl.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad