Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Slater Koekkoek signs with the Oilers (1 year, $850K)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That's a very good signing. Why has he bounced around so much?
Not that good. I was shocked TB took him in 2012. Especially with Forsberg on the board.

guess this rules out hutton going there.

TB’s first round selections over the Yzerman era were not that good. But they more than made up for it in the rounds after that.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
tenor.gif

serp

Jan 17, 2016
You'd think this would catch a few GMs' eyes though.

7300deef5154b1e31ef6ccafec4df16f.png

He's only playing bottom pairing, but having an xGF 5.6% than the next guy on the team is pretty impressive.

I never thought he looked particularly good with the Hawks . I remember a few brainfarts from the 2018-19 season he had when the Hawks played my team that lead to goals. Advanced stats for guys who play sheltered minutes aren't allways a reliable indicator imho.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Based on what’s out there, it’s a decent signing.

If he plays 56- 80 games like he played against the Oilers in the play-ins, I will be over the moon with this signing.
will he play more than Caleb Jones in your opinion? unless Bouchard takes their spot fulltime.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
will he play more than Caleb Jones in your opinion? unless Bouchard takes their spot fulltime.
Due to handedness it looks like Bouchard will overrippen inn the AHL/Europe for the season even though he is probably ready for NHL minutes.

Koekkoek and Jones will both get a shot on the 2nd pair LHD and see who sticks/excels.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB

Due to handedness it looks like Bouchard will overrippen inn the AHL/Europe for the season even though he is probably ready for NHL minutes.

Koekkoek and Jones will both get a shot on the 2nd pair LHD and see who sticks/excels.

I see the pairings something like this

1: Nurse - Bear
2a: Russell - Barrie
2b: Koekkoek/Jones- Larsson
7thD: Koekkoek/Jones

Jones &/or Koekkoek on your third pairing - I think Tippett will look at chemistry of the pairings and go with the "hot-hand" approach. Maybe Nurse-Larsson on your 1st pairing??? IDK?

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
You'd think this would catch a few GMs' eyes though.

7300deef5154b1e31ef6ccafec4df16f.png

He's only playing bottom pairing, but having an xGF 5.6% than the next guy on the team is pretty impressive.

When the teammates you’re comparing to make up one of the worst defensive cores in the league though it takes away some of the impressiveness.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Not going to be the solution, but definitely a nice depth add considering the circumstances. Would've liked to see Chara, Vatanen or another dman that could give us a different look on D but can't fault him for playing it safe.

As an aside, let the crazy discounts begin on Hutton, Vatanen, Soderberg, etc

Reactions: ivanlwan and BHD

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Not going to be the solution, but definitely a nice depth add considering the circumstances. Would've liked to see Chara, Vatanen or another dman that could give us a different look on D but can't fault him for playing it safe.

As an aside, let the crazy discounts begin on Hutton, Vatanen, Soderberg, etc
I don't think there is ANY intention of this signing being a solution to the problems of the oilers D corps. I don't think anyone is saying that or delusional to believe that. I love when smaller signing or trades happen people replay with a comment to effect " plan the parade" or some other sassy/witty remarks, or put words in fans mouth. Not every trade or signing is a blockbusters, and blockbusters fail more than they succeed.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
I don't think there is ANY intention of this signing being a solution to the problems of the oilers D corps. I don't think anyone is saying that or delusional to believe that. I love when smaller signing or trades happen people replay with a comment to effect " plan the parade" or some other sassy/witty remarks, or put words in fans mouth. Not every trade or signing is a blockbusters, and blockbusters fail more than they succeed.
Who pissed in your cornflakes?

I essentially said he wasn't going to be the solution(which he's not as you mentioned) but he's a nice signing....literally nothing in my OP was sassy nor did I say at any point another fan believed he was a world breaking signing.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Who pissed in your cornflakes?

I essentially said he wasn't going to be the solution(which he's not as you mentioned) but he's a nice signing....literally nothing in my OP was sassy.
divesaitl pissed in my cornflakes.

I meant generally speaking, The little rant wasn't calling you out specifically. Im sorry if came across that way.

Reactions: Al from New Jersey

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
Another of SFY 1st round picks that didn't meet expectations. Only one 1st round pick on the roster, and that was Bolts 2nd pick in the first round (Vasy), and maybe Deangelo (but not with us). Connelly, Namesikov, Nolan Foote, Howden, Drouin are not really top 6 on a good team. Cal Foote may be another (developing slowly in the AHL).

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Haven't followed him recently, but he was solid for Tampa against Pittsburgh that year. He should fare better in a smaller role on a defensively stout team like the Oilers.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Haven't followed him recently, but he was solid for Tampa against Pittsburgh that year. He should fare better in a smaller role on a defensively stout team like the Oilers.
Hmm defensively stout? Is that the politically correct way of saying tire fire?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad