Confirmed with Link: [EDM/STL] David Perron for Magnus Paajarvi + 2nd '14 | Part 2

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Really there is a lot of known defensive players on that list. And I would love for us to somehow land Kulemin would be a awesome addition to this team Imo. And the perfect 3rd line winger.

Kulemin is the exact player I was thinking of as well for the Oilers 3rd line. Hell, I would have considered him for the 2nd line before the Perron trade.
I was saying here for over a year now that I would do Hemsky for Kulemin deal straight up and was subsequently laughed at. Now, we would all be rejoicing if the Oilers made that deal. I'm not sure what Toronto would be interested in for Kulemin but he would be a great fit for us. A Kulemin-Gordon-Jones line is something that I can get on board with. Unfortunately, the Oilers would still be short a 4th line.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
The difference between Perron and Paajarvi is that Perron can create his own offence.

The majority of Paajarvi's points come on plays that were created by his line mates.

Defsta

Dec 1, 2004
Our team salary is within 8m to the salary cap, either Hemsky goes for cheaper 3rd line help or we aren't buying much else. Especially of 4C is vacant.

Wrong wording.

After Mac's statement that he's going to get rid of Hemsky and Horcoff they have been surplus requirement, so he's anyway going relatively cheap. I would be more than happy if we can even get a decent 3rd liner and a pick in return.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Even though I'm sad to see Magnus go, I think this will be a good trade for the Oil.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Would Colorado be interested in parting with someone like John Mitchell? They are pretty ridiculous at C. Maybe to free up some short term cap? He hits and can make some points.

Nvm they aren't hurtin on cap space. Damnit.

B A T M A N*

Jun 29, 2013
Vancouver
The difference between Perron and Paajarvi is that Perron can create his own offence.

The majority of Paajarvi's points come on plays that were created by his line mates.

Bingo.

No opponent is scared when Paajarvi is skating into the zone with the puck. It's the opposite with Perron.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Bingo.

No opponent is scared when Paajarvi is skating into the zone with the puck. It's the opposite with Perron.

The thing is that they COULD have been scared when he skated into the zone with the puck, and I'm sure his coaches told him exactly how to achieve that respect. Too bad Paajarvi took their advice every 6 games.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Are people upset because they wanted to see Paajarvi grow with the team... or are they upset because they felt he could bring in more in return, whatever 'more' might have been?

I am sorry to see Magnus go, great kid with really good character who worked at his game even though I'm sure he was greatly discouraged after getting sent down to OKC. His skating stride was a thing of beauty. But... his game was still tentative. Yeah, he showed signs of improvement towards the end of last season but I think he still played far too gunshy. As he matures and gains confidence I think he'll manage to overcome most of this -- but it's just not in his natural makeup to battle hard. I really hope he does well in St. Louis, and I will still cheer for the kid no matter what.

Perron brings a high level of compete (something I think every one of us as Oilers fans noted the dearth of the last few seasons with very few exceptions -- and something MacT wanted to bring in to an anemic, lifeless group), to go along with a respectable offensive skillset and excellent puckhandling. He played PK by all accounts, and even stated on Gregor's show that he prefers LW. He's allegedly 6'0 and 205 lbs, so he isn't small, and on his twitter account he lists himself as a fitness fanatic. He also has a bit of 'rat' in his game, a bit of 'Marchand' to go along with those soft hands and 2 20g campaigns, 1 50 pt. and 2 40 pt. seasons already. What is not to like, guys? I feel like buying some of you beers, the way you are behaving.

B A T M A N*

Jun 29, 2013
Vancouver
IMO PRV will have a worse season next year than he did this year and THEN we'd want to trade but his value would be so low it wouldn't be worth it.

Defsta

Dec 1, 2004
Are people upset because they wanted to see Paajarvi grow with the team... or are they upset because they felt he could bring in more in return, whatever 'more' might have been?

That's something I'm trying to find out. Even I liked Maggie and it's sad to see him go but getting back player like Perron I'm ok trading him. In the end even his attitude was awesome and he could skate, there's nothing much more in his game what would have given me a WOW feeling. Just a decent 3rd liner at best.

skorf

Jun 30, 2013
Just walked in the door and saw this, my first thought is that Perron's concussion history is a big concern.

This was my first thought as well...

2nd was poor paajarvi going to st louis and their forward depth

3rd was i wish we got a different st. louis forward because of thought #1

skorf

Jun 30, 2013
Perron has had one, from a cheapshot by Joe Thornton three years ago. He hasn't missed a game since returning (120 games).

but look how long he was out for... the risk of concussions exponentially increases after the first one, and he had a big one so even a small hit to the head could knock him out awhile

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013

I am sorry to see Magnus go, great kid with really good character who worked at his game even though I'm sure he was greatly discouraged after getting sent down to OKC. His skating stride was a thing of beauty. But... his game was still tentative. Yeah, he showed signs of improvement towards the end of last season but I think he still played far too gunshy. As he matures and gains confidence I think he'll manage to overcome most of this -- but it's just not in his natural makeup to battle hard. I really hope he does well in St. Louis, and I will still cheer for the kid no matter what.

Perron brings a high level of compete (something I think every one of us as Oilers fans noted the dearth of the last few seasons with very few exceptions -- and something MacT wanted to bring in to an anemic, lifeless group), to go along with a respectable offensive skillset and excellent puckhandling. He played PK by all accounts, and even stated on Gregor's show that he prefers LW. He's allegedly 6'0 and 205 lbs, so he isn't small, and on his twitter account he lists himself as a fitness fanatic. He also has a bit of 'rat' in his game, a bit of 'Marchand' to go along with those soft hands and 2 20g campaigns, 1 50 pt. and 2 40 pt. seasons already. What is not to like, guys? I feel like buying some of you beers, the way you are behaving.

This guy actually knows what he is talking about. Completely agree, he has a little Marchand in his game (the exact thing people were complaining we don't have a couple days ago but somehow aren't happy with this trade :facepalm: ) and is very capable offensively even though he was playing in a defensive system for the blues. And yes people are upset about it for those reasons but also people are complaing about him being like 1 or 2 inches shorter which is dumb cause Perron is way more physical and over 6 foot and over 200 lbs. They're also complaing that MPS has so much potential but somehow Perron at 24/25 doesn't :facepalm: oh and people are complaining that MPS scored one more goal than Perron (not mentioning that Perron had way more points). Basically people know nothing about Perron, he's a **** disturber that people have been wanting us to have.

B A T M A N*

Jun 29, 2013
Vancouver

We weren't getting anyone else for Paajarvi. And I doubt anyone else was available. They were probably shopping Perron because he doesn't really fit in with the rest of the team I'm guessing...

Somebody else would've snatched up Perron and we'd be sitting with PRV as our 2LW today. We improved, not hard to see.

McQuixote

Jan 27, 2006
Edmonton, AB

I wouldn't say I'm upset, but I'd agree with both of those statements a little bit.

I think Magnus was written off a bit and this trade has a good chance of looking really, really bad in a couple years. At 22, Loui Eriksson was a 30 point player. At 22, the Sedins were 30-40 point players. I wouldn't draw a straight-line between those players and Paajarvi, but I also wouldn't write him off in the way others do. The only fact is that Paajarvi was developing, and at a rate not dissimilar to players with his background who went on to become superstars.

That he went for a very good player softens the blow a bit. However, that the Oilers had to add a significant piece - and a 2nd round pick is a significant piece for this team at this point - is troubling. I think it's likely that Paajarvi closes the offense gap a bit between him and Perron, and I think it's likely that he produces at a better points-per-salary dollar rate as soon as this season. I don't think the difference in player value is equivalent to a 2nd round pick.

I'm not upset by this trade, but I think the Oilers were:
a) impatient, which is not a good thing no matter how much that bluster might sound good on the radio, and;
b) got squeezed a bit in the brass-tacks negotiation.

B A T M A N*

Jun 29, 2013
Vancouver
I wouldn't say I'm upset, but I'd agree with both of those statements a little bit.

I think Magnus was written off a bit and this trade has a good chance of looking really, really bad in a couple years. At 22, Loui Eriksson was a 30 point player. At 22, the Sedins were 30-40 point players. I wouldn't draw a straight-line between those players and Paajarvi, but I also wouldn't write him off in the way others do. The only fact is that Paajarvi was developing, and at a rate not dissimilar to players with his background who went on to become superstars.

That he went for a very good player softens the blow a bit. However, that the Oilers had to add a significant piece - and a 2nd round pick is a significant piece for this team at this point - is troubling. I think it's likely that Paajarvi closes the offense gap a bit between him and Perron, and I think it's likely that he produces at a better points-per-salary dollar rate as soon as this season. I don't think the difference in player value is equivalent to a 2nd round pick.

I'm not upset by this trade, but I think the Oilers were:
a) impatient, which is not a good thing no matter how much that bluster might sound good on the radio, and;
b) got squeezed a bit in the brass-tacks negotiation.

A 2nd is nothing. Pitlick, Lander, Moroz etc.. Yeah... I couldn't care less about this team trading a 2nd round pick.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

I'm a little choked that we dealt two of our best assets that could've/should've been in play for a winger that isn't a big bodied winger instead of a big C or an upgrade on D.

but look how long he was out for... the risk of concussions exponentially increases after the first one, and he had a big one so even a small hit to the head could knock him out awhile

A concern for sure, but luckily it's been some time since that concussion and his brain/body should've been healing this whole time as long as he didn't have any concussions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad